Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-29-2020, 03:36 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

pb4uski and EnricoPallazzo, thanks very much for the info. I totally missed the "clip coupon" button.

Looks like Amazon's 40% off is from Amazon, and would apply to renewals. And I used my $10 gift card I got from buying TurboTax.

OK, I've found a deal on TT, and I've found a deal on Quicken. Next up: my annual battle with the cable company...

edited: pb4uski mentioned also having to buy a $10 gift card with Quicken. I didn't have to do that. However I did have to back on the 26th when I bought TT. I wonder if that was a quirk of buying various deals only on the 26th.
LarryMelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2020, 04:36 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Actually Larry, the $10 was from buying TT same as you, not Quicken... I was confused because the purchases happened so near to each other.

On the second part, can you get the major stations (ABC, CBS, Fox, PBS and NBC) via OTA? If so, I think an antenna and a Fire TV Recast OTA DVR is a nice set up and monthly cost is $0 and upfront cost is $230 for the Recast and $30 for a Fire Stick for each TV if you don't already have one. If no OTA then YTTV is the best of the streaming with live TV services IMO and is "only" $65/month.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:15 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I had good luck converting the last full mac version from 07 directly to 2020 beta. I have my entire life in here back to pass book savings accounts in the 70's. can't help myself.

I'm working on breaking the ex wife out of the database into a separate database just for her.

I did a Moneydance test and conversion also. That worked fine for a girlfriend I was helping. I had her set up on quicken old version but it was too much for her limited time to do the conversion. So she just manages the credit card from moneydance now. The rest is linked to brokerage
indiajust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:22 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I quit Quicken in 2017. I have Excel spreadsheets that do everything I need. Export transactions from my bank into a spreadsheet and paste into mine. Ymmv.
Old 01-01-2021, 08:52 PM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for the info on Full View. I am going to take a look at that. I have been using Mint for tracking categories and then download the data to MS Access. One thing I really like with Access is being able to print PDF reports.
hmango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:43 PM   #46
Dryer sheet wannabe

Went to Bankivity for Mac when quicken tried to get me into the cloud. Did not want that and am very happy with Banktivity by IGG software.
rathail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:48 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I missed this the first time around, but the Quicken 40%-off deal is back per this post at Slickdeals. Your current subscription can only be extended within 6 months of your end date, but you can buy the retail copy now from Amazon and apply the code later.
Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:24 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

OP Here, I managed to port all our quicken data and accounts into Moneydance vis QIF. Once one gets use to MD's quirks, it was all good. Just make sure you make backups of each stage of the conversion. I found doing the whole lot in one go was best, then going back to fix the discrepancies, comparing with quicken as I went.

Linked accounts were the hold up, but just adjusting the starting amount of an account seemed to fix the discrepancies.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:16 PM   #49

I just tried the initial import of my Quicken data. Some accounts were fine, others were not. The most confusing thing I have to figure out is the import created a number of "X" accounts that seem to be related to transfers. e.g. I have Fidelity IRA account, then a Fidelity IRA(X) account. I am trying to figure out why some transfers are in these "X" accounts and some are not. Deleting them throws the regular account totals off, and trying to duplicate the transactions back into the primary account throws the totals off. Will have to set aside some time to crawl through and figure it out .
Old 01-04-2021, 01:19 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I just tried the initial import of my Quicken data. Some accounts were fine, others were not. The most confusing thing I have to figure out is the import created a number of "X" accounts that seem to be related to transfers. e.g. I have Fidelity IRA account, then a Fidelity IRA(X) account. I am trying to figure out why some transfers are in these "X" accounts and some are not. Deleting them throws the regular account totals off, and trying to duplicate the transactions back into the primary account throws the totals off. Will have to set aside some time to crawl through and figure it out .
I just deleted the X Accounts, then compared the Real accounts with quicken and compensated by inputting an initial balance to offset the difference. Being as my history goes back to 2003, it is not really that important.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:05 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

One thing I have found about Moneydance that is way better than Quicken (US) is it supports foreign bank accounts and Credit cards. It actually downloads vis QFX from those accounts. Quicken US always forces us to get the appropriate version, in our case Canadian in order to do so. Otherwise all entries had to be entered manually, which is wat I USED to do. seems to be getting better and better.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:48 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been using Quicken 2010 (desktop CD) since, well, 2010. Online transaction updates stopped many years ago so I've been manually updating since then (takes me 5 min once a week). So, it goes without saying, I've not kept up with Quicken's pricing/distribution model for 10+ years. After following this thread, I have a couple of quiestions:

1) Does Quicken still offer the purchase of a standalone CD? Or is the program download-only nowadays?

2) Regarding annual renewal, what are you renewing exactly? The continued ability to download transactions from your institutions? If it's more than that, then what "robust" capabilities are you getting for the annual subscription?

I guess I'm just trying to comprehend why someone would pay $40-$50 a year for something that they, more than likely, could do manually in a matter of minutes. If I'm missing the big picture, please educate me
jimbohoward69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:21 AM   #53
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbohoward69 View Post
I've been using Quicken 2010 (desktop CD) since, well, 2010. Online transaction updates stopped many years ago so I've been manually updating since then (takes me 5 min once a week). So, it goes without saying, I've not kept up with Quicken's pricing/distribution model for 10+ years. After following this thread, I have a couple of quiestions:

1) Does Quicken still offer the purchase of a standalone CD? Or is the program download-only nowadays?
Yes, one can purchase a CD/DVD or download.

Quote:
2) Regarding annual renewal, what are you renewing exactly? The continued ability to download transactions from your institutions? If it's more than that, then what "robust" capabilities are you getting for the annual subscription?
For me, that's correct, it's to continue to use the aggregated account update tool. There may be other online features (that I don't use) that would cease to be available when the subscription expires. And, of course, the ability to use Quicken Support if/when needed.

Quote:
I guess I'm just trying to comprehend why someone would pay $40-$50 a year for something that they, more than likely, could do manually in a matter of minutes. If I'm missing the big picture, please educate me
For your use case, it may not make sense. I would spend considerably more time if manually updating all of our accounts, so I greatly value the online download capability.
EnricoPallazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:31 AM   #54

Quote:
I just checked, I have 30+ accounts that I update (banks, credit cards, brokers, retirement plans, 401K, etc). Would take me more than a few minutes to manually update. I simply start the update, walk over, get a cup of coffee and instantly have my updated view, accounts reconciled. Don't get me wrong, Quicken doesn't do everything for me, but it does download and aggregate the transactional level detail and summarizes nicely. It can also produce extracts that I can quickly put into Excel for my deeper analysis. When $40 a year breaks the bank then I guess I won't have much need for Quicken. Until then it's saving me lots of time and effort.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:31 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I just deleted the X Accounts, then compared the Real accounts with quicken and compensated by inputting an initial balance to offset the difference. Being as my history goes back to 2003, it is not really that important.
Thanks. I have thought about doing that, at the moment I am examining the "source" account to find out the reason the "X" account was created. I do a lot of historical reporting from the Quicken data, have you found if just inputting an initial balance to offset the difference throws things off for MoneyDance reporting?
Old 01-07-2021, 09:00 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... I guess I'm just trying to comprehend why someone would pay $40-$50 a year for something that they, more than likely, could do manually in a matter of minutes. If I'm missing the big picture, please educate me
Well, you are missing the big picture and you're misinformed on two counts, at least in my case. My most recent 12-month subscription was $31... not $40-50... now I'll admit that you have to shop around/keep on the lookout for sales in order to pay that much less than the rack rate but it is not hard at all.

I would take me a lot more than a "matter of minutes" to do manually what One-Step Update does for me. For me, One-Step Update updates 14 different accounts and stock quotes while I am free to do other things... of those 14 different accounts, only a few typically have more than 6 transactions a month... but a couple (our main credit card account and main checking account) have many transactions a month. I have a handful of accounts that only have 1-2 transactions a month that I update manually and even that takes me much more than a "matter of minutes".

So for me, $31/year... less than $2.60/month is well worth the price of having access to One-Step Update.... that $2.60/month is the big picture... how much is your time worth?

Old 01-07-2021, 12:52 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Thanks. I have thought about doing that, at the moment I am examining the "source" account to find out the reason the "X" account was created.
The 'X' account is a contra account. In the language of double entry bookkeeping it is the offset of the money as it is moved between categories. If you delete the X account it affects reporting. While it may show up in the Detail report the results are consolidated elsewhere, like in the Income/Expense report.

- Rita
Old 01-07-2021, 03:37 PM   #58

You know that Moneydance can update all of your accounts at once the same as Quicken?

I do this all the time without any issues.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:33 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

The response didn't have anything to do with MoneyDance... but rather with jimbohoward69 asking why many of us would spend money when in his mind to do it manually was a "matter of minutes".

Old 01-07-2021, 07:32 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

OP Here again for a MD Update. Today was the first download from accounts. I did it with Quicken that does not expire till May or June and MD. I wanted to keep tabs to make sure MD was keeping up.

So far so good, I still actually prefer the quicken UI and ease of clearing VS MD that involves too many clicks to do the same thing. But I think I can live with it. I have till May or June to get used to it.