Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2021, 07:13 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Since it came up, my favorite hammer for smashing my thumb is an Estwing E3-16C. The 16oz. weight really does the job right!

Happy Sunday everyone!

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2021, 08:06 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
Use promo code TAXHAWK10 for 10% off, sometimes you can use TAXHAWK25 for 25% off. I have been using taxhawk for years and really like it.
10% off of what? It's free for federal returns. Are you referring to state returns?
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:29 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Since it came up, my favorite hammer for smashing my thumb is an Estwing E3-16C. The 16oz. weight really does the job right!

Happy Sunday everyone!
I use the Estwing E3-22C, as long ago my friend a carpenter recommended it.
Now I really feel it if I use it a long time.
It's works great for smashing the thumb, I did that a few summers ago, and couldn't use my thumb for days
Old 02-28-2021, 11:01 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I use the Estwing E3-22C, as long ago my friend a carpenter recommended it.
Now I really feel it if I use it a long time.
It's works great for smashing the thumb, I did that a few summers ago, and couldn't use my thumb for days
22C! That's the TurboTax version to my HRB 16C version. That will really do a good job on thumbs.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:31 PM   #65

I have used FreeTaxUSA for 3 years and it worked great for me. Returns included 1099 INT, R, DIV, 1098-T and schedule D's. My wife was hired last year as a contractor and FreeTaxUSA didn't provide the necessary forms for the business so I got HRB Self-Employed/Rental on eBay for $39. I like the ease of use FreeTaxUSA. I compared FTU with HRB excluding business and came back if the same results.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:36 PM   #66
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I ran into that with taxslayer they say it is free until you get finished and it pops up with a bill for 50 or whatever
I ran into the same issue just today, with the TurboTax online "Free" edition. False advertising. I guess it's free only if you wish to generate the PDFs, print, and send by mail, without e-filing. Also the State filing is never free with TurboTax, even with that "free" + online version.

Out of curiosity, I also gave a try today to H&R Block's "free" online product. Because I needed only the State part of my tax returned to be filed online, using e-filing. And guess what? Their workflow / question-based guided system, matched TurboTax's desktop edition, to perfection. And with the same resulting amounts. And the other surprise, was that it turned out to be really free, so I've ended up e-filing my state taxes through them. You'll be a bit nagged by "offers" and "recommendations for upgrades" etc, but if you are patient and stick to your objectives, you'll succeed in filing for free.
smihaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:41 PM   #67
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank2009 View Post
Used Credit Karma for the first time this year. My taxes are simple though; just a few 1099's.
I've tried Credit Karma's "Tax" product, but they insist on requiring a phone for two-factor authentication, and for some reason they dislike my voip phone - even when I've set it for "call me" instead of texting. Hence, I was unable to test Credit Karma Tax :-(.
smihaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:16 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
10% off of what? It's free for federal returns. Are you referring to state returns?
Yes, federal is free but 10% off state and any add ons.
lauradrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:41 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

I buy the disk for macintax/turbotax. then i share it around to amortize the cost and build goodwill.
indiajust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:55 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

I've used H&R Block Deluxe for quite a few years (maybe a decade?). Turbo Tax prior to that. Both work fine for my situation.
ďIt's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Same here
Old 03-03-2021, 08:01 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike40 View Post
I've used H&R Block Deluxe for quite a few years (maybe a decade?). Turbo Tax prior to that. Both work fine for my situation.
Been using H&R for over ten years now. Much better than Turbo for people who know what they are doing.
ychuck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:57 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

I started with TaxAct a few years ago as it will do our 1065 Partnership Return and then import it into the 1040 return (at least it used to, last year I had to enter the K-1s by hand).

The price has been creeping up, but I've figured out the quirks now, it has all our depreciated assets in a worksheet, and so am reluctant to change.

I also believe that Intuit is a pretty evil company so am loathe to give them any $. Unless TaxAct screws up, I will probably continue using it.
PaddyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:10 PM   #73

I've used FreeTaxUSA for 3 years but this year I had a slightly more complicated return so I purchased HRB Self-Employed/Rental. Yesterday, I got to the 2210 under payment form as I do every year since like many of you, I have varied income coming in. I was surprised to see that this paying app neglected to include the input for qualified dividends and capital gains unlike the FREE FreeTaxUSA and got a tax penalty. I thought that perhaps the form had changed so I finished the online FreeTaxUSA and saw that it had that information. Luckily, HRB allows you to access the whole form and found the lines to input the data and there was no tax penalty. Next year, I don't think I'll need the HRB software so it's back to FreeTaxUSA. BTW, I got the same results for both apps.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:35 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Turbo Tax is my favorite.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:41 PM   #75

My mom didn't receive her second stimulus check for some reason, and doesn't usually need to file a tax return. I had already purchased H&R block Deluxe to try out, so I used it to a file a return for her to get the stimulus money. It worked fine, even with some of the odd forms she has with the railroad retirement.

I'm guessing I'll need to file a return for her again next year to get the latest round of stimulus payments.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:26 AM   #76
Dryer sheet wannabe

I used TurboTax for a lot of years and liked it, but finally got disgusted with the company's attitude, increasing prices, changing ownership, etc. Switched to H&R software for a number of years - also worked just fine. Then started using FreeTaxUSA. Worked just fine too. I did my state tax with FreeTax, but did not pay them to e-file - just printed it out and mailed it or transcribed the numbers into the state's free on-line forms.

I use TaxSlayer as a VITA preparer doing free returns for other people; I do not like that package. While it certainly does get the job done, it is really poor software and can be quite confusing for someone not trained in it. I would never pay to use it! If I was not in the VITA program, I would still be using FreeTaxUSA.
Mauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:28 AM   #77

Regarding the 2nd EIP, the HRB asked if I received the 2nd EIP in 2020 and did not include "or in 2021" which FreeTaxUSA clearly did. It appears to be a fast fix as it was not included in the in the interview but comes up at the final review step as missing information that you have to enter directly into the worksheet form. Again, showing when it comes to FreeTaxUSA, you actually get more than you paid for unlike the more expensive HRB Self-Employed/Rental.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:36 PM   #78

So which software (or online site) allows you to file an amended return (2019) electronically?

The tax software I used for 2019 only supports filing a paper 1040X...maybe because the IRS only started accepting e-filed (instead of paper) 1040X returns late last year.

I want to e-file it given the current backlog on paper returns since the above would affect my 2020 return which is not yet filed.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
So which software (or online site) allows you to file an amended return (2019) electronically?

The tax software I used for 2019 only supports filing a paper 1040X...maybe because the IRS only started accepting e-filed (instead of paper) 1040X returns late last year.

I want to e-file it given the current backlog on paper returns since the above would affect my 2020 return which is not yet filed.
I donít think you can file an amended return electronically. They shut off the year around August if I recall correctly. Maybe a tax preparer has the capability, but I donít think the personal software does.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:23 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
I have used TurboTax and TaxAct and TaxHawk, my favorite is TaxHawk. And it's free for federal returns.

I am considering switching from TaxAct to Taxhawk also, but I have a couple questions:
1) my wife is self-employed (online work for a software company) - can it handle that kind of thing?
2) we also have rental income from a second house that we rent out at certain times of the year. Can it handle that?

Also, would I have to pay to get an enhanced version of TaxHawk to deal with these things, or would the basic (free) version be sufficient?

Thanks in advance for your help...........
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote