Fidelity called...........

Dawg52

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
and told me that they had detected someone trying to log in on my account from a different computer than normal. Probably overseas. They put a temporary block on my account and had me change my login id and password. Good possibility there may be some spyware on my home pc. I use a free version from AVG anti-virus, but time to upgrade to a better service. Semi old pc so might just bite the bullet and buy a new one and get a new service then. Any recommendations on anti virus software?

Chaps me that it appears so easy for someone to get account numbers from your pc.

they had detected someone trying to log in on my account from a different computer than normal. Probably overseas.

Wow! That's scary. BTW, how do you know the Fido was the one that called? Did they give you a call back # or something else to verify that they were legit?

Can you give me an idea of what they said in the call and if your account will have any future limitations etc?

Well for one I new there was a problem over the weekend. I tried to log on Saturday and I was blocked out. The message I got said I could not log on as I had exceeded the number of attempts to key my pin number correctly. So I called Fidelity and told them I got the message on my first try. The guy I talked to said someone could have tried a similar id by mistake but I knew that was not the case as my id is/was very unique. My call apparently got the ball rolling on monitoring my account. I figured todays call was legit as I did not have to give them any numbers over the phone. I just changed everything through their automated phone service.

No restrictions in the future. They are changing my account numbers as well. I don't think I'm gonna use my work pc anymore for gaining access to my account. We have good protection here but I don't trust anything at the moment. Just going to use the automated phone service for now until I can get a new home pc with good protection.

I would suggest trying Avast! at www.avast.com. It is free but they also have a pay version, called Profession. You may be aware that virtually ALL anti-virus programs are tied to Computer Associates AV data base, so most of them work almost the same notwithstanding all of the different desktop looks they give. I am not so sure paying gets you much more.

I would also suggest Ad-Aware SE (Free Version) to add to your security folder.

One of the problems with all of these programs is that may people install them but then never run the scanning........ and then wonder why the run into problems and blame the software they never actually used.............

My ISP: ATT/Yahoo provides one for free from CA.

I use AOL Anti virus, firewall and spyware. It's free it's updated timely. I schedule an automatic and complete scan for viruses and spyware weekly.

If it's time for a new machine...let me highly recommend the iMac G5 17" for under $1000. Trust me it'll be the best computer decision you'll ever make. Virus, Spyware, etc not a problem. One of the main reason I got one two years ago. Don't run either anit-Virus or spyware programs on mine. The mac operating system is much more robust than windows and with only 3-4% of the market it's just not a target for the creepy types who get off on attacking others computer experience. Check them out at Best Buy. They just started selling the Apple computer products.

DOG52 said:
Any recommendations on anti virus software?

I've been running CA for quite a few years....their free version to start...then they came out with "eTrust Anti-Virus"...then they came out with their current "CA Anti-Virus" currently at version 8.3.0.1.

In the past I've used McAffee and also Norton, but have had my dumb *ss saved MANY times by CA, so I don't think I'd ever switch back to the others. CA has pre-empted more viruses and trojans on my systems than Norton ever did. There is an annual renewal fee, but I feel it is a good investment. 8)

I ditto OAGs recommendation of the free version of Avast. I have been using it for several years - no problems. Also Adaware.

Thanks for the responses and I will look into the iMac. What about laptops? I have never owned one but thought it might be worth looking into as I plan to start traveling some later in the year. Would be nice to have with you, but could do without. Our salesmen have laptops but the keyboard just didn't seem as friendly. Probably just a matter of getting use to it.

For those that have owned both, what are your thoughts on the pros and cons of laptops vs desktop computers?

Laptop vs Desktop:

They are pretty much at a time where they are in-line with each other. You might get extra computing power for the same money by buying a desktop, but you of course won't have the portability option if you want that. Also, a hidden cost in desktops is more power usage. Laptops are built for less power consumption, so I've read that over time you save more in power bills.

It really comes down to whether you want portability or a big monitor. Also, if you're a gamer, or use high performance applications, I'd stick with a desktop. If you use it for MS Word, reading forums on websites, and want to watch movies on the plane, go for the laptop. :)

And I second all the recommendations. I use AVG and Ad-aware SE. Also make sure MS patches are automatically applied to Windows and I'd also add Microsoft Defender which runs constantly instead of just when you remember to run Adaware:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

As Mickeyd stated, be leery about calls made directly to you. Never give out any kind of password. Any company, be it bank, investment firm, credit card company, etc, will NEVER request your password or PIN. They don't need it to access your account. If anyone ever suggests that they need a PIN or password for validating something or accessing your account, IMMEDIATELY hang up and call the company directly from their listed phone number on their website. Explain every bit of information you gave to the previous call!

Good luck!
Olav

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Engineer vs Hacker www.evsh.net

It is possible that someone got hold of your social security number and just "tried" Fidelity access with that. Fidelity originally used social security numbers as the account number.

Audrey

Ah yes, the mac "security by obscurity" benefit...

Dozens of security holes are patched regularly and a fair number have been pointed out by academics but remain unresolved.

So yes, by benefit of a very small market share you will enjoy a largely virus/spyware free experience. Until the very moment someone decides to exploit one of the existing problems at which point the entire macintosh community worldwide will be engulfed in flames practically overnight due to the lack of adequate protection.

Just like swimming through a sea of great white sharks that have recently eaten with pieces of seal meat tied to your body.

You'll probably be okay.

For laptops I'd recommend the Dell E1705 for a 17" and any toshiba for something smaller. You can scrounge an e1705 with a core duo process, 1GB ram, a 120GB disk and a dvd burner for $600-700 refurbished through the dell outlet. 95% of dells refurbs are refused shipments or machines returned during the dell 'satisfaction guarantee' period. Never seen one that didnt look and work like new. You can also often buy a very cheap extended warranty on the refurbs compared to the new ones. I paid $68 for a two year on-site warranty on my MIL's refurb e1705.

Long term, the toshibas and dells have given me no trouble whatsoever. Not one breakdown or warranty return. Other brands...not so good.

Hell, even Wab and I agree on the E1705. Which means theres either a rip in the space-time continuum or its a good product.

Oh yeah, and with my ISP provided free macafee virus/spyware scanner, or using the trend micro product Dell shipped with the E1705's, I've never had a virus or spyware problem and have suffered no ill effects of use. In fact, dont even notice that they're there.

If you get a new machine, get the core duo or core 2 duo. Dual processors are a very, very good thing.

El Guapo said:
For laptops I'd recommend the Dell E1705 for a 17" and any toshiba for something smaller. You can scrounge an e1705 with a core duo process, 1GB ram, a 120GB disk and a dvd burner for $600-700 refurbished through the dell outlet. 95% of dells refurbs are refused shipments or machines returned during the dell 'satisfaction guarantee' period. Never seen one that didnt look and work like new. You can also often buy a very cheap extended warranty on the refurbs compared to the new ones. I paid $68 for a two year on-site warranty on my MIL's refurb e1705.

If you get a new machine, get the core duo or core 2 duo. Dual processors are a very, very good thing.

Yes, I thought I would look into the refurbish ones. I think Trombone Al bought one from them not to long ago.

Thanks for the info.

El Guapo said:
95% of dells refurbs are refused shipments or machines returned during the dell 'satisfaction guarantee' period. Never seen one that didnt look and work like new.
Well, I've returned 2 out of 13 I bought from Dell outlet, fortunately both before 14 days expired.
One B130 was locking up intermittently, another Ispiron 8600 had 14 dead pixels on the screen.
But might have had the same percentage of returns just buying new Dells.

Back
Top Bottom