Exploding car engine, what to do?

thanks Youbet,
I admit, that does surprise me. I had an 18 year old BMW that I actually got from my dad. I pretty much changed the oil religiously every 3K miles and it ran like a dream until I turned it in.

I definitely never heard of checking the oil on a car every month. now I'm nervous because I have a 2010 Infiniti. once again, I change the oil and take it in for service at the schedule intervals but I never think to check fluids more often.

don't most maintenance schedules say to check the oil at every fuel fill up?

Mine do. I just checked, my 2011 says every fill up, my 2017 says "Check the engine oil level regularly (every 650 km (400 mi), especially prior to a long trip.", so in practice that would be every fill up, unless you are actually going to stop at 400 miles.

I admit I don't check it that often, and even though they don't need topping off between changes, you never know. That's what "check" means. But I would definitely check any car that was new to me (new or used), you never know.

In a way, I almost wished cars used a little oil between changes. I have always taught my kids to check the fluids on their cars, but they always roll their eyes, because they never need topping off. But you never know, they can start burning oil, they could develop a leak (internal, like at the head gasket and you wouldn't know until it is too late).

It's good to get into the practice of just looking things over once a month. You might spot something. Cheap and easy insurance.

-ERD50

This! After 125 years of improving car performance, you'd think we should not have to check oil levels at every fill-up any more! :rant:

A number of new cars will say if the oil is low... so no reason to check...

2 months after it was purchased. We were told that the car was a "certified used vehicle" meaning it was supposed to be checked.

Wow, I'm not a car gal, my late husband was more in tuned with them but I would have never thought to change a timing belt on a car I just purchased. All my cars were purchased new and I think I'm going back that route. I know it loses so much of the value driving off the lot but seriously I'd rather have the peace of mind that it will work longer than 90 days.

I just never thought a certified used car would have to be rechecked in 2 months. :(

I'm surprised that a 2007 could be CPO.... IME usually CPOs are less than 5 years old and have low mileage.... however, the good part is that if it was "certified" usually it would have a farily good warranty for more than a couple months. The paperwork that your son received when he bought the car should include information on the warranty.

Our last truck was a one-year old CPO vehicle... head gasket blew out at 38k miles and I thought I would be facing a few thousand $$$ repair bill because the mfg standard warranty was only 36k miles.... but the CPO extended the bumper-to-bumper warranty to 39k miles so it was fully covered by Chevrolet.

FWIW, I hven't checked my oil in years... I just change it on schedule.

BS... that would be 3 quarts between oil changes... that is unusual... especially for a Toyota.

For most cars less than 10 years old the frequency of oil change is 5,000 miles or more, so that would be more than a gallon of oil between changes - and that's way too much oil usage no matter who the manufacturer.

Sounds like some dealer alternative facts to me.

But that is far from universal, so unless you've read your manual and you know it has a low oil level warning light (not "low oil pressure" warning light), and you trust it, it's stil best to check it. As others have said, it's so easy, and it's good to look around and check everything anyhow.

From my 2011 Honda (emph mine):
Low Oil Pressure Indicator

This indicator should never come on when the engine is running. If it starts flashing or stays on, the oil pressure has dropped very low or lost pressure. Serious engine damage is possible, and you should take immediate action.

Running the engine with low oil pressure can cause serious mechanical damage almost immediately. Turn off the engine as soon as you can safely get the vehicle stopped

Just check it - cheap insurance.

-ERD50

Remember when you had to check the level of fluid in the battery as well? Of course more and more vehicles track your drivng and tell you when to change the oil, i.e. an oil life meter, so for them its change oil when the car tells you to. Interestingly on my 2016 malibu with the enhanced driver info center, you can turn on a digital oil pressure gauge, as well as a coolant temp and a voltage (which also came on my 2011 cruze).

I really think Nissans have timing chains. When they go out, they have chains, sprockets, tension guides that may need replaced. And while there in there, the water pump kit will be replaced. It is very labor intensive.

An engine famous for excessive valve train failure is!the GM 3.6 engine used in many, many different vehicles--certain model years. My son has one fail in a Camaro. They essentially have to spend 2 days half disassembling the engine. His wife got "dealer employee price' and it still cost them $2300. With hundreds of thousands of failures at 50-60k miles, GM dropped the warranty back to 36k miles.And still won't admit there is a problem.

Remember when you had to check the level of fluid in the battery as well? Of course more and more vehicles track your drivng and tell you when to change the oil, i.e. an oil life meter, so for them its change oil when the car tells you to. Interestingly on my 2016 malibu with the enhanced driver info center, you can turn on a digital oil pressure gauge, as well as a coolant temp and a voltage (which also came on my 2011 cruze).

All lead-acid batteries are vented. You really should "periodically" check the water level and add distilled water as appropriate. But today's batteries don't seem to last more than 2 - 3 years anyway. Remember when batteries had 7 year warranties? No more than 2 to 3 year warranties any more.

If it was truly CPO (Certified Pre-owned), then it has a warranty. Of course, just saying it was a certified used car means nothing. Doesn't take much know how to certify that it is used! You really should check the fluids in a just purchased car every week until you aw confident that it is not a slow leaker/fluid user. Used Car Salesmen don't have their reputation for looking out for their customers....

Hopefully Son took pics and you've documented everything so far. Worst case scenario this might be a good one to pitch to the local news, those "shame on them" scenarios - if the dealer isn't helpful.

I think the CPO thing can have different flavors. There's pure Factory CPO (like from Nissan themselves) but some also let dealers do their own type, slightly different name. As a consumer I'd expect something like that to have more than a 30 day warranty, hope your son is combing through his paperwork today.

oh, wow, I remember going to buy distilled water for that. thanks for the memory.

All lead-acid batteries are vented. You really should "periodically" check the water level and add distilled water as appropriate. But today's batteries don't seem to last more than 2 - 3 years anyway. Remember when batteries had 7 year warranties? No more than 2 to 3 year warranties any more.

Wow, I posted before i read your post, you also beat me to it.:blush:

One thing that I do quite often now is check tire pressure. Not so much because I am worried about perfect fuel mileage but more because we are carrying 19,200 pounds on a truck rated for 19,500 pounds maximum!

I keep those babies right at 95 psi +/- 1psi.

One thing that I do quite often now is check tire pressure. Not so much because I am worried about perfect fuel mileage but more because we are carrying 19,200 pounds on a truck rated for 19,500 pounds maximum!

I keep those babies right at 95 psi +/- 1psi.
You have a TPMS for your truck?

Funny side note. Our new F150 4x4 came with a VRLA which is maintenance free and non-spillable. I wonder if that is a special order thing since we did buy the truck cheap new because it had a lot of wacky packages ordered on.

You have a TPMS for your truck?

Yeah, it is called me with a ARB 12V compressor and a very long gauge.

Seriously though, I have though about adding one but was unsure if they might cause leak problems. Might be the thing to do before we set out on a long trip again.

We have not heard back from the OP, This makes me think the dealership is breaking out the abacus , and using the new math for the repair estimate. :(

Yeah, it is called me with a ARB 12V compressor and a very long gauge.

Seriously though, I have though about adding one but was unsure if they might cause leak problems. Might be the thing to do before we set out on a long trip again.

I added one to my RV and have been very happy with it - no leaks at all and very accurate. I really like the fact it reports both temperature and pressure, which - other than a sudden blowout - should let you see a problem developing in time to do something about it. And it makes checking pressures when you start out a snap.

As close as you are to your weight limit I think it would be money well spent.

Well... heck... checked the Hyundai and it has a timing belt... needs to be replaced at 90K.... at 78K now...

The ones I'm familiar with are not intended to replace checking the dipstick. Mine would not come on until way more than 1 qt low. It was more of a failsafe.

Back
Top Bottom