Favorite Senior Discounts?

For National Parks, The Great Smoky Mountains National Park offers a great deal - free admission to all. Back in the 1930s, when the state of Tennessee transferred ownership of their portion of the main park road to the federal government, it stipulated that "no toll or license fee shall ever be imposed…" to travel the road.

Last edited:
Why should a 67 year old couple that owns a 26 foot motor home pay cheaper national park fees than a [-]40[/-] 58 year old couple [-]tent camping with kids[/-] with exactly the same motor home? :mad:

:D

Because they've been taxes nine years longer?:rolleyes:

If a place like Home Depot can give a 10% discount to all military in a military town and 10% to seniors and 10% on Thursdays then they are overpriced by 10%

+1
Back to the topic, I have enjoyed getting senior discounts at theater, museums and some restaurants. I have even been discounted when traveling abroad.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised the first time DH got a discount to some attraction on one of our trips to Europe. Many times they apply only to residents; I'm fine with that. Seniors who have the ability to travel abroad probably aren't hurting for money!

I realized I need to own up to seizing one senior discount as soon as it was available to me- the gym at the community center. I'm there a lot. I think one of the reasons that businesses/organizations offer them is that we can show up at off-peak hours and days. That would explain a lot of early-bird restaurant deals, the local grocery store that offers 10% off on Wednesdays, etc.

AARP gets 15% off the check at Denney's. It's a good deal (the discount, not AARP).

Not into Denney's at all- their menu seems to celebrate overeating.

Last edited:
Not into Denney's at all- their menu seems to celebrate overeating.

They have healthy menu items and do a good job at those. I like the breakfast special that generally include a fruit cup, oatmeal and a veggie omelette made with egg whites.

And like dtbach stated, you can take 1/2 home for later.:D

I get the spinach salad on the 2-4-6-8 menu or the grilled chicken on the Senior menu at Denny's. Denny's is one of DH's fav restaurants. He is a cheap date. The kids complain when they travel with DH and sometimes I don't go along, that is the only place he wants to go, but he has pointed out they don't have to get grilled cheese or burgers and fries - they could order a salad and soup or grilled chicken and veggie sides.

Last edited:
If a place like Home Depot can give a 10% discount to all military in a military town and 10% to seniors and 10% on Thursdays then they are overpriced by 10%
Sure.

So, we finally got their store charge card, and used it to get 5% off in our recent purchases for home improvement projects. Only 1/2 of the enchilada, but better than none.

As far as whether we "deserve" discounts? It isn't about deserving them. Merchants offer them for their own business reasons, whether you're a Veteran, Senior, Credit Union member, AAA Member, have some sort of Corporate Group code, etc. Why would the consumer be wrong in accepting a deal on a good or service openly offered by a business, whether or not it comes through a better retail price, a sale, or a discount?

Just another view to add to the mix...

And a sensible view, in my opinion. I'm eligible for both senior and military discounts. I ask for them when I check out. If the establishment offers them, I happily accept. If they don't, no big deal. I don't feel like I'm taking advantage of anyone or cheapening myself by using them (although I admit I could have profited from them more when I was in my 30's with a young family and relatively modest pay.)

For those in the New England area, Dunkin' Donuts offers a 10% discount. Or, you can buy a large coffee and get a free donut. (But I can't drink that much coffee at once and I rarely eat donuts.)

In the Boston Metro area, a Senior Charlie Card gets you $1.25 rides on the T (price just went up from $1 on July 1) and a good discount on the Commuter Rail.

The best and most sizable senior discount for me is for my property tax.

The best and most sizable senior discount for me is for my property tax.

I had been looking forward to getting our state's homestead exemption on property tax at age 65. Unfortunately, it was recently changed to only be for seniors with income under $30,500, so we will not qualify. It would have been worth about $500/yr.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Merchants rarely do this for altruistic reasons. They do it to attract business. 60+ folks are a large and growing market, and typically have more disposable income that 30-35 year olds.

Here is a contrasting discount - the restaurants and hotels that offer kids eat/stay free discounts. They obviously do this to attract younger families with kids. This is not a discount most over 60 would qualify for.
so who is more likely to be influenced by a discount - someone with less or more disposable income?

The kids discount isn't age specific.

The kind that will probably be eliminated as soon as I am old enough to be eligible. :facepalm:

Hope I'm wrong, but I'm Generation X and this is what we have come to expect....

DW and I went to see a movie yesterday. We were charged the "twilight rate' of $5.75 each for a saturday 5:30 PM show. That's half the regular price. No complaints here...

In some cases I wonder if people see the big picture. If Denny's is open for business but can't fill the tables each second of the day then the waiters/waitresses aren't collecting enough tips and base salaries would need to rise. But by lowering the profit on a dinner while attracting people who don't work and can show up on the off-hours, the restaurant can provide a more steady stream of customer paid tips for workers. And etc. It may actually produce a positive bottomline benefit to the business.

I am just suggesting that part of the competition is for the unfilled hours retirees have on their hands whether it be for restaurants or for Lowe's toys. I've met many retirees that are grateful to be able to go to an "early" dinner before the rush hours.

When it comes to veteran discounts, don't you think that is just part of their PR policies? I don't, myself, believe businesses are just patriotic or sweet.

I had been looking forward to getting our state's homestead exemption on property tax at age 65. Unfortunately, it was recently changed to only be for seniors with income under $30,500, so we will not qualify. It would have been worth about $500/yr.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Yes, most anything that I would be interested in here in PA is income-based also. My township does offer a trash pick up discount to those 65 and older so I have something to look forward to in 5 years (said in jest). The PA lottery does subsidize very cheap taxi fare to those 60 and older (although in my county it is 65). It is not income dependent. I think, though, that if I could no longer drive, I would hire someone once a week from one of the agencies to do some household chores and drive me around to appointments on that day. Friends would be a back up.

When it comes to veteran discounts, don't you think that is just part of their PR policies? I don't, myself, believe businesses are just patriotic or sweet.

That is exactly correct. I have only been using my 10% Home Depot discount for a little while, but came across a snag.

I purchased a roll of insulation, R13, 15" x 32'. It was only ~$8.29, and the cashier scanned their Veterans discount bar code that is on every register. It rang up as 0%.

I guess somethings do not have enough margin that they might not make as much. So, certain items do not get a discount.

It was patriotism, even a loss leader would have a discount.

Was out of town, went to Denny's and flashed my AARP card to get 15% off.

I am just suggesting that part of the competition is for the unfilled hours retirees have on their hands whether it be for restaurants or for Lowe's toys. I've met many retirees that are grateful to be able to go to an "early" dinner before the rush hours.

I agree. I just ran across this in signing up for a community college course. I was notified that my application had been accepted (yeah, I was on the edge of my seat worrying about that), so I signed up for the geology course I wanted. The "My Finances" tab showed tuition due at the full rate. When I asked why I didn't get the senior rate, they told me I had to wait till 8/15 (classes start Monday. 8/18!) to register in order to get the senior rate (about $200 less in total).

It makes sense, of course; they want to make sure that all the students paying full freight (and working on degrees) can get in before filling up any remaining spaces with reduced-rate students.

OK, not a senior discount, but another Military. Most wireless companies give a military discount. AT&T gives 15% and I believe Verizon does also. This is for Active Duty, Retired, and all Veterans.

OK, not a senior discount, but another Military. Most wireless companies give a military discount. AT&T gives 15% and I believe Verizon does also. This is for Active Duty, Retired, and all Veterans.

Wireless only? Being a veteran, I'll have to check in with Comcast to see if they will give me one for cable...ha!:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom