Join Early Retirement Today

Fidelity offers FREE TurboTax Premier
Old 02-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fidelity offers FREE TurboTax Premier

I saw this posted elsewhere online and figured I would share it here.

https://www.fidelity.com/premier

I have logged into fidelity and clicked through to the Turbotax website. It does appear the Premier Turbotax is free for online use and Federal E-File. I didn't actually fill out my return using Turbotax yet, but I might give it a try this year (I usually do paper forms and mail in).

As far as account level, I am a "Fidelity Premium Services" tier customer. I think that is one step up from entry level but I don't really know how their tiers work or whether Fidelity Premium Services tier is required to get the free turbotax. Vanguard apparently gives this out free to customers with $1M+ in assets with vanguard but I'm not quite there yet (ha!).

I also saw some discussion about the link working best in Firefox, so if Chrome or IE don't work for you, you may want to try Firefox.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Here's another thread about free turbotax for vanguard members: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ers-64179.html
Old 02-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Speaking of Fidelity and Turbotax. I was working on my tax today. I could not find my paper 1099R from Fidelity. I don't know if they sent one or not. My plan "A" was to print out a copy of the 1099R on the Fidelity website. It appears that Fidelity has upgraded to the latest version of Acrobat, which is incompatible with my older version of Acrobat reader. I attempted unsuccessfully to download the new version of Acrobat reader to my PC. It appears that I will have to manually uninstall the older version of Acrobat on my PC before I can install the new version. I Did not do that today

This is the first time that my version of Acrobat reader did not work for me. My general policy is to use old software until it doesn't work anymore.

My plan "B" was to download the 1099R directly from Fidelity to Turbotax. This worked except that the name that appeared in my Turbotax was not "Fidelity Investments" but was instead "National Financial services LLC" with no reference to Fidelity.

Fidelity had sent a paper Form 5498 with a header "Fidelity Investments National Financial Services LLC". So I was able to surmise that the downloaded 1099R was from Fidelity.

My Turbotax is on a CD.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We bought TurboTax already this year... but this will make me think twice about buying it before waiting for this kind of offer from Fido.

The problem is that we absolutely needed to start doing our taxes early this year, in an attempt to establish whether our AGI would allow us to make Roth contributions. I suppose we don't need that next year.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #5

My Fidelity link just says "Save up to $20 on TurboTax Online and Desktop federal products," not that it is entirely free. As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm gonna try FreeTaxUSA--which is one of the free tax preparers recommended by the IRS site.
Birdie Num Nums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
My Fidelity link just says "Save up to $20 on TurboTax Online and Desktop federal products," not that it is entirely free. As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm gonna try FreeTaxUSA--which is one of the free tax preparers recommended by the IRS site.

Interesting. After I log in (to my account or DW's account) is says "
Prepare Your Taxes the Easy Way With TurboTaxŪ

To thank our most valued customers, we're offering free TurboTax Online Premier, including complimentary federal online e-filing."

Maybe I'm a more valued customer?? Do you have $250,000+ in Fidelity? I'm curious if it is for the Fidelity Premium Services customers only. Others online say they don't have anything at Fidelity and it still works. If you are interested, it may be worth a call to a fidelity rep to find out why you aren't a valued customer...
Old 02-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I have used downloaded tt

this is my second year purchasing from ioffer dot com, got home and office for $10, you get a link to down load file. So far I have imported last years data and gottten updates, not yet filed. Last I knew, online turbo tax would not let you import last years return, that could have changed.
perrytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Interesting. After I log in (to my account or DW's account) is says "
Prepare Your Taxes the Easy Way With TurboTaxŪ

To thank our most valued customers, we're offering free TurboTax Online Premier, including complimentary federal online e-filing."

Maybe I'm a more valued customer?? Do you have $250,000+ in Fidelity? I'm curious if it is for the Fidelity Premium Services customers only. Others online say they don't have anything at Fidelity and it still works. If you are interested, it may be worth a call to a fidelity rep to find out why you aren't a valued customer...
Nope, nowhere near that amount. Maybe I will call a rep on Monday. Thanks!
Birdie Num Nums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Free at T. Rowe Price but I think you need to be a 'high net worth investor'. Otherwise you get a discount.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Interesting. After I log in (to my account or DW's account) is says "Prepare Your Taxes the Easy Way With TurboTaxŪ

Maybe I'm a more valued customer?? Do you have $250,000+ in Fidelity? I'm curious if it is for the Fidelity Premium Services customers only.
For Premium Services, you must had 250k in assets OR 100k assets and trade 36 times/yr.
For Private Client group it's 1 mil in assets. Private Client group get all the benefits of Premium Services and additional benefits.

I was talking to Fidelity about Turbotax benefits and the rep admitted they don't really advertise it well. Apparently, for Private Client you can get free TT online or the software on disc (Deluxe version) too. I left a message for my rep to see what the real story is.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:57 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm, - I always thought it was online only, and I never wanted to do it online.

Updated - OK I see the $20 off from the TT web site. They offer $29.99 for the basic Federal, and $49.99 for deluxe federal plus State software (download, not online).

Costco has the deluxe Federal only (+ eFile) software on CD in their stores for $29.99.

Amazon has the TT basic Federal for $26.99 and deluxe Federal for $29.99 today. Amazon's prices change daily.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Hmmmm, - I always thought it was online only, and I never wanted to do it online.
Yes, this offer from Fidelity appears to be for the Turbotax Online version only. The Deluxe was shown as $19.99 to me, but the higher tier Premier was free.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, this offer from Fidelity appears to be for the Turbotax Online version only. The Deluxe was shown as $19.99 to me, but the higher tier Premier was free.
Right, through Fidelity - the Premier is free for online only, but $74.99 if you want to download the software or get the CD. Deluxe is $19.99 for online only, but $29.99 for download/CD.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #14

Suggest you call your Fidelity Rep, it is surprising what they can comp.
If you are Private Client, it is a slam dunk, refund of whatever you pay--just send them the receipt.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #15

Here's the info I got when I called today. Fidelity offers the software on CD mainly to active traders. If you're at the Private Client group level, you get online Premier free and you can also get TT Deluxe mailed to you on CD for free, but only if you call/ask. I was told they don't advertise this as a benefit since it depends on the agreement with TT and the cost. So you need to check every year to see what is being offered.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I just call asking for TT deluxe on CD.

They said no problem we'll get it in the mail today. Then he said I would still have to purchase the licenses for $30 or $40. lol What's the point.

I'll just continue to get it from Best Buy since I usually have about 5 fed efiles to do.
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Not intended for all Fidelity customers
Old 02-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #17
Confused about dryer sheets

Not intended for all Fidelity customers

This offer from Fidelity was intended for Private Client Group and Active Trader customers. For all other Fidelity customers, including 401K plan participants Fidelity offers $10 off Deluxe, $15 off Premier and $20 off Home and Business. And these dollar offer offers are good for both TurboTax Online and desktop download products. To take advantage of these discounts simply visit Fidelity.com and click on the Taxes link under popular topics in the middle of the page
TTJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Looks like the deal is dead folks. You may be able to talk to a fidelity rep and see if they can help you with the change in terms if you already signed up for TT and thought you were eligible for the promo.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #19

Even if you qualify for free Turbotax, they completely shut down access. I was talking to a Fidelity rep and they suggested contacting your rep and they would reimburse you.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

What happened?

I noticed the Turbotax rebates were no longer offered at Costco today. I'm glad I bought my copy last week.

Tags
fidelity, free, turbotax