Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Federal taxes, and moving them around a bit
Old 12-15-2022, 04:07 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Federal taxes, and moving them around a bit

So, I'm sure this has probably always been obvious to everyone else who does their own taxes, but ok, I'm slow. I was checking next year's tax brackets, and the site I checked phrased it a little differently.

Instead of the usual "22% - $xxx - $xxx" they put it as:
$44,726 to $95,375 $5,147 plus 22% of amount over $44,725
$95,376 to $182,100 $16,290 plus 24% of amount over $95,375
which actually made me stop to consider the base amount I'm paying here.

So, if I take extra money out this year (to spend next year) and pay the taxes on it now, I'll stay in the lower tax bracket in 2023 and save $11,143 on the base amount of my taxes next year. Costs me 24% tax this year on that extra withdrawal but it would if I took it out next year anyway.

What if I leapfrogged years? Take extra out every other year and stayed in the lower tax bracket every other year, and use the ROTH for emergency spending/unexpected expenses. Would this work?

It's just the Federal I'm concerned about; I don't find my state taxes to be all that onerous.
KimmK451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2022, 04:18 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't think it works. An example... a single person needs $200k to live on over the next 3 years and has more than that in a tIRA.

Draws $50k/$100k/$50k and federal tax is $4,240, $14,768, $4,240 for total of $23,348.

Draws $66.67k annually for 3 years and federal tax is $7,435 a year or $22,308 for the 3 years.

https://www.irscalculators.com/tax-calculator

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 04:34 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Good example! Thanks. It just irks me that I lose so much of my retirement funds to taxes.
Old 12-15-2022, 04:52 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

That's the "deferred" part in "tax deferred". You have to pay taxes on them sometime.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 06:07 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmK451 View Post
Good example! Thanks. It just irks me that I lose so much of my retirement funds to taxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
That's the "deferred" part in "tax deferred". You have to pay taxes on them sometime.
Yep. That's the way it works. I don't LIKE paying taxes, but since I avoided a 22%-27% tax when I contributed I really can't complain.
Old 12-15-2022, 06:27 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

One should consider one's self very well off compared to those who pay no taxes.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 06:28 PM   #7

Well, you escaped paying taxes on the tax-deferred contributions, as well as all gains. You can play the game better by having a mix of taxable and tax-deferred accounts, and if you're MFJ, can skip paying taxes on the first $25.9K [standard deduction for a couple], and up to the first $83K in LTCGs. Then roll in the tax-deferred sales. In the years before I hid RMD age, I'm planning to sell tax-deferred up to the MFJ standard deduction, then LTCGs in taxable accounts up to the $83K limit, and finally topping off with additional tax-deferred as needed.

At some point, I'll run out of tax-deferred, and will be stuck paying a lot of taxes on tax-deferred contributions, and eventually, 85% of the SS benefits. My spending plan has me paying about $9K in mostly State of Hawaii taxes for the first few years, with virtually no Federal taxes, then paying about $20K annually in state and federal.
Old 12-15-2022, 06:46 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Don't get me started. Your retirement fund is money that you earned and have NEVER paid tax on... what makes you think you should get a free pass now? It's silly to even think that.

When you saved that money you did it thinking that you would be in a lower tax bracket in retirement and save on taxes. So if you avoided paying 28% back then and instead are paying 12% or even 22% now, what the heck are you complaining for? It turned out just like you planned and you are saving on taxes just as you planned. Most retirees are in this category.

Now if on the other hand you are paying more in taxes than you saved in taxes when you deferred that income it means that you have been much more financially successful than you expected to be, so count your blessings and stop complaining.

Old 12-16-2022, 07:39 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI Bill View Post
Well, you escaped paying taxes on the tax-deferred contributions, as well as all gains. You can play the game better by having a mix of taxable and tax-deferred accounts, and if you're MFJ, can skip paying taxes on the first $25.9K [standard deduction for a couple], and up to the first $83K in LTCGs. Then roll in the tax-deferred sales. In the years before I hid RMD age, I'm planning to sell tax-deferred up to the MFJ standard deduction, then LTCGs in taxable accounts up to the $83K limit, and finally topping off with additional tax-deferred as needed.

At some point, I'll run out of tax-deferred, and will be stuck paying a lot of taxes on tax-deferred contributions, and eventually, 85% of the SS benefits. My spending plan has me paying about $9K in mostly State of Hawaii taxes for the first few years, with virtually no Federal taxes, then paying about $20K annually in state and federal.
Interesting. Do you have a pension?
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 07:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
One should consider one's self very well off compared to those who pay no taxes.
Yep, I'm always amused by the people complaining about having to pay IRMAA.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 08:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Don't get me started. Your retirement fund is money that you earned and have NEVER paid tax on... what makes you think you should get a free pass now? It's silly to even think that.

