Exploding car engine, what to do?

A good idea talking to your private mechanic who owns his own shop to see what he says.

+1

Unless I missed something, the dealer is offering to install a used engine from a salvage yard for $3,500. This seems steep to me and I'd definitely discuss the price with your mechanic to see what he would charge to do the same thing.

Found elsewhere, the book hours to remove and replace an 07 Altima engine is R&R is 11.6 hours. Guessing $140/ hr (it varies widely around the USA) would take the labor alone to $1624. A used engine online can be found for anywhere between 650 to over 2K depending on miles and greed. one place had a 59K engine for 966 with a 1 yr warranty
Figuring another 500 for incidentals (fluids, belts, filters etc.) puts the dealer's cost at right around 3100.
Check Here
Assuming a known mechanic could do it for ~100/hr, that would put his cost around $2626.

I'm just posting this for the OP's reference.

I think If you can get the dealer to install a 1 yr warranted (including labor), used engine in for anything <$2,500 would be a very good compromise. Anything better than that would be better of course. I'd start with 0 but wouldn't expect that to really happen. Getting the dealer to take it back in its present condition as a trade and give you a like vehicle may come with its own possible issues. It will certainly come with the cost of a new title, change of plates etc. Sometimes it is "Better the devil you know....." IMO. If the dealer can't / won't work with you to that end, maybe your local mechanic will come back with something better. Don't let the dealer know you are looking at private mechanics. He may just let you go to them!

Then I would give my child the $3500. Tell him, OK Christmas came early this year. He sounds like a wonderful son, working a job and doing the right thing.

Softie cop! :LOL:

I totally agree though :cool:

I think If you can get the dealer to install a 1 yr warranted (including labor), used engine in for anything <$2,500 would be a very good compromise.

I was thinking that too........

Of course getting all your money back or getting a new (to you) engine with substantial warranty for free would be the superior deal and worth asking for, but it's not likely to happen.

If I wound up with the salvaged engine and a TWO year / 24k warranty, I'd go for that. Even an 18 month / 18k warranty....... 12 months / 12k as a last ditch position.

I guess some of it depends on how much OP's DS liked that particular car.

UPDATE

Went to car dealership last Saturday... LOOOONG day jeez.

Anyhoo,

manager offered to credit us 3000 bucks IF we rolled it into another car. We were free to take it and go. My private mechanic questimated that it would cost about 2000 to 2500 for him to drop a salvaged engine into it. he didn't have the car and I really didn't want to get it towed to him.

We took the 3K and purchased a 2016 nissan sentra. dealer gave us another 2K in incentives that evidently was a promotion on sentras. bumper to bumper warranty on car for 50000 miles or 3 years whatever comes first.

a few interesting lessons learned.

1) Evidently in New Jersey, the default on 10 year old cars with more than 100K miles is "as is". so unless a dealer says specifically there is a warranty, there is not. I thought it was the other way around (dealer must say "as is") . this was my fault for assuming.

2) Minion does have a car note. 275 bucks a month which he must pay, I was feeling bad about that but then thought maybe it was time to cut the "apron" strings. The boy is graduating without student loans so maybe it's time to stop trying to make the world "perfect" for them. :rolleyes: aaah the joys of parenthood.

3) He's still on my insurance policy and interestingly enough my premium will only go up 200 bucks a year. the minion has a penchant for being "lead foooted" so he did get the riot act for that.

Thanks again all, lol and believe me we will be a bit more diligent with maintenance :LOL: minion number 2 is getting his 10 year old Honda over to the mechanic for a check this week.

and because God has a sense of humor, the 'change oil" notification popped up on the Infiniti Sunday.

;)

Last edited:
I hope this is a typo... :)

and this is what happens when you type without your first morning joe.

50,000 miles. Ok so I'm going to ask what is probably a stupid question. Is there a difference between the powertrain and the engine. or is the engine considered part of the powertrain?

Thanks REwahoo

I can't really tell from your post, were you satisfied with the way this turned out? With the "credit" your DS was basically forced to get a vehicle from the original dealer, which didn't give you a lot of options. Now that it's been a couple of days would you have done anything differently? Is seems like the dealer got a 6000 car which they will put in maybe 2-2500 cost into and then resell, saying it has a "new" engine in it. Were you able to estimate how much of the 3000 credit actually lowered the cost of the new car?

The engine is part of the powertrain. It would have been covered on your 2007 warranty but you had aged out as the powertrain warranty is only 60 months/60,000 miles.

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/warranty/2007_N_WIB.pdf

POWERTRAIN COVERAGE
• The Powertrain coverage period is 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.
• This warranty covers any repairs needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship.
• Powertrain coverage applies to components listed below, supplied by Nissan except for those items listed under the caption “WHAT IS NOT COVERED”.

ENGINE
Cylinder heads and block and all internal parts, rocker covers and oil pan, valve train and front cover, timing chain and tensioner, oil pump, water pump and fuel pump, fuel injectors, intake and exhaust manifolds and supercharger,
flywheel, seals, and gaskets.

It sounds like a nice car and a PITA experience to go through but look ahead, it's over and this car should last a long time.

Family members actually used to pay a family friend who was a mechanic to find their cars at the auctions--since you're lucky enough to know someone, maybe you could try something like that for your future car needs?

bclover,

Sounds like you are satisfied (as much as can be) with the "resolution". That's the important thing.

The minion has a nice, caring mom :).

the 50K or 3 years isn't the default for a new car...I wasn't clear if it was new or used.

Not clear to me either. Also not clear is the $3,000 "credit IF we rolled it into another car.".

If I followed, this was a $6,000 car that might need ~ $3,000 of repairs. At that point, it would be worth $6,000 again (or maybe more, with a 'new/rebuilt' engine)? So that means invest $3,000 and you have $6,000. So did they also give you something for the un-repaired car, plus the $3,000 credit?

-ERD50

I can't really tell from your post, were you satisfied with the way this turned out? With the "credit" your DS was basically forced to get a vehicle from the original dealer, which didn't give you a lot of options. Now that it's been a couple of days would you have done anything differently? Is seems like the dealer got a 6000 car which they will put in maybe 2-2500 cost into and then resell, saying it has a "new" engine in it. Were you able to estimate how much of the 3000 credit actually lowered the cost of the new car?

I don't really know if I would call it "satisfied". Basically dealership had the most weight. I could have tried various options, lawsuit, bad press, screaming bloody murder. all were less attractive options.

yes I was able to make sure how much the new car cost as I kept all the transactions separate. I actually had more wiggle room on the new car as google is my friend and the cost of the car was easy information to get and then made sure all the incentives were taken off first than the credit.

would I have done anything different:confused: now that's a bit trickier to say. I think I may have had ti towed to a private mechanic first. the reason we took it to the dealer was primarily because we had just purchased it and I foolishly thought they would repair it with minimal charge but then again, I thought it was going to be some thing simple.
We had a few major goals.
1) try to get as much as possible for the old beater knowing that technically the dealer could have said "tough coconuts toots"
2) try and get the best deal on whatever car we walked out with.

Last edited:
Sounded to me like he got a 2016 holdover.

exactly what it was
bclover,

Sounds like you are satisfied (as much as can be) with the "resolution". That's the important thing.

The minion has a nice, caring mom :).

I'm thinking about tatooing that on his forehead

Not clear to me either. Also not clear is the $3,000 "credit IF we rolled it into another car.".

If I followed, this was a $6,000 car that might need ~ $3,000 of repairs. At that point, it would be worth $6,000 again (or maybe more, with a 'new/rebuilt' engine)? So that means invest $3,000 and you have $6,000. So did they also give you something for the un-repaired car, plus the $3,000 credit?

-ERD50

They gave me 3000 credit for the old car
they gave me $4500.00 additional for dealer incentives.

the $3500 engine would not have been new or rebuilt it would have been a salvage engine. the cost for a new engine would have been 6K according to the mechanic.

Minion told me that I had it wrong the warranty is 3 year/36000 basic and 5 year on the powertrain

I don't really know if I would call it "satisfied". Basically dealership had the most weight. I could have tried various options, lawsuit, bad press, screaming bloody murder. all were less attractive options.

yes I was able to make sure how much the new car cost as I kept all the transactions separate. I actually had more wiggle room on the new car as google is my friend and the cost of the car was easy information to get and then made sure all the incentives were taken off first than the credit.

would I have done anything different:confused: now that's a bit trickier to say.
We had a few major goals.
1) try to get as much as possible for the old beater knowing that technically the dealer could have said "tough coconuts toots"
2) try and get the best deal on whatever car we walked out with.

Sounds like you were prepared and paid attention, so I'd just put the whole thing behind me, if I was you.. will your DS drives this one till it drops maybe he wants additional extended warranty protection..

Last edited:
That fact that you were made whole in the end is important. While maybe not what you had hoped for, at least you are done and can move forward. DS (a.k.a. minion) must have learned something along this short ride as he knew the finer details about the warranty on the new car. That is a life lesson that you cannot put a dollar value on.

To me it seems they made a decent offer to you.... both of you 'won'...

If you would have pushed, I am pretty sure you would have lost... it was and 'as is' sale... even if it blew up while driving off the lot you had no leg to stand on...

Sounds like DS got a 'new' car that was a 2016... not the worst thing to have... they got rid of it which is what they wanted..

You also seem to have gotten a good price for it... a win on your side...

sounds like you got a stand up dealer!

that sentra should last "forever" just make sure to check the oil ;)

Agree with Texas Proud... I think it was fair resolution. Big Kudos to you for guiding Minion without getting too involved. Since he is on your insurance (and has leadfoot tendencies) you may want to consider the driving monitor that some insurance companies offer. It's a simple plug in device that monitors driving (mostly hard acceleration and braking). It was a six month evaluation for DD and it shows status every week. This could backfire, maybe.

Advice from my Dear Old Dad:

If you got what your want for a price you were willing to pay, then you got a good deal. It does not matter what others think or what kind of a deal they said they got.

Congratulations glad it worked out. The car will most likely outlive him!

I think this was fair. Best case for you would have them saying "Oops, our bad, we will put in the used engine for free", but with only a 1 year warranty on an old car, who knows what might be next. Best case for them would have them saying "sorry, it is out of warranty, install the engine or get lost", it would cost them nothing but them likely lots of bad publicity. The solution seems like a good balance. As long as minion takes care of the car he should have minimal maintenance expenses for at least 3 years (and hopefully beyond that).

Back
Top Bottom