Federal Income Tax Refund

freedomatlast

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I sent in by snail mail, my Federal Income Tax Return the last week of February. Recently, I've been checking the IRS "Where's my Refund" site periodically. It's been telling me that my return has been received but the refund check has not yet been approved or sent. I understand that things may take a little longer with everything that's going on but this seems excessive. Anybody else receive their refund from the IRS by check yet?

Maybe this info will be of some help: https://www.taxslayer.com/blog/predicted-2020-income-tax-refund-dates/

If this year is anything like last year processing priorities, the IRS didn't even start processing returns until late February if the return involved, Additional Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit, or Educational Credits.

You picked the slowest way to get your refund. From the above info, expect to wait two months for your refund.

I was sort of hoping they might be quicker with fewer folks filing. Awaiting my refund too, but I am a few weeks out no doubt.

I requested EFT, but filed by mail.

I never expect the government to be quick!

Mailed mine around February 24th & received the check a couple weeks ago.
Also added another member to my ignore list :)

Well, now you have me nervous. I snail-mailed mine in early March- I left on a trip 3/10 so it was before that. IRS site can't find it and gives me the generic statement that it might be about 6 weeks after receipt, "longer in certain circumstances". I'm sure the stimulus checks will lengthen that and I'm not getting one.:mad:

I did not think this through very well; not used to having a refund coming back. Having seen how you get punished for snail mail, I'll e-file in the future; I've been wary of it because so many people seem to run into problems with it. Even if I'd just told them to credit the refund to my 2020 liability I could have saved myself having to send in some estimated tax payments (already sent in one even though they extended the deadline). Lesson learned.

Are any of the processing centers even open? I seem to recall seeing something a week ago about the last one (Utah) closing due to CV. I would be surprised if any paper returns are moving right now.

I never take refunds, just apply to next year estimated.

Reviving this thread about waiting for my refund.

I e-filed on 4/14/20 - expected my refund to show up quickly.

6 weeks later the IRS website still tells me the refund is being processed.

Who else is still waiting for a Direct Deposit Refund from a TurboTax E-Filed return?

I don't think any paper returns have been processed in weeks. The centers closed down entirely and most of the returns are sitting in containers at the processing centers. If they have started processing, it is only recently and I'd expect the backlog + new returns filed for this year to take months, not weeks to clear.

Who else is still waiting for a Direct Deposit Refund from a TurboTax E-Filed return?
Guess we should have purchased a lottery ticket instead of e-filing on April 30: received direct deposit refund from the IRS on May 13.

Thanks for the reminder why I go to great lengths to be sure I owe taxes rather than relying on a refund.

Reviving this thread about waiting for my refund.

I e-filed on 4/14/20 - expected my refund to show up quickly.

6 weeks later the IRS website still tells me the refund is being processed.

Same here except I filed on 4/10.

Tried to get some information any other way and even tried to talk to someone personally to no avail. Guess I just have to keep waiting as I know nothing else to do.

Well they sure had no problem taking the $2000 I owed on 4/13 as scheduled in my efile done before the dates all changed.

Got my refund today. Included interest. At the rate they pay interest, they could have kept it longer :)

Got my refund today. Included interest. At the rate they pay interest, they could have kept it longer :)

And to add insult to injury, they will send you a 1099-INT so you can pay tax on the interest they paid.

E-filed on April 29th through Turbo Tax. No refund yet. I had an AOTC on my return, so I think it will be awhile. I'm pretty sure they are still working with a skeleton crew.

Back
Top Bottom