Join Early Retirement Today

Extra Money
Old 05-02-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Extra Money

Early Retirement has suddenly been forced upon me. Fortunately, I'll be 62 next month. I'm getting some extra cash when I leave work that I don't really need. I don't know a lot about 401Ks and IRAs so I'd like to ask you experts if I can do this. Can I put $8000 into my 401K (which would take me up to my max allowed). Then roll it over to an IRA and immediately put $6000 into the IRA which I guess is the max. Then put $6000 into my wife's 403B. ?
choices1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Extra Money
Old 05-02-2007, 07:42 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Extra Money - What's that ?

Most of the 401k plans that I have seen allow you to take a percentage of your salary and deposit into the plan. The plans that I have seen do not allow a lump sum deposit into the 401k account.

Having said that, if you have a 401k balance, then yes that amount can be rolled over into an IRA account. Those accounts are called, of all things, rollover IRA accounts.

If in 2007 you have earned income then you can invest up to $5000 ($4000 for those under 50 years old) into an IRA account. However there are income limits on how much can be invested into tax-deferred IRA's and different limits for for ROTH IRA's. You always have the option to do a non-deductible IRA.

You can also contribute the same amount for your working or non-working spouse although again there are income limit tests for deductible and ROTH IRA's.

One rule that you need to know though, is that your income for the year must be at least as great as the IRA and 401k contributions.

Per the wife's 203b account, I can't help you there as I am not too familiar with them
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Extra Money - What's that ?
i don't know, but that's what my kids were always asking me for. i would always respond that there's no such thing.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:36 AM   #4

If you still have some extra money...you can paypal a little to masterblaster for the response...seriously, why dont you just google the answer on how these savings plans work...
Old 05-02-2007, 09:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy the Turbo Beagle
If you still have some extra money...you can paypal a little to masterblaster for the response
What a great idea !

The OP could send money, or better yet everyone who reads this thread could send money. Now were talking !

So lets see, when I last looked 168 people had viewed this thread. So if all of those people sent me $1 I'd have $168. That's not too bad. But even better if they all sent me $10. That would give me $1680. Now if they all sent me $10,000 then I'd have $1.68 million and I could live well.

Maybe then I'd even consider early (or earlier) retirement.

Maddy, I'm going to put you on commission
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #6

i'll wager you don't get any donations -- because there ain't no such thing as "extra" money, so no one has any to send. but, in case i'm wrong about that, you could send me 20% of what they send you just to prove me wrong.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by choices1945
Early Retirement has suddenly been forced upon me. Fortunately, I'll be 62 next month. I'm getting some extra cash when I leave work that I don't really need. I don't know a lot about 401Ks and IRAs so I'd like to ask you experts if I can do this. Can I put $8000 into my 401K (which would take me up to my max allowed). Then roll it over to an IRA and immediately put $6000 into the IRA which I guess is the max. Then put $6000 into my wife's 403B. ?
At a few companies I have worked for, one could defer up to 100% of their income into their 401(k) account. Check with your HR department if they'll let you do that. It may be too late, though; usually there's a bit of a lag between turning in the change form and getting the contribution level changed.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote