Join Early Retirement Today

Fed Buying Treasurys: Please 'splain
Old 03-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fed Buying Treasurys: Please 'splain

Fed decides to buy Treasurys

It sounds like the government is borrowing money from itself. Help me understand what they did and how it helps. Thanks.

Also why isn't it "treasuries" instead of "treasurys?"
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

It sounds like the government is borrowing money from itself. Help me understand what they did and how it helps. Thanks.

No, they are creating new money out of thin air. Can't you hear the printing presses?! I believe the idea is that it will keep long term interest rates low, and boost investment in housing and other areas.

And I've often wondered about that plural myself ...

Peter
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:

The government - through the Treasury department - borrows money by selling bonds and other debt to all buyers. The Fed manages the supply of money in circulation to affect the financial system and the economy. In this case, it buys long term bonds in circulation, drives up the price, which drives down the yield and interest rate, and (hopefully) will drive down the interest rates of other bonds, like mortgage bonds and such.
Quote:
Actually, it's neither. It is "Treasury Bonds"
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hmm. Why do football teams get three "time outs" per half and not three "times out"?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

because both treasury and time out is considered the proper name of a specific something thus just an s is added, i think lol
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #6

Quote:

In a sense, you're right that it appears that way. Last night's NewsHour with Jim Lehrer covered this topic a bit: When the Government Writes Checks, Where Does the Money Come From? | Online NewsHour | March 17, 2009 | PBS

The Central Bank is, however, quite different than the Treasury Department, a fact made all the more clear by AIG's involvement with botht the Federal Reserve Bank of New York/Fed and the Treasury Department. Here's some stuff on the role of the Central Banks: Central bank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The silver lining of the great recession is that we are becoming more educated about how the financial system works. Unfortunately for most of the board members the cost of the education easily exceeds 4 years at an Ivy League school
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

They did this on my birthday for a reason. Nice move on those 20yr TIPS!!!
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #9

Doesn't this seem unsustainable?

If the government is going to be printing money to buy-back their treasury bonds, it seems like most people will become more reluctant to own them, thus selling more and more of the bonds to the Fed.

Seems like this is going to destroy the dollar if they do a whole lot of it.

They're going to make me into a gold bug yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
No, they are creating new money out of thin air. Can't you hear the printing presses?! I believe the idea is that it will keep long term interest rates low, and boost investment in housing and other areas.

And I've often wondered about that plural myself ...

Peter
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
They did this on my birthday for a reason. Nice move on those 20yr TIPS!!!
No kidding. My January 2025s just spiked up more than 600 basis points.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 03-18-2009, 03:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've often wondered about this point and consider it to be among the most profound questions of modern finance .
Old 03-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Brits avoid this problem by calling them "gilts". Not "gilties".
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
The silver lining of the great recession is that we are becoming more educated about how the financial system works. Unfortunately for most of the board members the cost of the education easily exceeds 4 years at an Ivy League school
I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry on that one. I think I will cry.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Doesn't this seem unsustainable?

If the government is going to be printing money to buy-back their treasury bonds, it seems like most people will become more reluctant to own them, thus selling more and more of the bonds to the Fed.

Seems like this is going to destroy the dollar if they do a whole lot of it.

They're going to make me into a gold bug yet
The government isn't buying back it's own treasury bonds. The Fed is buying, and by doing so, driving down the long term interest rate. By driving own the treasury rate, it is hoping that long term rates will decline in general, thus 1) making things like mortgages cheaper so people and companies will invest, and 2) driving investors toward higher risk investments.

The whole trick is to do so without debasing the currency or exposing the economy. The decline in the US$ today vs gold and the Euro means some folks out there don't think the fed can do it.

Risk hasn't gone away - it's just getting more complex.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
For someone who is very interested in economics and public policy, it is certainly both exciting and terrifying at the same time.

I could do without this education from the School of Hard Knocks, but I do find it very interesting, painful as it has been...
Old 03-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #16

I wonder what company makes oil for printing presses? That might be a great investment.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The government isn't buying back it's own treasury bonds. The Fed is buying, and by doing so, driving down the long term interest rate.
OK, so where is the Fed getting the money?
Cruising2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
... The whole trick is to do so without debasing the currency or exposing the economy. The decline in the US$ today vs gold and the Euro means some folks out there don't think the fed can do it. ...
I'm no expert on currency moves but will note that generally when US rates move lower the dollar moves lower against other developed country currencies too. I think there is some logical arbitrage going on there.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post
I wonder what company makes oil for printing presses? That might be a great investment.
No oil need, just electrons. Sadly a 64-bit microprocessor and Vista are able to keep track of millions of trillion dollar transactions.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

ill say one thing, you know those long term treasuries the talking heads warned you not to buy? man i sold tlt today after an 8% rise in 1 hour...

remember the fed has little control normally on long term rates , the only way they can influence long term rates is buy buying treasuries like everyone else and creating demand
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote