Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Feedback for my portfolio-Wells Fargo Intuitive Investor and ITOT
Old 01-11-2021, 01:15 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Feedback for my portfolio-Wells Fargo Intuitive Investor and ITOT

Hello,
Glad to be here as a first time poster. I have enjoyed what I have seen from posters and the information has been valuable. I am considering the following portfolio as separate stand alone investment. $60K cash, $100K ITOT, $255K in Wells Fargo Intuitive Investor Robo Advisor that currently has a 34% allocation to equites with the rest in well allocated bonds and 3% cash. This results in about 46% equity allocation for the entire portfolio. In 2-3 years I will take out 3% annually adjusted for inflation when needed. I would rebalance when the allocation gets to about 50-55% withdrawing from ITOT and depositing into the taxable robe advisor. ITOT would be in a Traditional IRA and the rest is taxable. In my opinion this is like a 2 fund simple portfolio making everything easy. So everyone...what say you? Thanks!
Mr. 356 S90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2021, 01:54 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What funds does the robo use for equities?
Old 01-11-2021, 02:41 PM   #3

Itot- 16%
vxf - 12%
gslc - 6%
pvy- 5%
gem - 4%
vv - 1%
Old 01-11-2021, 02:45 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I have Wells Fargo for my checking account because they have good computers and bill pay.

Otherwise, they're villains of the banking world in my eyes. Especially in their investment division.

Do the big budget investment firms have products that would suit your financial needs? They usually have something for everyone.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:49 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Why go with the Wells Fargo robo advisor? A robo advisor's claim to fame is tax loss harvesting. With ~65% in bonds and cash, not a lot of chance to tax loss harvest. Then their is the universal problem of robo advisors where once new money stops coming into the account, tax loss harvesting opportunities get less and less. Then of course there is that 0.35% fee on all managed assets from the robo advisor, even on the cash.

Personally I'd ditch the robo advisor and just manage the money yourself in a 2 or three fund index portfolio. No need to make things overly complicated.
Aggie1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:51 PM   #6

We also bank at Wells for the checking and bill pay at a brick and mortar. Have been with them for 15 years with no issues. And DW prefers a brick and mortar. The Robo has been great so far. Regardless of who we use for the robo, my question is more generic in nature, having approx. 35% in a robo and ITOT in the IRA.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:58 PM   #7

Hi Aggie 1999, good point. The cash is only 4% and luckily we pay the lower .30bps instead of the .35 because of the balance amount. Yes i guess we could pay a little less somewhere else or buying individual etc"s but we are liking the convenience so are ok paying for it.

Bamaman, Yes, there are other robo's and I could certainly check them out.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:39 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 356 S90 View Post
Itot- 16%
vxf - 12%
gslc - 6%
pvy- 5%
gem - 4%
vv - 1%
Well, that isn't too crazy. Probably they are scratching Goldman Sachs' back where G-S is scratching Wells' back on some other deals. The expense ratios are not outrageous, though using emerging markets as the international holding is a little odd. Essentially that is a bet on China. VV at 1%/3% of equities is silly. Too small to matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 356 S90 View Post
... In my opinion this is like a 2 fund simple portfolio making everything easy. So everyone...what say you? Thanks!
Well, if a 2 fund portfolio is the goal (not a bad idea BTW) why not just do a 2 fund portfolio? You have proposed a complicated alternative where complexity doesn't appear to be buying you anything. (Simplicity is nice; 95% of our equity investment is in one fund, VTWAX.)

My standard book recommendations:

"The Coffee House Investor" by Bill Schultheis https://www.coffeehouseinvestor.com/

"The Bogleheads Guide to Investing" by Taylor Larimore et al https://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Gu.../dp/0470067365

Also look here: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

Edit: "356 S90" ? Porsche 356 Super 90? My second sports car, following a 3-carb Austin Healey 3000, was a 356B Normal.