False credit application in my name, what to do next?

garyt

Full time employment: Posting here.
So I got a letter from Sprint that a credit application had been made in my name using an address I lived at 40 years ago. My sister lives there now so that's how I got the letter.
I called Sprint and they did have the app on file with my SS#, but it was on hold due to needing more info. That's why they sent the letter. Sprint cancelled the app and marked it as fraud but I'm wondering what I should do next? Do I need to freeze my credit? How do I go about doing that?
Thanks

Same thing happened to us, difference is the app went through on a Citi business account. The applicants were 3 persons in Florida, Citi gave us their names and closed the account. This was time consuming but worth it:
-called police and filed stolen ID. The cop came to our house and filled out a report.
-submitted report to IRS/Citi/credit bureaus, we were given a 7 year protection from IRS, they give you a pass code to file taxes. Cannot file without it.
-Red flag on our credit bureaus, no charge at the time (this was before free credit freezing).
-Later froze all credit.
Your app did not go through, ours did, so they had all DH information from a ID hack, not sure which one. Could have been Equifax, could have been from a consulting company. Who knows?

Right, immediately freeze your credit with all 3 services. It should cost you nothing. Do it now!

DW had a Samsung card issued in her name backed by or issued by TD bank. Got a call that her account was past due and we found it on her credit report with contact info. Called TD and account was closed, filed a fraud report and did freeze on all 3 credit reporting companies for her and I. Thief used an address over 10 years old so we never got any correspondence.

Good question, now that we know her info is out in the wild, not sure what else we can do besides freeze .

You find a guy who knows a guy who takes care of these things...a guy with a particular set of skills...

...or you can just lock or freeze your credit bureaus.

Equifax has Lock & Alert for free, which is more convenient than freezing and just as secure. Transunion has Trueidentity which does the same thing. With Experian I had to freeze it...they are less than awesome.

Cheers!

Straw purchases are rampant in the credit world.

My wife's co-worker once got in my wife's purse and got enough info to do a bogus credit application at a Chevy dealersihip. We found out when she was a 1st payment default of the deal.

Unfortunately we had no retribution. The Chevy dealer was responsible to GMAC for repurchasing the loan, and he's the one that had legal recourse against the lady. It's a criminal action.

We had no further problems with any such credit activities. But it is a lesson to guard your identity. I keep all info locked up in a big safe at my home.

A short while back, American Express sent me an email saying my "new" card was being mailed to my "new" address. Hmmm, haven't used the card in 9 months, and I have not moved. :confused:

Fixed it, and my credit has been frozen for the prior three years. If they want it, they can get it.

Another option for those who don't want to freeze: sign up for free monitoring (most cc's offer, or credit karma is another one). You'll get told of any changes right away.

So I got a letter from Sprint that a credit application had been made in my name using an address I lived at 40 years ago. My sister lives there now so that's how I got the letter.
I called Sprint and they did have the app on file with my SS#, but it was on hold due to needing more info. That's why they sent the letter. Sprint cancelled the app and marked it as fraud but I'm wondering what I should do next? Do I need to freeze my credit? How do I go about doing that?
Thanks

same thing happened to us a few months back only instead of Sprint it was a CC application with a bank. the process was stopped dead in its track because our credit is frozen. we did and suggest you:

- freeze your credit at the 3-major agencies
- notify each of the credit reporting agencies of what happened, in writing. this will cause them to place the report in your file and they each will send you a copy of your credit report. that copy will *not* count against your annual free copy.

Thanks for the replies, froze my credit (surprised it was that easy)

For those who say the froze "all 3", there are a lot more than 3.
There is another credit freeze related post on here with a PDF list of something like 47 credit agencies and more popping up all the time.

At a minimum you should do 5. In addition to Experian, Equifax, and Transunion, you should also freeze Innovis and NCTUE.

NCTUE is used by most cell phone and some utility companies.

My wife's co-worker once got in my wife's purse and got enough info to do a bogus credit application at a Chevy dealersihip. We found out when she was a 1st payment default of the deal.
One of the reasons I quit carrying a purse years ago. I have nothing against women carrying purses, but here and abroad I see many purses wide open. Or with a zipper, snap that's easily opened and the gypsies are so fast, you'd never know anything was missing.

Bring a purse to work? Never did. When we travel I used

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B017AHHFNK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and kept zipper inside on my body. I still use this to walk and listen to podcasts.

Go into any Costco and you are certain to find at least two or three purses sitting in shopping carts whilst their owners in pushing in to get a free sample of something or other.

Back
Top Bottom