Fed Tax Filing/pay now July 15th - Offical?

The filing date move back only matters if you owe taxes, right (unless you wish to procrastinate & delay a refund)?

I'll wait until the new deadline for the same reason I don't "overpay for a refund" now.
I don't enjoy overpaying, but given the late knowledge on MF Div's & CG's plus LLC income, hard not too do so & assure non underpayment penalty. I thought for sure our '19 income was going to be some higher than '18, but I was wrong.

Of course. I'm assuming those that lend to the Gov't throughout the year file ASAP.
We only lend from late Nov. on thru March & miss 1-2% annual interest for that time on the refund. It's a real killer.

The filing date move back only matters if you owe taxes, right (unless you wish to procrastinate & delay a refund)?

That’s correct if you prepare your own taxes. The extension is helpful to people who cannot/do not file on their own. For example, the 350+ seniors who have had their tax prep appointments at our AARP TaxAide site cancelled. Multiplied by all the other tax prep places (volunteer and paid) that have had to close.

Our AARP site has been down since March 16th. Seems we'd be able to complete a few more Returns (at least Reviews) had it not been for the mandated switch to ChromeBooks.

Our AARP site has been down since March 16th. Seems we'd be able to complete a few more Returns (at least Reviews) had it not been for the mandated switch to ChromeBooks.

How does the Chromebook affect things?

Seems we’ve gone to the chrome books to reduce potential security issues. As such, Tax Slayer should only be accessed from Chromebooks at work locales and no longer from a counselor’s home computer. Just don’t see the security upgrade that the Chromebooks supposedly offer,

Seems we’ve gone to the chrome books to reduce potential security issues. As such, Tax Slayer should only be accessed from Chromebooks at work locales and no longer from a counselor’s home computer. Just don’t see the security upgrade that the Chromebooks supposedly offer,

I don't understand how these things work........is the security in the Chromebooks or the combo of Chromebook/work locale? We were allowed to take the Chromebooks home.

How does the Chromebook affect things?

It doesn’t in this case. There is no way to properly do returns or QRs without being face to face with the taxpayer. Since our sites are closed down and we have been given specific instructions that we are NOT to use video conference or drop-off to prepare taxes, it doesn’t matter that we were issued Chromebooks this year rather than PC laptops.

If we are given the ok to open up again before the 7/15 filing deadline, I expect a scramble to align available volunteers with open sites. In my case I could return to my usual site until 5/1, when I move to the mountain house. I sent an email to the district coordinator up there, offering my services starting in May (if we are allowed to open)

I don't understand how these things work........is the security in the Chromebooks or the combo of Chromebook/work locale? We were allowed to take the Chromebooks home.

We didn't take Chromebooks home due to daily need. We have approx. two dozen counselors, worked 5 days, and had 10 chromebooks. The number of Chromebooks limited the number of counselors to 10 on any given tax session. (We operated out of an empty store in a shopping mall). Never did figure out the "extra line" of security the chromebooks provided.

Never did figure out the "extra line" of security the chromebooks provided.

I think the main things are that the Chromebook OS is (a) less likely to be attacked / susceptible to viruses and other malware, and (b) more likely to be kept up to date, so easier to maintain a fleet of them and less likely to be Windows updating in the middle of a tax prep session.

Back
Top Bottom