Fear During a Recession

Re: Fear During a Recession

So...I believe Great Britain has enjoyed about a thousand years (1066 - battle of hastings?) as a nation, a going concern, if you will. Since it started as a monarchy and is now a democracy with a parlimentary system, and we started as a (albiet racist, sexist) republic that modeled much of our constitution on British common law, we started at a better point and should last at least as long, and probably much longer! Contact me in 800 years and we'll discuss America's impending decline. If you want to argue that England has declined, yes, they no long have an empire that the sun never sets on, but half the world speaks their language, they belong to a union of nations that is founded on economic and social equality, not warmongering, and the quality of life for an English citizen is the highest it's ever been. I have high hopes the United States will pass through it's Imperial youth into such comfortable middle age.

Diversify your portfolio and play with your kids.

So L, is it safe to come out of my underground bunker? I been in here with a loaded rifle & canned goods ever since the last time I read the board :D

brewer12345 said:
Hey Charles, for all that you started your post with a ersonal insult (shove it where the sun don't shine, BTW ;) ), you basically said the same thing I did to OP.

The funny thing is that we all got into this discussions about Gold, bunkers, guns and Mad Max and nowhere in the text that I indicated I saw anything different than what is suggested by the flamers. It makes me wonder if the critics actually read the article or if they started flaming after just seeing the name of the author (the infamous piglet rapist).

wildcat said:
So L, is it safe to come out of my underground bunker? I been in here with a loaded rifle & canned goods even since the last time I read the board :D

It's a nice day, come on out! :D

Actually, I have my own theory of why people predict the end is near. It has to do with fear of mortality, of insignificance, and the need to feel important, or at least live in "important" times. Such is the self absorbed nature of man, but I digress.

camberiu said:
The funny thing is that we all got into this discussions about Gold, bunkers, guns and Mad Max and nowhere in the text that I indicated I saw anything different than what is suggested by the flamers. It makes me wonder if the critics actually read the article or if they started flaming after just seeing the name of the author (the infamous piglet rapist).

I read the article and it appeared to be the same drooling-idiocy perma bear nonsense available for years from any number of sources. At least Prof. Roubini has data to back up his argument. The piglet rapist appears to only have the bible and whatever the aliens circling Uranus get past his tinfoil hat to back up his frothings.

Laurence said:
It has to do with fear of mortality, of insignificance, and the need to feel important, or at least live in "important" times. Such is the self absorbed nature of man, but I digress.
Sounds like they're asking you to blow a little too much code for that graduate degree!

But you're right. And 10 years from now this would all seem pretty silly if it wasn't for the impending crisis of that day...

brewer12345 said:
I read the article and it appeared to be the same drooling-idiocy perma bear nonsense available for years from any number of sources. At least Prof. Roubini has data to back up his argument. The piglet rapist appears to only have the bible and whatever the aliens circling Uranus get past his tinfoil hat to back up his frothings.

I would really like you to point out the thin hat stuff that he spoke of on the article. here are the most doom&gloom comments I could find:

-"You probably will not be fired. You received a Christmas bonus – maybe. Don’t expect a big one next Christmas."

-"Have you made an honest assessment of your position in a falling economy? Have you got some sense of how marginal you are in today’s economy? If this economy heads as far south as it did in 1991, what will your income/outgo position be?"

"Recessions are hard times for businesses. People in good times think they have done all they can when they hedge their investment portfolio against falling demand. But the fact is, what threatens most people is not a fall in their investments, since they have so few investments. What threatens them most is the loss of a job or the sidetracking of a career."

-"Could you live for six months on your liquid reserves? If not, it’s time to sell some less liquid assets in order to increase your liquidity."

Now, what EXACTLY in here or in the article is outrageous, lunacy or complete lack of common sense? I don't care what he wrote in the past. Maybe he wrote horrible thinks, I dunno and I do not care. But whan in here is so outrageous to provoke the responses we got?

camberiu said:
Now, what EXACTLY in here or in the article is outrageous, lunacy or complete lack of common sense? I don't care what he wrote in the past. Maybe he wrote horrible thinks, I dunno and I do not care. But whan in here is so outrageous to provoke the responses we got?

Sorry, there are so many people who try blowing smoke up my ass when it comes to investing, that an author must have credibility before I will listen. Mr. Piglet Rapist did himself in on the credibility front long before he wrote the shallow piece of trash you linked to.

Aside from the credibility issue, there is such a thing as a balanced discussion of personal financial planning. Mr. P-R dwells exclusively on the worst possible outcomes without any discussion of the likelihood of such an outcome or any of teh other possibilities in the world.

Hint: try linking to an article written to someone with credibility (and without a fondness for immature pork).

From now on, I think that any perma-bear or other nutball I run across on teh forum will be referred to by m e as a piglet rapist.

brewer12345 said:
Hint: try linking to an article written to someone with credibility (and without a fondness for immature pork).

From now on, I think that any perma-bear or other nutball I run across on teh forum will be referred to by m e as a piglet rapist.
So, as long as it is limited to Hogzillas, you are alright with it :LOL:

camberiu said:
So, as long as it is limited to Hogzillas, you are alright with it :LOL:

Hey, now I can say that H0cu5 and Cramer are both piglet rapists!

brewer12345 said:
Hey, now I can say that H0cu5 and Cramer are both piglet rapists!
Dory, BMJ, when you set up the text filters for inappropriate language, did you ever expect to have to deal with inflammatory phrases like "beever cheeze" or "piglet rapists"?

Nords said:
Dory, BMJ, when you set up the text filters for inappropriate language, did you ever expect to have to deal with inflammatory phrases like "beever cheeze" or "piglet rapists"?

The original term was actually "piglet sodomizer", which is a lot more specific than "piglet rapist".

camberiu said:
The original term was actually "piglet sodomizer", which is a lot more specific than "piglet rapist".

Any port in a storm, as he first mate said to the cabin boy. Hur, hur, hur...

Brewer, you can sure get gross!

Ha

HaHa said:
Brewer, you can sure get gross!

Ha

Only when provoked (usually).

img_464025_0_e5dea2c71d8f427916da699e2c288ac6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom