Favorite personal finance website

dadoftwo

Dryer sheet wannabe
Any advice for someone who isn't that savvy? Just want solid advice for the common folk. The basic dos and don't that to beyond the obvious stuff (max out 401k, etc). Thanks for any suggestions and recommendation in advance.

Here and Bogleheads.

heh heh heh - general rule - doing less results in more. May the 'cheap' be with you. :dance:;)

+2 I've searched high and low on the net and it always come down to these two sites.

i think we have one of the greatest bunch of knowledgable people on any forum i visit right here.

we all might disagree with a view but at least there is logic in that view.

Yep, here and Bogleheads. I use Personal Capital and a little Mint, too, but for learning... those first two.

i think we have one of the greatest bunch of knowledgable people on any forum i visit right here.

we all might disagree with a view but at least there is logic in that view.

+1 even if certain members are "upper case challenged" :)

Here for investing, career and general financial advice. For saving money ideas I like sustainable living sites like Yes! Magazine, Mother Earth News and Treehugger. For side income and frequent flyer hacks I read FatWallet Finance and Boarding Area Blogs.

Start here, for sure.

My first place was John Greaney's Retire Early Home Page: REHP Chronological Index.
The forum has been quiet for years (activity moved to Bogleheads, I think), but the periodic postings in the link were inspirational to me and he still posts them. He has a few, very inexpensive, docs to download. Inspirational is not strong enough. It saved me. Strongly recommended.

Every once in a while I find something on Clark Howard's site:
Clark Howard: Save More, Spend Less and Avoid Rip-offs | www.clarkhoward.com
I found his radio show useful. It helps to hear someone tell me regularly, live cheap, dammit.

No doubt: This website right here.

Morningstar and Seeking Alpha tied for a distant second.

I like MMM forums too, however haven't been able to get on the site for a few days now.

This is my favorite site.

Bogleheads is very informative!

Kiplinger for general financial information, although most of us should ignore the specific stock and mutual fund recommendations.

Assetbuilder (Scott Burns) has good low-cost portfolios as well as retirement saving and spending advice.

But I agree with several other replies that this site is best for when you are looking for specific advice about a specific situation. Folks here generally give pretty sound advice and you can also get several different perspectives to consider.

I avoid commercial sites since they are inevitably biased. If I do happen to read a story on -say- Yahoo Finance, I get more insight (and entertainment) from the comments than the story itself. User-contributed content on forums like this one and Bogleheads will provide a variety of viewpoints from people with direct, hands-on experience. Read, interact, and make up your own mind. That's more valuable to me than spoon-fed advice from a site with an agenda... which is usually to sell me something I don't need.

I like the Vanguard site. Tried fumbling on my own. The advise is plain Vanilla. But it worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom