Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-15-2021, 04:41 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Do Car Dealers still make their cut if you pay off the car Loan immediately,
ragabnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2021, 05:02 PM   #62
Dryer sheet aficionado

The dealers make money doing auto loans. That's why they don't want you to pay in cash. But you can get your best deal with a loan, and then pay off the loan as soon as you want to. You can also refinance the loan, if you find a better rate at a bank or credit union. There is usually no charge to refinance an auto loan.
Earlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:20 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlygirl View Post
The dealers make money doing auto loans. That's why they don't want you to pay in cash. But you can get your best deal with a loan, and then pay off the loan as soon as you want to. You can also refinance the loan, if you find a better rate at a bank or credit union. There is usually no charge to refinance an auto loan.
Yes, I am aware of that, but if you buy and finance the car, then pay off the loan immediately then the financing company still pays the dealer their cut or not.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:28 PM   #64
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragabnh View Post
Yes, I am aware of that, but if you buy and finance the car, then pay off the loan immediately then the financing company still pays the dealer their cut or not.

I used to do auto loans. When people were getting a manufacturer rebate, along with their loan, we would tell them to wait six months, just to be safe. I'm not certain if that applies when you are getting the loan only. It seems like it would be best to at least wait a couple of months. I doubt it would matter after that.
Earlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:33 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought a used car from a dealer 6 months ago, then I paid off the loan within a week, I received my title 4 months later, I was just wondering if the dealer made any money on the financing since I paid the loan within a few days and before first payment was due.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:34 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlygirl View Post
I used to do auto loans. When people were getting a manufacturer rebate, along with their loan, we would tell them to wait six months, just to be safe. I'm not certain if that applies when you are getting the loan only. It seems like it would be best to at least wait a couple of months. I doubt it would matter after that.
I always thought that the reason the dealer asks you to wait was because if the loan pays off right away then the lender can claw-back part of the origination fee that the lender paid to the dealer.

If that was true, in the case of the dealer that insists on an extra $1,500 for cash, I'd be tempted to say okay I'll take the financing and then pay it off the very next day.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:02 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

IIRC from online posts people say their dealers requested they make 2 or 3 monthly payments before paying off the loan..

I guess that's long enough for the dealer to be able to keep their commission.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:07 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Yeah... so if I really object to a dealer insisting on a $1,500 fee if I pay cash I can screw with them by agreeing to financing but paying it off right away so they lose their commission, right?

Old 06-16-2021, 05:12 AM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
IIRC from online posts people say their dealers requested they make 2 or 3 monthly payments before paying off the loan..

I guess that's long enough for the dealer to be able to keep their commission.
Yes, that was what it was in our case. The dealer asked us if we would wait three months to pay it off so they could keep their full commission. At a 0.99% interest rate, we agreed.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:06 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
Yes, that was what it was in our case. The dealer asked us if we would wait three months to pay it off so they could keep their full commission. At a 0.99% interest rate, we agreed.
My understanding of loan amortization is that the first 3 monthly payments of a loan are predominantly interest and very little principal. Regardless of the interest rate. So, are you simply adding to the purchase price of the vehicle?
Mykle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:29 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykle57 View Post
My understanding of loan amortization is that the first 3 monthly payments of a loan are predominantly interest and very little principal. Regardless of the interest rate. So, are you simply adding to the purchase price of the vehicle?

No, a fully amortized auto loan does not include front loaded interest. Try any loan calculator. Borrow $35k @3% for 5 yrs the payment is approx $628/mo and the 1st month interest is ~$88. Back in the day they used “sum of the digits” or some other scheme that amounted to a prepayment schedule.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:38 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Fee for cash buyers? These topics always make me wonder what exactly is cash?
A duffle bag full of currency?
A personal check for the purchase price?
A cashiers check from a bank/credit union?

In our market dealers have generally been keen on credit union financing. I don’t see how the bank/credit union check would not be considered cash. Navy Federal sends a voucher for the maximum your are approved for and you fill in the actual amount. Usually 100% PLUS DMV fees which much higher LTV than a house but it’s
a depreciating asset.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:24 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by racy View Post
I take their financing option then immediately pay it off (after confirming that's an option without penalties).
We did the same on our last two cars. In each case the financing deal was fair, but their interest rate was marginally above what I could earn with the money in a CD, so I paid it all off almost immediately.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:55 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Try searching news for "Wait to buy a car".

Here's the first link that came up for me: https://lifehacker.com/why-its-a-ter...you-1846985137

And there is this on YouTube: Here's Why Now is the WORST TIME in HISTORY to Buy a Car

I subscribe to this youtube channel. father and son team. he has been in the business for 40 years. very educational and entertaining. used the info on their website to help price and negotiate my latest purchase of 2021 honda accord hybrid.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:53 PM   #75

Re the scarcity of new cars, here's a data point of one. Driving past the local GMC/Cadillac/Buick dealer today I was struck at the emptiness of the lot. I've never once seen it like that and have lived here for 19 years. I'd bet they didn't have a dozen new vehicles on the entire lot. Normally it's more like fifty.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:51 PM   #76
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DH and I will be replacing our SUV with a 2022 and have started looking at features of the 2021s and what's in store for 2022 if changes are known.

Dearth of new cars at the 2 dealerships we have visited. Actually, our current cars were in for service, so we just happened to be there and looked. Have been looking at the MSRP stickers of the SUVs we're interested in and got a surprise today...a $4,995 MARKUP at the 2nd dealership. Off to the right of the sheet, the MSRP price was listed, then the markup added. Cost of vehicle went from $53K to $58K . I'm pretty sure they'll also add a 'cash' fee .
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:50 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

I hope not to find myself in need of a car any time soon. I hate dealing with dealerships and it looks like they have the upper hand in the "supply and demand" situation right now.

BUT, I have found one negotiation tactic that has never failed me. Upon the very first "surprise" (like when the salesman supposedly goes to talk to the sales manager and comes back with practically no discount) I push my chair back, stand, extend my hand (well, pre-Covid) and tell the salesman "Thanks, if you change your mind, you have my phone number." I've never gotten further than the front door without getting my price. That $1500 for a cash deal - they'd have to chase me all the way to my car to give me my price but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:35 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I hope not to find myself in need of a car any time soon. I hate dealing with dealerships and it looks like they have the upper hand in the "supply and demand" situation right now.

BUT, I have found one negotiation tactic that has never failed me. Upon the very first "surprise" (like when the salesman supposedly goes to talk to the sales manager and comes back with practically no discount) I push my chair back, stand, extend my hand (well, pre-Covid) and tell the salesman "Thanks, if you change your mind, you have my phone number." I've never gotten further than the front door without getting my price. That $1500 for a cash deal - they'd have to chase me all the way to my car to give me my price but YMMV.
I had a successful fail using a variation on that technique. In about 1992 I wanted to buy a minivan and negotiated the guy to a price I was willing to pay. He took it to the manager and came back higher. I told him to go back to the manager and get me my price within 5 minutes or I was walking and would not come all the way back out to the dealership if they changed their mind later. Five minutes later I walked as the two of them watched me from a glass office one floor up. About two hours later the salesman called me to say they agreed with my price. I blew him off and went for a Jeep instead of the minivan. Been driving SUVs ever since.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:25 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

One negotiating ploy that I have used a few of times where we were at an impasse is to write a check to the dealer for my maximum acceptable out-the-door price and not sign it... give it to the salesman and tell him/her that if they want to do a deal for that amount for that vehicle then I am in, but otherwise I'm done and then I walk away.

It has worked 2 out of the three times I have tried it. One time I got the check back from the dealer in the mail a couple days later.

Old 06-19-2021, 12:20 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

My last truck was a 2018 model bought new in 2017 so no deal from dealer. I opted to go the costco no haggle rout and was very pleased. Did still get into a fuss on my trade in and had to go to a second dealer but all worked out...plus got a costco gift card