FI forums for Simple People

I scan the forums here and the Reddit forums, too, most days. The Reddit forums have a lot more info on optimizing expenses, which was my interest once we retired. We wanted to figure out how to live well while trying to stay under the ACA taxable income limits in a high cost of living area.

On many of the frugal threads here there's usually about 20 - 30% of the posts from the same posters who seem to feel the need to rain on other's parades, and always chime in with the I'm so glad I don't need to penny pinch type of posts. On the Reddit forums those posts get down voted so the negativity vibes are less of an issue.

Last edited:
Gumby, just amazing how far we all have come. Life could have gone south pretty easy for any of us.

So true, it did for me, at age 40 I became homeless, better off than some homeless as I had an old car, and the clothes on my back, plus a job meant for students.
Had to visit the food bank a couple of times. Shopped at Sally Ann. Couch surfed (which is not as fun as the name sounds).

I'm not as "Rich" as some friends that worked the same type of jobs all their lives, but I've got enough, and life has turned out pretty well for which I'm very thankful. :flowers:

There is definitely inflation creep on tips, at least in California and Nevada, where we spend most of our time. We now tip a minimum of 20% at restaurants and service type places like hairdressers. Some restaurants have tip calculation suggestions at the bottom of the bill, with 18%, 20% and 25% amounts.

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions on tipping. I was wondering if I should have started it as a separate thread, and now I think I should have. The appearance of payment options, such as Square, which give the option for tipping, at businesses that previously weren't associated with the practice, adds to the opportunities for discussion.

Anyway, back to your regular programming, and thank you.

If they really are that intelligent, then maybe their advice is worth something :flowers:

I used to work with a few of what were supposedly some of the smartest people in the country. They were down-to-earth, not hard to talk to at all.

Absolutely. The folk who use their intelligence and knowledge to help others, and not to grandstand, are the best.

OP wants to see how people with little means achieve FI. OP should continue to hang out here. While it may appear that most of us are loaded, the fact is that most of us started out with little $.

There is plenty to learn here about achieving FI from limited means.

This.

And for me, the financial success was backend loaded. The old hockey stick analogy. Flattish for a long time with a shot upwards toward the end.

There was a divorce in my 30’s. Starting a business and drawing little from it early on.

I remember I got a $1500 bonus at work and it seemed like we won the lottery. I remember we used it to put pavers on our back patio and we were so excited to have a hard surface instead of dirt.

The millions eventually came, but we were happy along the journey too.

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions on tipping. I was wondering if I should have started it as a separate thread, and now I think I should have. The appearance of payment options, such as Square, which give the option for tipping, at businesses that previously weren't associated with the practice, adds to the opportunities for discussion.

Anyway, back to your regular programming, and thank you.

I don't think it matters as the OP is long gone..

There is definitely inflation creep on tips, at least in California and Nevada, where we spend most of our time. We now tip a minimum of 20% at restaurants and service type places like hairdressers. Some restaurants have tip calculation suggestions at the bottom of the bill, with 18%, 20% and 25% amounts.

+1
15% used to be more standard, now more like 20%.

OP wants to see how people with little means achieve FI. OP should continue to hang out here. While it may appear that most of us are loaded, the fact is that most of us started out with little $...........
This is so true. I've tried to give investing advice to people starting out. Their universal response is that they don't have millions to invest "like you do". It doesn't occur to them that I started out with nothing, too. The basics are the same and simple, too.

Many have pointed out the analogy between getting into financial and physical good shape. You have to do stuff you maybe don't want to do, and refrain from doing other stuff you'd like to do. And you have to keep up this behavior for a long time, which is where many people eventually give up.

Luck, of course, also plays a part. You can do everything right, and bad things still may derail your efforts. But that's true of everything.

This is so true. I've tried to give investing advice to people starting out. Their universal response is that they don't have millions to invest "like you do". It doesn't occur to them that I started out with nothing, too. The basics are the same and simple, too.

In my Google search, I have only found forums like this one and others that are geared more for Rich people. Thanks for your help.

AIL-
Don’t give up. Learn where the topics that interest you are and hang out there. Using the timeline is frustrating sometimes.

I lurked for years. Finally made an account only to find that I don’t have a lot to say, but I have found members whose advice and opinions I value.

There are tips and explanations here that have helped us be successfully retired for the past six years. It’ll be “ official “ next month when my first SS check arrives - so far I’ve just been unemployed!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it matters as the OP is long gone..

No I am still here. No worries on the thread drift. It's all good.

Late last night my wife and I read every post from yesterday. We even jotted down some advice and "tips" (no pun intended). It was very encouraging to read how others have overcome substantial obstacles to get to where they are today. We plan to read today posts this evening as well.

Being an older guy I am not as good as I use to be in conveying my thanks. Please know that I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question and the very beneficial advice you have provided us.

In the late 80's, I had some serious financial reversals (think Willy Nelson tax issues). I wasn't flat broke, but not too far from it. By 1998, I was financially independent. No help from this site at the time (it didn't exist) but many of the principles were applied. My point: You don't have to be wealthy to learn something here. If you GET wealthy by participating here, you will be one more candidate for BTD or Yearly-%-Increase-in-Portfolio threads. What have you got to lose? Don't forget, YMMV.

No I am still here. ...
Good.

Back in Post #68 @HI Bill recommended the book "Millionaire Next Door." I'd like to underline that.

The book is a little dated, but the gist is that the popular image of "rich people" misses the mark by a mile. In fact, the people with the fancy cars, huge house, etc. often are not rich at all. They just spend every dime that comes in or that they can borrow.

The reality is in the book title. The millionaires are often the people who live next door, have lived in the same house for years, drive used cars, and don't own fancy clothes. Instead they LYBM and either are evolving or have evolved into the kind of folks that you find here.

Here's a link to the book: https://www.amazon.com/Millionaire-Next-Door-Surprising-Americas/dp/1589795474 Used copies start at $3.83 plus shipping. I think that's what most of us here would buy. :LOL:

Good.

Back in Post #68 @HI Bill recommended the book "Millionaire Next Door." I'd like to underline that.

The book is a little dated, but the gist is that the popular image of "rich people" misses the mark by a mile. In fact, the people with the fancy cars, huge house, etc. often are not rich at all. They just spend every dime that comes in or that they can borrow.

The reality is in the book title. The millionaires are often the people who live next door, have lived in the same house for years, drive used cars, and don't own fancy clothes. Instead they LYBM and either are evolving or have evolved into the kind of folks that you find here.

Here's a link to the book: https://www.amazon.com/Millionaire-Next-Door-Surprising-Americas/dp/1589795474 Used copies start at $3.83 plus shipping. I think that's what most of us here would buy. :LOL:
I second that recommendation. It was the first real book on FI that I read and enjoyed it very much. I don't think the principles will ever be outdated.

I go 20% unless we hog the table by drinking longer then I tip more. But dang, I really struggle on paying 20% tip on sales tax. I begrudgingly do it, but dont like it. It seems like its tipping a tax.

Does anyone know of any online forums where the majority of the members are people like myself who are Low Class or Lower Middle Class who would like to try and obtain FI?

In my Google search, I have only found forums like this one and others that are geared more for Rich people. Thanks for your help.

As the OP, I apologize if my question came across as offensive. Please be assured that was not my intent. I do appreciate the positive feedback and the additional information that you have provided me.

I think a couple of folks mentioned (based on my post from another thread) that I was in the Middle to Upper Class range. Without going into a lot of details I can assure you that is not the case.

Just to be clear. I hope my question did not imply that I was against Rich people. Quite the contrary. I know some Rich people and most of them are very nice. However, they are in a league of their own. They have a lifestyle that a simple person can only dream about. It is difficult for me as a Simple man to relate to a Rich man regarding FI. Hence the reason for my question.

No I am still here. No worries on the thread drift. It's all good.

Late last night my wife and I read every post from yesterday. We even jotted down some advice and "tips" (no pun intended). It was very encouraging to read how others have overcome substantial obstacles to get to where they are today. We plan to read today posts this evening as well.

Being an older guy I am not as good as I use to be in conveying my thanks. Please know that I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question and the very beneficial advice you have provided us.
OP, I'll read your other 1 or 2 posts out there somewhere. Other forums I've frequented are Morningstar and Bogleheads. I use Reddit more these days than any of the forums.

It really depends on what you're looking for, what type of discussion and input from others. On any public forum you'll get a share of sarcasm, off-topic and useful posts.

Good luck with the hunt!

I go 20% unless we hog the table by drinking longer then I tip more. But dang, I really struggle on paying 20% tip on sales tax. I begrudgingly do it, but dont like it. It seems like its tipping a tax.

Some of the tip suggestions include the sales tax and some don't.

Back
Top Bottom