When you saved that money you did it thinking that you would be in a lower tax bracket in retirement and save on taxes. So if you avoided paying 28% back then and instead are paying 12% or even 22% now, what the heck are you complaining for? It turned out just like you planned and you are saving on taxes just as you planned. Most retirees are in this category.

Now if on the other hand you are paying more in taxes than you saved in taxes when you deferred that income it means that you have been much more financially successful than you expected to be, so count your blessings and stop complaining.
KimmK451, pb4usk is a seasoned accountant with many years of experience. He's put me in my place more than once. I see you're a newer poster. I always look for pb4usk advice even if it stings a little.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 08:45 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
So, I'm sure this has probably always been obvious to everyone else who does their own taxes, but ok, I'm slow. I was checking next year's tax brackets, and the site I checked phrased it a little differently.

Instead of the usual "22% - $xxx - $xxx" they put it as:
$44,726 to $95,375 $5,147 plus 22% of amount over $44,725
$95,376 to $182,100 $16,290 plus 24% of amount over $95,375
which actually made me stop to consider the base amount I'm paying here.

So, if I take extra money out this year (to spend next year) and pay the taxes on it now, I'll stay in the lower tax bracket in 2023 and save $11,143 on the base amount of my taxes next year. Costs me 24% tax this year on that extra withdrawal but it would if I took it out next year anyway.

What if I leapfrogged years? Take extra out every other year and stayed in the lower tax bracket every other year, and use the ROTH for emergency spending/unexpected expenses. Would this work?

It's just the Federal I'm concerned about; I don't find my state taxes to be all that onerous.
The only time I can think of that yo-yoing up and down on income could be helpful is for ACA premium credits or other income based subsidy, where you could get the government to subsidize you in low income years. Otherwise, the nature of the tax code is high incomes pay higher rates. That means that the best you can do is keep income level over your lifetime.
Exchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 08:59 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
My boss, who was raking in profits of millions each year, complained about the taxes she paid. I had a pretty close relationship with her at the time, and repeatedly told her, "it is unseemly for a person with so much wealth to complain about taxes." What bothers me more are those who do not understand that taxes support public education, libraries, roads, bridges, and lots of other public goods that we would not enjoy (especially in rural areas) if all was left to the private sector. I'm proud to do my part and grateful for the help I've had to get where I've gotten. That said, there's no need to pay more in taxes than you are obligated to pay.
Old 12-16-2022, 06:03 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
KimmK451, pb4usk is a seasoned accountant with many years of experience. He's put me in my place more than once. I see you're a newer poster. I always look for pb4usk advice even if it stings a little.

Thanks Rianne! Yes, I know I have a high income. Problem is that I live in a very HCOL location and may have to move to find one that will make my $ last, especially considering any long term care will have to be paid for since I don't have family. My bad for not having kids & spouse(s) so I'd have the deductions! lol
Old 12-16-2022, 07:24 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Fair point.. I was a bit stern to a new poster... I'm sorry.

Old 12-16-2022, 07:36 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1955 View Post
My boss, who was raking in profits of millions each year, complained about the taxes she paid. I had a pretty close relationship with her at the time, and repeatedly told her, "it is unseemly for a person with so much wealth to complain about taxes." What bothers me more are those who do not understand that taxes support public education, libraries, roads, bridges, and lots of other public goods that we would not enjoy (especially in rural areas) if all was left to the private sector. I'm proud to do my part and grateful for the help I've had to get where I've gotten. That said, there's no need to pay more in taxes than you are obligated to pay.
+1 I think taxes are pretty reasonable.

Take a hypothetical married couple over 65 with $60k of SS and $80k of tIRA withdrawals (4% WR on $2m all tax-deferred).. they have $140k of income and pay $13,740 in federal income tax (9.81%).

Make that a single with $40k of SS and $40k of tIRA withdrawals (4% WR on $1m all tax-deferred)... on $80k of income the tax is $7,035 (8.79%)

Old 12-17-2022, 08:36 AM   #17

Whenever I want to complain about taxes I consider my grandparents, born prior to WWI, who paid 20% federal taxes from the first dollar they earned over more than half their working career until JFK's tax cut (20% in 1963 -> 14% in 1965)

And no federal 'zero tax' bracket until the early 1970s.

Plus another 6-7% via a progressive state income tax (currently 5% flat, dropping to 4% by 2027)
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 08:53 AM   #18

Maybe look at it as a loan (tax-deferred accounts) , but with all the interest permanently forgiven.

-gauss
Happiness is often based in how things are framed.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 08:55 AM   #19
Administrator

Being a lawyer, I'll go with this one:

"Taxes are what we pay for civilized society"

Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr., dissenting in Compania General de Tabacos v. Collector, 275 U.S. 87, 100 (1927)
Old 12-17-2022, 09:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Being a lawyer, I'll go with this one:

"Taxes are what we pay for civilized society"
I'm hoping we get what we paid for!
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote