Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2021, 06:13 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
OP, are you really worried about spending a few more bucks to make sure you get it right? What can you save? $30, $40? At the risk of spending hours on the phone with the IRS?

Anyway, I have always used TT. Never had a problem. I use Premium. Probably don't need it, but got it for $58 and got a $10 Amazon Gift Certificate. So, $48 net.
+1 That is exactly what I was thinking when I read the OP. I use Deluxe even though TT's marketing material would "recommend" Premier for me... $30 net for 2020 and I e-file 5 federal returns for that $30.

I would think that $30/year would have been well worth it for the OP to avoid the problems that he has has because he decided to go cheap and I don't see a different version of cheap as making a difference.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2021, 06:23 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I have never used a tax software package and currently just use Free File Fillable forms on the IRS website. I actually look forward to doing taxes (now that the days of the dreaded form 6251 are over).
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:34 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've always used TaxAct. I never compared it to anything else, it's just the first one I picked and it does everything I need it to. It carries over information from year to year, which saves a lot of time. Sound like TurboTax is everyone's favorite here, but I'm too lazy to look into switching.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:39 AM   #24

I buy H&R Block that includes 5 Federal e-files and one state e-file.

3 Federal e-files used: me and 2 kids. I write the state by hand (5 minute exercise, just to annoy NC) and let the kids fight (or race) to use the state e-file
Well worth $24/yr. Tax software is one case I don't mind subscription software, but they make you fiddle with buying it each year.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:44 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was a Tax Act user for years but they've gotten too expensive. I do like it better but not $43 better. I bought H&R from Amazon for $17 earlier and it worked ok (refund received yesterday). I feel like the tax prep companies are like Mobile Phone/Cable/Insurance in that they value new customers seemingly much more than the existing base. Bye bye!
FLSUnFIRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:01 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

H&R Block Premium (efile + State) for the past 5 years, since TaxAct got too expensive in my view. I efile Federal, then use the info on the state forms to fill in the State efile website form.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:57 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Tax Act and I have been very happy with it. The price has been going up every year, but I would be hesitant to switch. I import the previous year’s information for the current return and it is easy peasy! I am afraid to switch companies and get things messed up. It may not be a problem, but do not want to chance it.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:37 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Another FreeTaxUSA user. Been using for a couple years now and works well for me. As mentioned previously free FED and $13.95 to efile state.
georgemoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:34 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
OP, are you really worried about spending a few more bucks to make sure you get it right? What can you save? $30, $40? At the risk of spending hours on the phone with the IRS?

Anyway, I have always used TT. Never had a problem. I use Premium. Probably don't need it, but got it for $58 and got a $10 Amazon Gift Certificate. So, $48 net.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

+1 That is exactly what I was thinking when I read the OP. I use Deluxe even though TT's marketing material would "recommend" Premier for me... $30 net for 2020 and I e-file 5 federal returns for that $30.

I would think that $30/year would have been well worth it for the OP to avoid the problems that he has has because he decided to go cheap and I don't see a different version of cheap as making a difference.
Another +1. OP has to file amended taxes for the last 2-3 years because of trying to save a few bucks on a tax program, and is still being cheap? Ridiculous.

Besides, you can go to Amazon and probably other reputable places to buy the TT Deluxe version on CD or download for $39, $49 with state.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Another +1. OP has to file amended taxes for the last 2-3 years because of trying to save a few bucks on a tax program, and is still being cheap? Ridiculous.
I'm not trying to be cheap, but why pay more than I have to? $120 (Turbotax price on their web site) is a lot to pay when there are plenty of lower cost options. My needs are simple, I don't need top of the line. Thankfully, by asking here I have discovered other options I wasn't aware of.

I already filed our taxes for 2020, but I found the H&R Block Deluxe without state on Amazon for $18+tax. I bought it anyway so I could try it out and see how it works for next year.

Overall I think I like it. The low contrast appearance is a little hard on the eyes, but it seems fairly easy to use. I liked that I could import from my wife's W-2 form, though I did have problems importing other forms. It wasn't that hard to enter manually though. Being able to download brokerage transactions directly from Vanguard was a great time saving feature. I also like being able to save the tax file on my own computer (in addition to the final PDF version).
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:34 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

You should be fine with HRB. Good luck.

I think TT is a bit easier to use, but HRB is a good product too.

Here's a tip if you are interested in TT. For the last few years, Amazon's one day sale of TT has been Dec 26. This year it was $30 for TT Deluxe (including free fed file and 1 state).

The list price is fiction. Don't pay it!

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:01 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
I'm not trying to be cheap, but why pay more than I have to? $120 (Turbotax price on their web site) is a lot to pay when there are plenty of lower cost options. My needs are simple, I don't need top of the line. Thankfully, by asking here I have discovered other options I wasn't aware of.

I already filed our taxes for 2020, but I found the H&R Block Deluxe without state on Amazon for $18+tax. I bought it anyway so I could try it out and see how it works for next year.

Overall I think I like it. The low contrast appearance is a little hard on the eyes, but it seems fairly easy to use. I liked that I could import from my wife's W-2 form, though I did have problems importing other forms. It wasn't that hard to enter manually though. Being able to download brokerage transactions directly from Vanguard was a great time saving feature. I also like being able to save the tax file on my own computer (in addition to the final PDF version).

Well as others have pointed out you can get TT home and business for a lot less than $120, Right now it is $79.99 on Amazon and I saw it as low as $54.99 somewhere else.
Depending on what your needs really are you can probably even use Deluxe at $39.99 or lower if you wait for sales as JoeWras pointed out.
Been using TT deluxe for years and for $40 bucks it is a no brainer to me. Simple to use, accurate etc and I'm pretty frugal myself.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:22 AM   #33

I have used taxhawk for the last 5 years, free fed and 12.95 state. carries over information from one year to the next. very intuitive. you can print out a state summary and mail it for free if you want. I like it a lot. I have used turbotax freedom edition for my grandaughter for the last two years and am impressed with the improvements they have made over the last year. I might use the freedom edition myself if it keeps improving.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:26 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Turbo Tax Premier. From my POV it would still be cheap at twice the price.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:28 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Depending on what your needs really are you can probably even use Deluxe at $39.99 or lower if you wait for sales as JoeWras pointed out.
Been using TT deluxe for years and for $40 bucks it is a no brainer to me. Simple to use, accurate etc and I'm pretty frugal myself.
Yeah, it is pretty easy to find it for $39.99 during various windows. The Dec 26 was special in that it was still $39.99, but they added an instant $10 coupon you had to enter.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:24 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I've used Credit Karma for years with no problems. It's free to file both Fed and State, and is very straightforward. I like that they don't try to sell you anything.
Tafkah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:04 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygromer View Post
I've used Credit Karma for years with no problems. It's free to file both Fed and State, and is very straightforward. I like that they don't try to sell you anything.
I ran into that with taxslayer they say it is free until you get finished and it pops up with a bill for 50 or whatever
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:33 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
While its fun to get the tax software at a good price, any way you look at it, we are saving money.

I do this old relative's tax return for free, after she told me she normally pays $250 to get it done at some tax place.

Compared to $250 , we all are saving a lot.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:49 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

+1 H&R Block
qwerty3656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:57 PM   #40
Administrator

“Favorite tax SW” is sort of like “favorite hammer to smash my thumb with”. I don’t complain about taxes, but I also don’t look forward to preparing my taxes and the words “favorite” and “tax” just don’t seem to fit together.

Could be just me.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote