Join Early Retirement Today

Fidelity Html Statements: Gone?
Old 11-07-2021, 12:09 PM   #1

Fidelity Html Statements: Gone?

For many years, I've had a process where I'd save the html version of the Fidelity monthly statement and a process I defined would put all of the transactions into my own book keeping system. One may wonder why I didn't use the CSV option, well, it's because that only contains a subset of what's on the actual statement (just positions, not transactions).

But there seems to have been a change, at least for me....this month, when I go to the statements page, I only have the option for PDF. The HTML option seems to have disappeared. They didn't delete the text reference to the html version in the notes below the table, though.

Does anyone else see the HTML option? Pretty bold of Fidelity to just delete it and let the few customers that depend on it twist in the wind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nohtml.JPG (31.8 KB, 65 views)
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

What does the HTML statement give you that the PDF does not?
LarryMelman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I never looked at that part of the website before but my account looks like your screenshot - no HTML option for statements.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 12:47 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

From this thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fidelity/co...ml_statements/
Fidelity seems to be removing the html option. I no longer am able to see the html option either. Only pdf and csv.
robls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 12:50 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robls View Post
From this thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fidelity/co...ml_statements/
Fidelity seems to be removing the html option. I no longer am able to see the html option either. Only pdf and csv.
And this one,

https://www.reddit.com/r/fidelityinv...nt_csv_please/

with replies from Fidelity.

Quote:
FidelityKersi

1m
edited 27d
Helpful
Community Care Representative

Thanks for reaching out u/SpykeOne!

Fidelity has begun removing the HTML and CSV links from the statements page due to data behind these links that will be decommissioning soon. For clients whose HTML and CSV download options have already been removed, you will have the ability to download statements as PDF files. I will forward your post to our development teams as they are gathering feedback regarding the file download options we offer.
At least they didn't say "In order to serve you better...."

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 12:51 PM   #6

I always download the PDF of my statement. It never occurred to me to use the HTML, but I can certainly see how it would be useful if you want to reformat things. Have fun with your new coding efforts!
Old 11-07-2021, 01:06 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

If you know Python, you could parse out that data from the pdf.
I'm just learning Python myself. But, I know it can be done from watch You Tube videos.
robls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 02:17 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
For many years, I've had a process where I'd save the html version of the Fidelity monthly statement and a process I defined would put all of the transactions into my own book keeping system. One may wonder why I didn't use the CSV option, well, it's because that only contains a subset of what's on the actual statement (just positions, not transactions).

But there seems to have been a change, at least for me....this month, when I go to the statements page, I only have the option for PDF. The HTML option seems to have disappeared. They didn't delete the text reference to the html version in the notes below the table, though.

Does anyone else see the HTML option? Pretty bold of Fidelity to just delete it and let the few customers that depend on it twist in the wind.
Mine looks identical to yours as well. I didn't use the HTML version so no loss for me
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 03:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMelman View Post
What does the HTML statement give you that the PDF does not?
The html is easier to parse because the content is inside a data structure that has names telling the programmer what's in each place.

There should be a law where these outfits must offer a machine readable statement. I'm going to turn on paper statements again.
Old 11-07-2021, 03:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I always download the PDF of my statement. It never occurred to me to use the HTML, but I can certainly see how it would be useful if you want to reformat things. Have fun with your new coding efforts!
I looked at it. It would be a nightmare. The html was bad enough. I might not live long enough to make it worth coding.
Old 11-07-2021, 03:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
They're turning off what they have before they give out the new download
Old 11-07-2021, 03:59 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The html is easier to parse because the content is inside a data structure that has names telling the programmer what's in each place.

There should be a law where these outfits must offer a machine readable statement. I'm going to turn on paper statements again.

edit - I see they say they are phasing out CSV as well. nevermind

CSV is machine readable, no? I see you said it doesn't contain all the transaction info. Maybe better to hit up Fidelity with that comment, that the CSV needs to be complete. That's probably more likely than them reversing their decision to drop html.

They probably saw far fewer html clicks than CSV clicks. So focus on CSV.

Maybe even talk this up on the larger social media sites, you might get some traction.

-ERD50
Old 11-07-2021, 04:01 PM   #13

At least they still give you a CSV option. Schwab gives you only a PDF download.
Old 11-07-2021, 04:12 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
At least they still give you a CSV option. Schwab gives you only a PDF download.
That's what I thought as they still show CSV, but I should have read my own post #5!

Quote:
FidelityKersi

1m
edited 27d
Helpful
Community Care Representative

Thanks for reaching out u/SpykeOne!

Fidelity has begun removing the HTML and CSV links from the statements page due to data behind these links that will be decommissioning soon. For clients whose HTML and CSV download options have already been removed, you will have the ability to download statements as PDF files. I will forward your post to our development teams as they are gathering feedback regarding the file download options we offer.
-ERD50
Old 11-07-2021, 04:38 PM   #15

Besides, the CSV only has the holdings, not the transactions. At least that's what it comes up with when I try it now, and I presume that's why I didn't use it years ago when I set-up the html parser.
Old 11-07-2021, 04:54 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Besides, the CSV only has the holdings, not the transactions. At least that's what it comes up with when I try it now, and I presume that's why I didn't use it years ago when I set-up the html parser.
In Schwab each account has transaction history. From there you can export Excel CSV. I think you may find something similar at Fidelity.

Another possibility is to look at Print function.

Another observation is that Acrobat has a copy table feature.

If HTML is gone, you just move forward and craft another solution.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 04:57 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
or "because of Covid....."
HarveyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
If HTML is gone, you just move forward and craft another solution.
Not impossible, but I could probably manually type it for two years before I'd break-even coding a PDF scraper. And then it would probably break every time I had a transaction type the scraper hasn't "seen before". Like I said, there aughtta be a law where they're required to supply a machine readable, full-detail, statement. There IS a law where they're required to supply a paper statement with certain specifications...that law needs to be expanded to force them into putting that same thing into a machine readable file. I voted with my mouse: https://digital.fidelity.com/ftgw/digital/edelivery/ clicking "US Mail" on everything. If I'm going to have to type it in, I'm certainly not going to print it myself.

BTW, I got the same boilerplate response "Fidelity has begun removing the HTML and CSV links from the statements page..." when I complained in the FaceBook group.
Old 11-07-2021, 07:56 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Im surprised this has no impact on any of the account consolidation tools (personal Capital, etc) and all the others that offer to update accounts from all over in a single place. I have about 6 accounts on Fidos GPS but I update manually each quarter.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:39 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I’m surprised this has no impact on any of the account consolidation tools (personal Capital, etc) and all the others that offer to update accounts from all over in a single place. I have about 6 accounts on Fido’s GPS but I update manually each quarter.
I was on a project where we integrated with one of the major aggregator vendors, so we could provide a "consolidated view" of a client's assets held at other financial institutions. The aggregators essentially "capture" account data in one of 2 ways - (a) by working with a financial organization using some custom interface (similar to the tax forms import in Turbo Tax) so that they can periodically capture each client's data that's signed up for the service using scheduled jobs, or (b) programatically logging into each of the client's financial websites and "scraping" the data from key website pages by parsing through the html.

Obviously, method (b) is much more error prone and frequently breaks whenever website pages are redesigned. It's also more taxing on the websites as it can occur at any time of the day and increases their website traffic.

But, method (a) requires a custom project and ongoing relationship with each financial organization that wants to facilitate the aggregator efficiently getting the account data.

From what I've seen, the data being captured is typically current data (shares, prices, etc.). They might go after transaction history data, but I don't believe they stored any statement data. I say this based on what data the aggregator provided in their various api's.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote