Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-25-2020, 01:06 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I have made the executive decision to archive our historical financial info using my current version of Quicken 2019 that runs out in May June timeframe.

I Will setup all new MoneyDance database for 2021. I may try to port some accounts from quicken into MoneyDance, but will not go overboard if QIF or QFX exporting/importing involves too much cleanup.

It is not as if we do not have time in these Covid Days, before we get our Vaccinations. Seems like good make work project and learning exercise. I have downloaded the new version so the commitment has been made.
Good idea. While Quicken 2017 still works for my purposes and I have a workaround to deal with the loss of downloading price quotes, In January I will test importing my data into MoneyDance to evaluate it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2020, 08:35 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OP Here. Slowly dealing with MD quirks. I Actually have a Canadian Bank account fully updated from 2003, exported from quicken. Took a while because of repetitions (My fault) but no real issues. AND it actually supports the Canadian Export QFX where quicken did not. All Items had to be updated manually in quicken. So that is 1 for Moneydance. Backups were challenging as the filename changes with every import, appends the backup data, you have to rename the backup file in order for it to maintain the original Filename. (eg. Name Finance File)

Note: Importing from QFX from Banks works great. But Exporting from Quicken as QFX does not. I guess quicken is making life difficult for competitors. Of course QIF works well.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:09 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

One annoying feature in MD is Investments Accounts (for CD) show NEGATIVE amounts in the account but in the summary it is cumulatively POSITIVE. Not sure I understand the logic there. Cannot find anything in the Knowledge base on it.

These comments are based on importing info from Quicken so it could be an importing issue.
Old 12-28-2020, 01:55 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Looks like porting from Quicken is becoming more of a distant dream. Not worth the effort. The issue seems to be with the linked accounts. For example; if you pay a CC from Checking, it automatically appears in both accounts as such.

So after my initial review as a complete novice to MD. It is only feasible for me to start a new in 2021 with a clean slate. Although I have managed to transfer accounts that are standalone, like CDs or foreign bank accounts with no links. As my Quicken subscription runs out in June 2021, I will have plenty of time to get used to MD.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:20 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I know Quicken is very popular here, and I even bought it a few years ago after I learned that, to see if I might like it too.

Sadly, I hated it. It seemed so inflexible to me. I would probably hate Moneydance too, for the same reasons. I am the type who prefers to do these things in Excel, instead. But each to his own, and good luck with Moneydance!
Old 12-28-2020, 03:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I know Quicken is very popular here, and I even bought it a few years ago after I learned that, to see if I might like it too.

Sadly, I hated it. It seemed so inflexible to me. I would probably hate Moneydance too, for the same reasons. I am the type who prefers to do these things in Excel, instead. But each to his own, and good luck with Moneydance!
I can't say I'm fond of the reporting directly out of Quicken, but the ability to source and aggregate the data it does great. I then have a series of spreadsheets that I use for my analysis. Things like tracking balances and changes over time, spending as well, and even reports to let me quickly summarize my income/tax situation -- got to stay below that ACA you know But the reporting out of Quicken is very good for that, easy copy and paste into Excel, standard format each time is great.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Looks like porting from Quicken is becoming more of a distant dream. Not worth the effort. The issue seems to be with the linked accounts. For example; if you pay a CC from Checking, it automatically appears in both accounts as such.

So after my initial review as a complete novice to MD. It is only feasible for me to start a new in 2021 with a clean slate. Although I have managed to transfer accounts that are standalone, like CDs or foreign bank accounts with no links. As my Quicken subscription runs out in June 2021, I will have plenty of time to get used to MD.
I appreciated starting with a clean slate. I've done this numerous times and I find that I really don't need old data. I still have copies of MS Money/Quicken that I can load if I need to check something, which I think I've done once over the last 20 years.

The only thing I care about tracking in detail are my investments and I use spreadsheets for that. Otherwise, I use income/expense reports in Moneydance to track monthly/yearly spending, but that's about it. And beyond 2-3 years back, those reports aren't that helpful.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:04 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I tried Money Dance yesterday and was able to import Quicken file with some clean up at the end.

My only grief is that it does not support transactions download for my credit union. Also there may be issue with Costco city card download (I am still trying to set that up, quick check in the KB does not look promising )

My quicken subscription will expire in 04/2021, I have sometime to play with MD before I decide to switch. However, early verdict ... Is to stay with Quicken which is working well for me over 20 years.
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:18 AM   #29

I download Citi Costco transactions into MD without any issues. If a financial institution supports Quicken, then it should work for MD too.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:21 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I renewed Quicken Deluxe for 12 months the other day for $31.18... $51.99 less $20.80 in coupon savings... now I had to also buy a $10 Amazon gift card to get that deal but the Amazon gift card will be used in short order.

Not worth messing with for $31.18 a year... especially as I have mine set up just the way I like it... almost all financial accounts linked and in One-Step Update (except 5 accounts with ~1-2 transactions a month... Navy Federal retirement CDs, a whole life policy and a couple others) and I have all my bills and income defined so I can use the Projected Balances feature for cash management.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:28 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
I download Citi Costco transactions into MD without any issues. If a financial institution supports Quicken, then it should work for MD too.
Tulak: I cannot seem to find the DL to QIF or QFX on the Costco Citi visa, it only downloads PDF for me. I must be missing something?

Update: I found it. I have not used the card for over a month, there were no transactions. I went back a month and Bingo!
Old 12-29-2020, 01:06 PM   #32

Glad you got it to work. I have MD configured to auto download transactions from all sites that support it. For the few that donít, I manually download the transactions from their websites, but I find that to be a pain.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:12 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
Glad you got it to work. I have MD configured to auto download transactions from all sites that support it. For the few that don’t, I manually download the transactions from their websites, but I find that to be a pain.
I think you need to go to your profile when logged into the Costco Visa Website to setup automatic downloads. It activates the setup for 10 minutes.

It is under; Profile > More Settings > Manage Desktop Apps.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I renewed Quicken Deluxe for 12 months the other day for $31.18... $51.99 less $20.80 in coupon savings... now I had to also buy a $10 Amazon gift card to get that deal but the Amazon gift card will be used in short order.

Not worth messing with for $31.18 a year... especially as I have mine set up just the way I like it... almost all financial accounts linked and in One-Step Update (except 5 accounts with ~1-2 transactions a month... Navy Federal retirement CDs, a whole life policy and a couple others) and I have all my bills and income defined so I can use the Projected Balances feature for cash management.
I'm in the same camp, everything is working as I want it, my reports are set-up to easily paste into Excel. For $35-40/yr, I'm OK with that.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:23 PM   #35

Quote:
I think you need to go to your profile when logged into the Costco Visa Website to setup automatic downloads. It activates the setup for 10 minutes.

It is under; Profile > More Settings > Manage Desktop Apps.

I forgot about that. Now that you mention it, I remember that I did have to go through some steps to make it work. Itís been awhile since I set this up.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:50 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
I'm in the same camp, everything is working as I want it, my reports are set-up to easily paste into Excel. For $35-40/yr, I'm OK with that.

For me this wasnít an option because the Mac version of Quicken was bad. If it was equivalent to the PC version, then I probably would have stayed with Quicken.

One reason I went with Moneydance is that it supports all platforms equally. I have no regrets either, since their customer support is excellent (theyíve fixed issues Iíve found quickly) and the ability to use python is a great feature. Iíve generated a small collections of custom python scripts that I use regularly.

Iím also happy Iím not forced to upgrade, but I still do every couple of years. I paid $25 last month for the latest version. I have no issues paying for services that give me value. On the flip-side, I want to pay for them so they can be sustainable long-term.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:01 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Is this deal still available? I don't see it right now. If you can find it, please post a link, thanks.

edited: On this page, Deluxe is 51.99 (it doesn't explicitly say "new subscribers" vs. "renewal") and it says there's a 40% off coupon applied at checkout... however I took the order all the way up to "Place This Order" and it didn't take anything off. This is also the CD version, I'd prefer to get a download code since I'm just renewing my subscription...
https://www.amazon.com/Quicken-Delux.../dp/B082DNHYL3

edited again: The Q-and-A on the Amazon page has a message from Quicken Support: "Excellent question! You can use this to extend your current subscription. The new subscription time will be added onto the time you have remaining on your current Quicken subscription. To enter the activation code, in Quicken click Help> Enter activation code. If you would like further details or assistance with the process, you can reach out to us at quicken.com/contact-support. I hope this helps! -CL"

edited again: quicken.com has a 40% off deal but the fine print says it's for new users only: "† Limited time offer of 40% off the list price applies only to the purchase of Quicken Deluxe, Premier, Home, Business & Rental Property for the first year only when you order directly from Quicken by December 30, 2020, 11:59 PM PST. Offer good for new memberships only. Subscription billed annually. Offer listed above cannot be combined with any other offers. Terms, conditions, pricing, features, offers and service options subject to change without notice."
LarryMelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:20 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I had a devil of a time figuring out that 40% coupon... it doesn't seem to show up now... probably since I have already purchased it... on each page hit Ctrl-F and search for 40% and perhaps you'll find it... as I recall it was a small, obscure "button" to click.

They'll probably hoping that people will give up and just pay the full price.

ETA: Just found it... see right hand side of pic below when in cart that says Save 40%, Clip Coupon just under the $51.99 and click on that button.

I see what you wrote above but I bought it and use the code and it extended my subscription by 12 months.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (139.4 KB, 38 views)

Old 12-29-2020, 03:23 PM   #39
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMelman View Post
Is this deal still available? I don't see it right now. If you can find it, please post a link, thanks.

edited: On this page, Deluxe is 51.99 (it doesn't explicitly say "new subscribers" vs. "renewal") and it says there's a 40% off coupon applied at checkout... however I took the order all the way up to "Place This Order" and it didn't take anything off. This is also the CD version, I'd prefer to get a download code since I'm just renewing my subscription...
https://www.amazon.com/Quicken-Delux.../dp/B082DNHYL3
My experience regarding the 40% off: When looking at the shopping cart, there's a little box/link that says "Clip Coupon" (or something similar) below the Quicken price. Clicking that, it changed to say "Coupon Clipped", and when going to the Checkout screen it included the 40% coupon as a discount to the price.
EnricoPallazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:25 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Below are the terms and conditions for the 40% coupon... I think that the terms and conditions that you quoted don't apply to me because I bought it from Amazon and not Quicken:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (206.9 KB, 26 views)