Federal Employee Phased Retirement Regulations

timo2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
At one point I was going to consider this, but the rules took over two years to come out, and I'm not that interested anymore. I mostly was interested in cutting down the number of days that I perform my 3 hr round trip commute, but with the advent of telework, I only do the commute two or three days a week anymore.

OPM issues phased retirement regulations -- FederalSoup.com

I retired from the fed a little over a month ago. I probably wouldn't have done the phased retirement, even if they had gotten it up & running sooner. I figured if I was gonna work at all, I wanted to work full-time so I would get the full 2% for how ever many extra years I worked. I'm CSRS. Turns out, I worked 1 1/2 yrs past my earliest retirement date and then called it quits. 37 yrs, 4 months. Done & done.

I'm near retirement eligibility (59) and am waiting anxiously to see if my agency implements phased retirement. Am burnt out w#rking full-time but semi-retirement for 2 years would be ideal and allow me time to fix up my house to sell and to avoid retiring in a potential, upcoming market downturn. And another 2 years of TSP contributions would increase my comfort level. Financially, phased retirement is not a great deal for the employee as I will not get the FERS supplement (social security supplement) and will forego 1/2 my pension for 2 years. But for someone interested in OMY, it means an extra $20 an hour while w#rking half-time. :)

Back
Top Bottom