Extreme Suzie O show guest....

What I figured (could be wrong) while watching her was that she has built her self- worth (and somehow raised her above what she felt about herself and above other people) by surrounding herself with pretty expensive things. Giving up these things are out of the question since her whole self-image and self-worth is wrapped up in it. I don't think this is that uncommon although people usually aren't as delusional as her.
Hard to tell whether we're talking about the caller... or about Suze...

Hey, maybe she could advertise cars for GM again and solve at least two economic problems with one fell swoop?

Dang I'm sorry I missed this one. Every time I tune in the highlight is the segment where some "girlfriend" gets told no she can't take that cruise.

I don't think this is that uncommon although people usually aren't as delusional as her.
Hard to tell whether we're talking about the caller... or about Suze...

Haha. Suze may be delusional to some extent (but aren't we all ;)), but Suze has a brain. I think the caller has lost all her reasoning ability.

tmm

Today at lunch I saw a commercial for some debt consolidation or counseling service called debt.com or something similar. It went through the usual lines of "credit cards too high", "can't make the payments", "debt collectors calling", etc. Call us, yada yada, yada.

The line that really stood out....."and it probably isn't your fault" What? If it isn't your own fault, then whose?
Today we are taught by ??someone?? that it isn't our fault, it's the banks fault for giving so much credit, they should have known you couldn't pay it back.

Disgusting. :rant:

One thing I was glad to hear Suze say was that they couldn't file for bankruptcy since they(her husband) made too much money.

I didn't realize bankruptcy had income restrictions - good news.

USATODAY.com - With bankruptcy law near, make filing decision soon

Tighter income limits. Individuals whose income exceeded their state's median income during the previous six months may be ineligible for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. If those individuals can pay at least $100 a month toward debts after certain expenses are deducted, they'll be required to file under Chapter 13 instead, which requires debtors to repay creditors under a schedule set up by the courts.

The line that really stood out....."and it probably isn't your fault" What? If it isn't your own fault, then whose?
Today we are taught by ??someone?? that it isn't our fault, it's the banks fault for giving so much credit, they should have known you couldn't pay it back.
Maybe it's an advertising tactic. People with a strong sense of personal responsibility probably don't generate much business for debt counselors. The best customers are the ones who are busy blaming everyone else for their situation.

I don't think the businesses would get a better response if they took the typical consumer approach: "Debt counseling-- because you've worked hard for it and you deserve it!!"

Maybe it's an advertising tactic. People with a strong sense of personal responsibility probably don't generate much business for debt counselors.

It is more like what I believe is called the "Paradox of Thrift." You know, while it is a good thing for you personally to save all the money you can, it is very bad if everyone did the same thing. So the optimal thing for you personally is to convince as many people as you can to splurge at every opportunity. Savers are simply no good for any economy (read "to anyone").

We can ridicule those people that are more (most?) aggressive in their spending all we want but the bottom line is that's what makes our (your's and mine) life, in general, better.

Another way I have heard it put is: "Kitty's heaven is Mousy's hell."

You know, while it is a good thing for you personally to save all the money you can, it is very bad if everyone did the same thing.
Japanese stock market aside, I'm having a hard time seeing the problem with a high savings rate. It seems like a better long-term plan than deficit spending...

Japanese stock market aside, I'm having a hard time seeing the problem with a high savings rate. It seems like a better long-term plan than deficit spending...

See (for example):

Paradox of thrift - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Paradox of Thrift

arguments against:
The Paradox of Thrift: RIP 
Safe Haven | The "Paradox of Thrift"

I don't know how valid the theory is. I was using it simply as a way of explaining the (seemingly) illogical "debt counselor" behavior you referred to.

Having said that, I am not sure the "Paradox of Thrift" theory has been disproved to my satisfaction. Anecdotely, anyway, the more people spend the more I am able to save -- at least, my "savings" were worth a lot more when people were spending than they are worth now... and a lot more people were earning a living.

I think occasionally Suze "plants" those folks to present a sensationalized problem to help ratings.....but then again I believe in conspiracies.......:)

Back
Top Bottom