Join Early Retirement Today

Felix Zulauf: Marching Full Speed into Calamity
Old 07-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Felix Zulauf: Marching Full Speed into Calamity

A sobbering discussion very much worth your time. Zulauf is a regular on Barron's Round Table participant. Bottom line: inflationary depression, in which no one will escape unscathed.

WARNING: Not for the faint of heart.

http://mcalvanyweeklycommentary.com/07-06/

ZULAUF ASSET MANAGEMENT AG was founded in 1990 and is fully owned by Felix W. Zulauf as an independent investment manager seeking absolute return. The firm manages a global fund seeking absolute return in a conservative way and invests worldwide in liquid assets only.
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Would "the sky is falling" be a fair summary?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Did you listen to it?

To suggest it is the “sky is falling” is to suggest it is fear mongering and not a well reasoned critique of the current global state of affairs. Moreover, he highlights potential “winners” in a losing environment.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for posting this little gem. Highly educational.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
Did you listen to it?

To suggest it is the “sky is falling” is to suggest it is fear mongering and not a well reasoned critique of the current global state of affairs. Moreover, he highlights potential “winners” in a losing environment.
OK, I listened to it. I heard a lot about traps and that a bad economy for several years to come (it wasn't plain to me how many) followed by a really bad economy, was pretty much inevitable, but even if Mr Zulauf's predictions are 100% correct, what then? What steps is one supposed to take in response to this?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:40 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
A sobbering discussion very much worth your time. Zulauf is a regular on Barron's Round Table participant. Bottom line: inflationary depression, in which no one will escape unscathed.

WARNING: Not for the faint of heart.

http://mcalvanyweeklycommentary.com/07-06/

ZULAUF ASSET MANAGEMENT AG was founded in 1990 and is fully owned by Felix W. Zulauf as an independent investment manager seeking absolute return. The firm manages a global fund seeking absolute return in a conservative way and invests worldwide in liquid assets only.
I found the interview to less sobering and more inebriating - that is, it made me what to go have a drink.

Quote:
More like the Peter Venkman "Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria! "
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
OK, I listened to it. I heard a lot about traps and that a bad economy for several years to come (it wasn't plain to me how many) followed by a really bad economy, was pretty much inevitable, but even if Mr Zulauf's predictions are 100% correct, what then? What steps is one supposed to take in response to this?
Buy MREs and lots of ammunition. Head out into the mountains or backwoods and build a defensible position. Hold out until you die.

There are regular versions of how our world ends. One day it will but there must be something in the human psyche that just drives our fascination with the subject. Clearly, there isn't much we can do about it.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #8

Quote:
What steps is one supposed to take in response to this?
What I took away is a) being nimble with equities over the next few years will be important (more of a trading than a holding market) and b) assets/currencies of Singapore and Norway, and to a lesser extent Switzerland, could provide relative protection against monetary inflation and c) gold.

Personally I am not willing to bet the farm on his views. I suspect he is more negative than what will occur. However, I am not dismissive of his concerns by any means.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
There are regular versions of how our world ends. One day it will but there must be something in the human psyche that just drives our fascination with the subject. Clearly, there isn't much we can do about it.
It is your statement that what he is describing is the end of the world. What he fortells (rightly or wrongly) is more or less garden variety market and currency problems that have happened in the US to this degree or greater at least twice in the 20th century, and mas o menos in 2008-2009.

If one were convinced of this, there is plenty he could do, just by changing allocations, market positions and exposures, etc.

Ha
Old 07-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #10

Quote:
You are supposed to invest with Mr Zulauf's investment firm in Switzerland .

DD
Old 07-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I found the interview to less sobering and more inebriating - that is, it made me what to go have a drink.

More like the Peter Venkman "Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria! "
Zulauf makes me want to take a Zoloft.
talltrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting reactions. I don't think that Mr. Zulauf's views are extreme at all. He is just a conservative Swiss banker who sees a lot of risks out there. Like most Swiss bankers, his number one concern is capital preservation (people don't put their money in Swiss banks to grow it, but to protect it), so he has to focus on risks. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I happen to agree with most of what he said.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It is your statement that what he is describing is the end of the world. What he fortells (rightly or wrongly) is more or less garden variety market and currency problems that have happened in the US to this degree or greater at least twice in the 20th century, and mas o menos in 2008-2009.

If one were convinced of this, there is plenty he could do, just by changing allocations, market positions and exposures, etc.

Ha
He goes beyond that. In addition to a collapse in the equity market, loss of value for treasuries, and loss of value of the currency, he is also forecasting he same for Europe, along with failure of the monetary union. He is predicting an economic collapse of the developed world.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #14

Quote:
He goes beyond that. In addition to a collapse in the equity market, loss of value for treasuries, and loss of value of the currency, he is also forecasting he same for Europe, along with failure of the monetary union. He is predicting an economic collapse of the developed world.
Given that, gold would be worthless unless you physically owned it. Wouldn't land be the place to put money? (Along with a tall fence and some shotgun shells and seed. )
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #15

One of my favorite quotes is by Patrick Henry. I find it sound advice and when I hear something I don't like, or agree with, his words force me to consider the possiblities. I think it applies to many aspects in life, including investment philosophy. Comments on this thread put me in mind of it:

"It is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it."

March, 1775
Old 07-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Even if all the things you mention come to pass, to me that does not equate to the collapse of the developed world. Now WW2, that was a (temporary) collapse of the developed world.

Ha
Old 07-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
Interesting reactions. I don't think that Mr. Zulauf's views are extreme at all. He is just a conservative Swiss banker who sees a lot of risks out there. Like most Swiss bankers, his number one concern is capital preservation (people don't put their money in Swiss banks to grow it, but to protect it), so he has to focus on risks. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I happen to agree with most of what he said.
I tend to agree with this - if capital preservation means preserving the real value of your capital. It's consistent with the views of a lot of the European private bankers that I speak with (not just the Swiss). Currency debasement leading to inflation is a recurring theme driving their investment strategies.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I tend to agree with him regarding the inevitability of some bad years until the financial situation stabilizes at a reasonable level. I'm not sure of the timing, but his guess sounds pretty well thought out. I particularly liked this analogy:

Quote:
I say that we are moving into a thunderstorm here, and it will rain and pour. There will be lightning. There will be flooding. There will be mudslides. Everybody will get wet. But the most important thing is, not to stand where the lightning strikes, not to be where the flooding is, or the mudslides. That is how I describe it. It is very difficult to come out as a winner, and actually, if one is smart enough to figure out what exactly to do, and comes out as a winner, I am pretty sure that governments will tax his profits away quite dramatically.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #19

Believe it or not, DW & I already own a chunk of farm land that's hard to get to. No roads, just a trail (called a road allowance here). I also own a couple of (unregistered in Canada) firearms.

Am I ready for what's comin'?
Old 07-13-2011, 07:19 AM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Even if all the things you mention come to pass, to me that does not equate to the collapse of the developed world. Now WW2, that was a (temporary) collapse of the developed world.

Ha
Well, that's economic collapse. Not as severe as a war, much more severe than the '08 crisis, and I believe Mr. Zulauf overdoes it. But he is trying to make a point which is valid, that developed countries need to get their (our) sh!t together and start showing greater financial responsibility.