Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Fed raise rates what does that mean for stock market
Old 06-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fed raise rates what does that mean for stock market

Just wondering what effect will raising interest rates effect the mutual fund/stock market future?
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2017, 05:09 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

It was already anticipated, the markets new exactly what the Fed was going to do. No surprises.

The bond markets rallied big time in the morning because inflation came in weaker than expected. They don't think the Fed is going to be able to raise rates much more because economic data seems to be weaker lately. The stock market hasn't reacted that much to the weaker economic data. Or maybe as long as interest rates stay low they will ignore the details and party.

The Fed admitted that inflation is below target and likely to remain so for the near future. But they didn't change their rate raising projection.

The Fed also disclosed specific details of their planned great balance sheet unwind which they still say will start this year - most assume that means December. Markets don't seem to have reacted to this yet. I suspect they don't believe the Fed will get around to starting the process this year.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:59 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

audreyh1 >>>> that was explained very well. I thank you for the insight.

I did mean Fed in the title but I couldn't edit the title.

Thanks
Old 06-15-2017, 06:53 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

<SNIP>

The Fed also disclosed specific details of their planned great balance sheet unwind which they still say will start this year - most assume that means December. Markets don't seem to have reacted to this yet. I suspect they don't believe the Fed will get around to starting the process this year.
Is there a good tutorial of what the "great balance sheet unwind" IS, how it's done, possible ramifications for investments, inflation, who is most likely to be helped/harmed, etc.? Thanks for any help understanding this.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:08 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Is there a good tutorial of what the "great balance sheet unwind" IS, how it's done, possible ramifications for investments, inflation, who is most likely to be helped/harmed, etc.? Thanks for any help understanding this.
From what I read, this balance sheet unwinding is as much unexplored territory as QE was originally. So who knows?

Whether QE was even a net positive is still debated by some. (Not me: I think QE allowed the financial markets negotiate some pretty rocky shores without running aground completely - MHO.)
Old 06-15-2017, 07:29 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
This article goes into the plan details of lowering the Fed balance sheet from $4.5 trillion to $2-2.5 trillion over about 4 years. This balance sheet was built up by the Fed buying Treasuries and mortgage and Agency debt during the various quantitative easing that occurred through 2014. You would expect this to put pressure on interest rates as a buyer shrinks its portfolio.
Interest rates addressed at Fed meeting with Janet Yellen

Even though the Fed has been talking about starting this process since March, and now the plan details and timeline have been released, I have read very little speculation about how this might impact various markets. It could be that few investors believe the Fed is really going to do this unwind, or that think it will get put off due to weaker economic conditions.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:33 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Whether QE was even a net positive is still debated by some. (Not me: I think QE allowed the financial markets negotiate some pretty rocky shores without running aground completely - MHO.)
Me too. The main downside has been stock markets higher than they perhaps should be, so perhaps more pain to come as they finally "normalize". Still probably better than running aground a few years ago.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:38 AM   #8

Don't fight the Fed.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:35 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

So, the Fed has now raised rates 1%... yet both short and long term banking interest rates for consumer are still stagnant. When are we going to see a rise in CD rates?
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:41 AM   #10

Short term CD rates have risen, longer term such 5 year have actually dropped a little. Meaning maybe the long term outlook for rates may be in question.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:18 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
So, the Fed has now raised rates 1%... yet both short and long term banking interest rates for consumer are still stagnant. When are we going to see a rise in CD rates?
High yield savings accounts rate have increased a little recently, but they also didn't go down as far as the Fed did.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:37 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
This article goes into the plan details of lowering the Fed balance sheet from $4.5 trillion to $2-2.5 trillion over about 4 years. This balance sheet was built up by the Fed buying Treasuries and mortgage and Agency debt during the various quantitative easing that occurred through 2014. You would expect this to put pressure on interest rates as a buyer shrinks its portfolio.
Interest rates addressed at Fed meeting with Janet Yellen

Even though the Fed has been talking about starting this process since March, and now the plan details and timeline have been released, I have read very little speculation about how this might impact various markets. It could be that few investors believe the Fed is really going to do this unwind, or that think it will get put off due to weaker economic conditions.
Thanks! That is somewhat helpful. I never really understood the QE's, so unwinding them will probably be even more difficult to understand. Still, it's a place to start. I will be very interested to see what folks anticipate the ramifications for us FIRE'd types will be. Stock prices seem like a possible casualty. I hope never to have a mortgage again - didn't even plan the last one but had to work it that way rather than sell old first and then buy new. That was a real "pleasure" back in late '09/'10!

I guess the only way to proceed in any case is to stay diversified and be ready to invoke one of my many back-up plans if need be. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #13

Unwinding as I understand it: you just stop buying new bonds, and as the old ones expire your balance sheet shrinks.

QE for extreme dummies: You buy bonds in the open market. The Federal Reserve issues IOUs to the sellers of those bonds. Because they are the Federal Reserve, these IOUs are actually called USD.

Net intended effect = you make more dollars, and increase demand for bonds. So inflation goes up, bond interest goes down.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Fed up
Old 06-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fed up

Bond market is not concerned with inflation. If the fed keeps raising simply to show they can without any good reason I don't think the stock matket will like a watered down punch once sobriety kicks in.
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:03 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

But hey they're coming out from deep in the hole so they still have time to decide if they'll hit the rocks hard or just beach the boat.
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:55 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Unwinding as I understand it: you just stop buying new bonds, and as the old ones expire your balance sheet shrinks.

QE for extreme dummies: You buy bonds in the open market. The Federal Reserve issues IOUs to the sellers of those bonds. Because they are the Federal Reserve, these IOUs are actually called USD.

Net intended effect = you make more dollars, and increase demand for bonds. So inflation goes up, bond interest goes down.
Thanks, that helps a lot. Guess I'm the dummy. YMMV

Old 06-18-2017, 03:20 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free bird View Post
Bond market is not concerned with inflation. If the fed keeps raising simply to show they can without any good reason I don't think the stock matket will like a watered down punch once sobriety kicks in.
That's a great analogy!!!
Old 06-19-2017, 03:19 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

historically the last 45 years except for 1994 the bond market likes when the fed raises short term rates .

every time the fed pushed rates up by more than 1% in a year the bond market did well because that squelches inflation .

stocks have also responded well to slow increases in short term rates . it is only when the fed raises them to fast that the markets have sold off .
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:28 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the great information.