Favorite Tax Preparation Software?

I used TurboTax for a lot of years and liked it, but finally got disgusted with the company's attitude, increasing prices, changing ownership, etc. Switched to H&R software for a number of years - also worked just fine. Then started using FreeTaxUSA. Worked just fine too. I did my state tax with FreeTax, but did not pay them to e-file - just printed it out and mailed it or transcribed the numbers into the state's free on-line forms.

I use TaxSlayer as a VITA preparer doing free returns for other people; I do not like that package. While it certainly does get the job done, it is really poor software and can be quite confusing for someone not trained in it. I would never pay to use it! If I was not in the VITA program, I would still be using FreeTaxUSA.

Last edited:
Regarding the 2nd EIP, the HRB asked if I received the 2nd EIP in 2020 and did not include "or in 2021" which FreeTaxUSA clearly did. It appears to be a fast fix as it was not included in the in the interview but comes up at the final review step as missing information that you have to enter directly into the worksheet form. Again, showing when it comes to FreeTaxUSA, you actually get more than you paid for unlike the more expensive HRB Self-Employed/Rental.

Last edited:
So which software (or online site) allows you to file an amended return (2019) electronically?

The tax software I used for 2019 only supports filing a paper 1040X...maybe because the IRS only started accepting e-filed (instead of paper) 1040X returns late last year.

I want to e-file it given the current backlog on paper returns since the above would affect my 2020 return which is not yet filed.

So which software (or online site) allows you to file an amended return (2019) electronically?

The tax software I used for 2019 only supports filing a paper 1040X...maybe because the IRS only started accepting e-filed (instead of paper) 1040X returns late last year.

I want to e-file it given the current backlog on paper returns since the above would affect my 2020 return which is not yet filed.

I don’t think you can file an amended return electronically. They shut off the year around August if I recall correctly. Maybe a tax preparer has the capability, but I don’t think the personal software does.

I have used TurboTax and TaxAct and TaxHawk, my favorite is TaxHawk. And it's free for federal returns.

I am considering switching from TaxAct to Taxhawk also, but I have a couple questions:
1) my wife is self-employed (online work for a software company) - can it handle that kind of thing?
2) we also have rental income from a second house that we rent out at certain times of the year. Can it handle that?

Also, would I have to pay to get an enhanced version of TaxHawk to deal with these things, or would the basic (free) version be sufficient?

Thanks in advance for your help...........

I am considering switching from TaxAct to Taxhawk also, but I have a couple questions:
1) my wife is self-employed (online work for a software company) - can it handle that kind of thing?
2) we also have rental income from a second house that we rent out at certain times of the year. Can it handle that?

Also, would I have to pay to get an enhanced version of TaxHawk to deal with these things, or would the basic (free) version be sufficient?

Thanks in advance for your help...........

What you can do is go to Taxhawk and answer some questions and they will tell you what they recommend based on what you need to file.

A quick $0.02 - TurboTax was an unpleasant surprise related to filing for a Trust (1041). Not only did I have to buy the very separate version for Business (not Home and Business), it didn't offer the ability to create the return for the State of Utah.

What TurboTax did nicely was to ask appropriate questions for a first-year filing and identify what type of Trust I have the eyes of the IRS. This was my first year managing my mother's estate and it wasn't bad overall. I just needed to buy a version different from what I already purchased for doing our personal returns.

Best regards,
Chris

Had never used tax software until 2000, when Fidelity sent me a free copy of TurboTax. I was skeptical, but decided to give it a try. Loved it. Stuck with TurboTax until 2020, when I realized I'd have to upgrade my iMac operating system.

Found that I wouldn't have to do so with H&R, so I went with them.
Both returns came out fine, & it's cheaper than TT.
H&R is my favorite now.

I despise the TurboTax commercials.
FREE FREE, FREE FREE FREE :D

A quick $0.02 - TurboTax was an unpleasant surprise related to filing for a Trust (1041). Not only did I have to buy the very separate version for Business (not Home and Business), it didn't offer the ability to create the return for the State of Utah.

What TurboTax did nicely was to ask appropriate questions for a first-year filing and identify what type of Trust I have the eyes of the IRS. This was my first year managing my mother's estate and it wasn't bad overall. I just needed to buy a version different from what I already purchased for doing our personal returns.

Best regards,
Chris

H&R Block is much cheaper for their "business" (estates & trusts) tax prep program & it included my state (TurboTax Business didn't)

Back
Top Bottom