Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-09-2016, 01:52 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Why do you think you aren't at risk? The tax fraud has nothing to do with withholding.
I guess maybe I'm missing something then. And that would not be unheard of.

Are you saying that the IRS doesn't even check your withholding account before cutting a check? If that's the case, what a bunch of bozos we have running this show!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #102
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post

Are you saying that the IRS doesn't even check your withholding account before cutting a check? If that's the case, what a bunch of bozos we have running this show!
That is I how I understand it. The fake return has your details and that's about all that matches, the thieves don't need to replicate the company details of the W2's, 1099's etc that were filed in the previous year or try to match up the actual withholdings those companies have filed this year with your SSN.
http://www.fraud-magazine.com/articl...?id=4294982014

Quote:
Thanks to paperless e-filing, this scam is easier to pull off than ever before. Thieves can simply make up phony wages or other income, submit the information electronically and receive the fraudulent refund via mail or direct deposit within a month. Of course, the IRS keeps records of earned wages and other types of taxable income reported by taxpayers’ employers and other organizations. However, the IRS doesn’t match these records to information submitted electronically by identity thieves until several months after it issues refund checks. By the time the IRS tells the victim that it has received another tax form in his or her name, the thief has cashed the refund check and is long gone with the money. The identity thief wins, and the U.S. Treasury and the victimized taxpayer are the losers.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #103

Nobody likes to give the IRS more money to operate with. I wonder why?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 4.15.03 PM.png (102.0 KB, 105 views)
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Well, the tax return is what establishes whether you are owed or not.

You would think that a check could at least be made on the taxes paid so far, and flag a mismatch.

A big part of the problem is that the IRS is required by law to process refunds very quickly, and there is not enough time to do a complete verification, and the crooks have figured out how to game this system.

9 out of 10 refunds are issued in 21 days. I don't know what the law requires.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #105

Quote:
A big part of the problem is that the IRS is required by law to process refunds very quickly, and there is not enough time to do a complete verification, and the crooks have figured out how to game this system.
The query would take a few milliseconds. The small percentage that came back flagged would probably be the issue since they'd have to disposition those returns quickly. And of course it would all over the news when one taxpayer gets flagged and it takes an extra month to get the check cut. For all the fraud money they pay out, you'd think they'd just hire some part-timers to eyeball the flagged ones.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
What is very quickly? a month? two months? I just like to know when to sue the IRS since it's been a month since I e filed (Only kidding about suing the IRS)

Apparently 21 Billion in fraudulent refunds is not large enough to change the law to allow the IRS to mandate earlier releases of W2s from employers and 1099s from investment firms or delay the issuance of refund check to allow for matching records. Meanwhile 334,000 people in 2015 had to suffer through their identity being stolen and their refunds being delayed for months.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:24 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
What is very quickly? a month? two months? I just like to know when to sue the IRS since it's been a month since I e filed (Only kidding about suing the IRS)

Apparently 21 Billion in fraudulent refunds is not large enough to change the law to allow the IRS to mandate earlier releases of W2s from employers and 1099s from investment firms or delay the issuance of refund check to allow for matching records. Meanwhile 334,000 people in 2015 had to suffer through their identity being stolen and their refunds being delayed for months.
21 days.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The query would take a few milliseconds. The small percentage that came back flagged would probably be the issue since they'd have to disposition those returns quickly. And of course it would all over the news when one taxpayer gets flagged and it takes an extra month to get the check cut. For all the fraud money they pay out, you'd think they'd just hire some part-timers to eyeball the flagged ones.
It's not like the IRS can use any revenue saved from flagging fraudulent tax returns to supplement its budget, LOL! It already has an established budget it must stick to.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:06 PM   #109

If it were a private or public company, the money paid out would come out of someone's budget, and I kind of doubt the CEO of said company would be idiotic enough not to stop the bleeding by transferring some of the fraud refund budget to temp labor.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:07 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If it were a private or public company, the money paid out would come out of someone's budget, and I kind of doubt the CEO of said company would be idiotic enough not to stop the bleeding by transferring some of the fraud refund budget to temp labor.
Well, the CEO in this case in Congress. They make the rules, and they hold the purse strings (determine the budget).
Old 03-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #111

Too bad we don't have Federal ballot initiatives. I'd make one that takes the IRS fraud funds out of their pay. What tax payer wouldn't support that? And then they'd be properly incentivized.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:14 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Too bad we don't have Federal ballot initiatives. I'd make one that takes the IRS fraud funds out of their pay. What tax payer wouldn't support that? And then they'd be properly incentivized.
To find another job, LOL!
Old 03-09-2016, 04:18 PM   #113
Administrator

Well, if I were King of the world I'd have Google build one of those flying things that send laser beam shots that Luke Skywalker used to train with on the Millennium Falcon. A fleet of those things to fly around and shock people that cheat on their taxes. More cheating = bigger shock.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:20 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, the tax return is what establishes whether you are owed or not.

You would think that a check could at least be made on the taxes paid so far, and flag a mismatch.

9 out of 10 refunds are issued in 21 days. I don't know what the law requires.

I filed mine in January and got my money in 4 days. My return was not done 100% accurate, but I got my money and no thief stole my ID. I feel compelled to jump the gun to avoid what has happened to some here and will continue as long as the threat exists.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:50 PM   #115

I filed the first week of February and have not received my refund. The "where's my refund" site says "processing" as it has for weeks. Since I was in both OPM breaches, I naturally am a bit paranoid. Any other retired federal employees finding their return delayed without explanation? ( and, yes, I know it is not all that late) The return, itself, was accepted at the IRS almost immediately on submission so I thought there was no problem from multiple submissions. Now I worry.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Well, if I were King of the world I'd have Google build one of those flying things that send laser beam shots that Luke Skywalker used to train with on the Millennium Falcon. A fleet of those things to fly around and shock people that cheat on their taxes. More cheating = bigger shock.
Excellent! Then we can use the software from Department of Pre-Crime Is Becoming a Reality - Hit & Run : Reason.com to identify the offenders before they commit the crime, and shock them so hard they can't type.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:54 PM   #117

Quote:

The IRS (actually social security which forwards it, w-2) does not get W-2 or 1099 info until 3/31. so if you file before they have no way of checking. You get the forms earlier so that corrections if needed can be made before they are sent to the IRS.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
I filed the first week of February and have not received my refund. The "where's my refund" site says "processing" as it has for weeks. Since I was in both OPM breaches, I naturally am a bit paranoid. Any other retired federal employees finding their return delayed without explanation? ( and, yes, I know it is not all that late) The return, itself, was accepted at the IRS almost immediately on submission so I thought there was no problem from multiple submissions. Now I worry.
Did you eFile? If so, your filing would have been rejected very quickly if someone already filed using your credentials.

If your eFile was accepted, no one (has yet) filed using your SS#.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
The IRS (actually social security which forwards it, w-2) does not get W-2 or 1099 info until 3/31. so if you file before they have no way of checking. You get the forms earlier so that corrections if needed can be made before they are sent to the IRS.
There you go - I couldn't find this information.

This basically gives the crooks a big window of opportunity.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:25 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
Not a retired federal employee and was not affected by any previous breaches but I'm still waiting for my refund after my return was e filed on February 9 and accepted on the same day by the IRS.

I get the same message as you do on "where is my refund". I plan to call on Monday if I don't get my refund before then.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote