Join Early Retirement Today

Fidelity MyVoice
Old 01-17-2018, 09:29 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fidelity MyVoice

I had an occasion to call Fidelity yesterday. After verifying my identity, they asked if I would like to sign up for Fidelity MyVoice, which is a new identity verification system using just your voice. I went ahead and signed up, and now presumably they will be able to verify my identity on future calls just from my voice. Seems pretty convenient and secure. Nice new feature.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

+1. Did same about a month ago.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"I'm sorry, Mr. Travelover, you have to call back when you get over your cold. No soup for you."
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder if it are able to get through if you have a cold, nasty cough, or COP in my case.
HF63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:16 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I have that with Vanguard, of course, I don't call them very often.
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF63 View Post
I wonder if it are able to get through if you have a cold, nasty cough, or COP in my case.
I asked that question when I signed up a few months ago and they assured me that the system's underlying technology is sophisticated enough to recognize you even with a severe cold or even laryngitis.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #7

I also have the voice recognition with Vanguard and it has worked flawlessly.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #8

So as a geeky engineer, I am amazed by this - but I don't work in this area.

I can EASILY see how Amazon Alexa and Google Home devices can do a good job of voice recognition having multiply-spaced microphones and a large dynamic frequency range of, say, 20Hz to 20kHz to extract the audio voice-print from.

But most landline telephony-based devices can only be counted on to have an audio frequency range of only 3kHz to 3.4kHz to work with --- and then add to that the fact that cellphones are using big-time codecs to crunch, and unintentionally-distort, the audio down to be represented by a few hundreds of bits. How is anything left at all discernible? ......especially to be able to identify exactly ONE human from all others?

Can anyone in-the-know speak to this? I am VERY curious.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:42 PM   #9

If I recall correctly the POTS frequency range is 300hz to 3,300hz. This is where about 95% of the information in the human voice resides. So while you can hear up to 20000hz (or used to be able to, that high end drops off sharply with age, especially in men.) you sure aren't speak at those higher frequencies.

How the 'voice print' part works - not a clue.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
If I recall correctly the POTS frequency range is 300hz to 3,300hz.
OOPS! You are correct. 300Hz. Thanks.

...and I guess if the human voice can't produce anything much outside of this range, reproducing outside of that does nothing. Um, duh - hence the reason for the bandwidth limitation in the first place!

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
OOPS! You are correct. 300Hz. Thanks.

...and I guess if the human voice can't produce anything much outside of this range, reproducing outside of that does nothing. Um, duh - hence the reason for the bandwidth limitation in the first place
Thanks.

No, thank you. Got me reading something interesting

https://science.howstuffworks.com/biometrics3.htm
Old 01-17-2018, 04:38 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
I had an occasion to call Fidelity yesterday. After verifying my identity, they asked if I would like to sign up for Fidelity MyVoice, which is a new identity verification system using just your voice. I went ahead and signed up, and now presumably they will be able to verify my identity on future calls just from my voice. Seems pretty convenient and secure. Nice new feature.
Yes. It works too! I was trying to do some stuff for my dad, I'm POA, but hadn't sent it in yet. Using his information, I identified through as him, but was denied do to voice recognition.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote