Federal Civil Service Retirement

James5v

Recycles dryer sheets
It is interesting while I did not receive a cost of living increase this year (which I understand due to low inflation); however, no one told Blue Cross. They managed a nice increase in premiums which does hurt.

My fed retirement & my health insurance did not increase

My Blue Cross will increase effective 1 Jan from 400.97 to 431.60. I just received the notice.

Just took another look at the paper work I got today. It looks like my BC/BS will go up by $12.00 per month so my take home will go down by that amount as of 1 Feb 2011.

Yep. The government will tell you there is no inflation, at least using their official metric. I suspect that most of us who don't buy a lot of expensive discretionary stuff have had a different experience.

My BCBS Standard, Self Only FEHB cost went up from $175.09 to 187.18 per month, an increase of 6.9%.

Last year it went up 15.1%, and the year before it went up 12.9%, so I can't complain. Well, I could but it wouldn't do any good. :2funny:

At least I am not alone. If this keeps up over a few years though I will be hurting. Over a few years $30 a year will add up.

Last year it went up 15.1%, and the year before it went up 12.9%, so I can't complain. Well, I could but it wouldn't do any good. :2funny:
I don't know if complaining would raise or lower blood pressure...

My fed retirement & my health insurance did not increase

I'm a still-working federal employee, and of course we got or are getting the minimum 2 year pay freeze. My BCBS (standard option/family) premiums are increasing from $185 per 2 wk pay period to $199. For the first time in 25 or more years, I'm leaving BCBS and switching to a new United Health Care program called Compass Rose.

I'm a little nervous about this, because I've been with BCBS for so long and know their system pretty well, even if I don't like the premiums. However, my plan is to (you know how plans are) to re-direct the $115 savings of the cheaper insurance to retirement, ala Roth IRA.

I've been maxing my TSP for the last few years, but haven't always been able to scrape up enough to max the two Roths, so this should help some. That is...if the premium savings isn't eaten up by increases in out of pocket expenses for things not covered as fully as BCBS.

I don't think that's going to be an issue, but you never know...

I'm glad I'm a CSRS employee instead of FERS, because I don't think I'd be able to retire in 2 yrs with FERS. I wouldn't be prepared...

At least I am not alone. If this keeps up over a few years though I will be hurting. Over a few years $30 a year will add up.

Wait...those were annual premiums you quoted? Just asking because I don't know too much about the Federal Retirement Health Plan. We recently switched over to wife's plan so I can be covered in retirement. Her plan is considerably higher than my Megacorp plan was, but there are pros and cons between the two. We switched because retiree healthcare at Megacorp went bye-bye.

My Blue Cross will increase effective 1 Jan from 400.97 to 431.60. I just received the notice.

My BC/BS just went up by about $30/month. I'm not happy about it either, particularly in light of the supposedly "flat" CPI for 2 years running now. Oh, and my electric utility company was just granted approval for a 17.8% rate increase, believe it or not. But hey, there's no inflation, right??...........:(

Those rates quoted by James5v are more likely the montly rates paid by a federal retiree. While still working, fed employees' health ins premiums are deducted before tax, and are deducted from pay every 2 weeks. Once retired, the premiums are deducted AFTER taxes, and are collected just once a month from the retiree's monthly pension. If the employee were still working, the BCBS premium (standard option) for 2011 would be $199+change per 2 weeks, for 26 pay periods. Once retired, instead of being collected 26 times a year, they're paid 12 times, which would probably add up to the amount James5v quoted. Bottom line is that it was a monthly premium that was being talked about.

I checked the 2011 FEHB rate charts at
http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/rates/nonpostalhmo2011.pdf

I will [-]suffer[/-] experience a monthly increase of $24 on a NY based HMO, High Self Only plan. No complaints.

I was contemplating switching over to BC/BS but decided to wait until my "Exodus from East Nowhere" plan firmed up more. I will stay with my regional HMO for now and [-]wing it[/-] time my annual checkups to occur after the next open season, assuming we actually move next year. TBD.

In my post above about my health insurance premiums getting cheaper due to changing plans this open season, the $115 I said I was saving by switching to a cheaper plan is a monthly amount. Just wanted to clear that up. It's $57+ less per two week pay period than BCBS. I'll be redirecting that amount into our Roth IRAs.

I'm going to stick with my BCBS again this year, but definetely will take advantage of the free preventative health services. I haven't had an annual physical in 5 years. I'm 31 so I must think I'm indestructable.

Back
Top Bottom