Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-24-2020, 11:17 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
Is there a major brokerage house today where I'm not allowed to buy VTI and BND? That's the point. Limitations on what you can own and where you choose to hold it are almost nonexistent for low-cost index investors. It really does just boil down to service and platform. Twenty years ago was a different landscape and your post would have been more meaningful.
Relax, I was making a general recommendation, not a recommendation for you personally. I have no idea what another investor holds, plans to hold - but it would be foolish to choose a firm only to find out they didn't have what you were after. Most investors are probably well served by any major firm, but not all.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2020, 11:34 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have had accounts at both (as well as Schwab more recently) for decades and over time, a number of smaller issues (such as the quality of the website) have caused me to shift toward Fidelity (and Schwab) more and more. I closed my last Vanguard account a year or two ago - no regrets.
That said, Vanguard is perfectly fine for the most part. Its just that Fidelity and Schwab have passed them up.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:38 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
Is there a major brokerage house today where I'm not allowed to buy VTI and BND? That's the point. Limitations on what you can own and where you choose to hold it are almost nonexistent for low-cost index investors. It really does just boil down to service and platform. Twenty years ago was a different landscape and your post would have been more meaningful.
Perfectly said!
Oilcan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Have our holdings in Vanguard and T. Rowe Price. Never had a problem with either.
mckittri2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:54 PM   #25

Fido and VG for 20 years, after retirement move everything to VG. Fido had restrictions I didn’t like so moved to VG.
teejayevans is online now   Reply With Quote
Fidelity or Vanguard
Old 07-24-2020, 01:19 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fidelity or Vanguard

My original plan was to consolidate my various IRAs to one account by retirement time, and perhaps consolidate all accounts to one mutual fund company. While w*orking, I had Vanguard, Fidelity, and T.Rowe Price. But Iíve been reluctant to sell my assets at T.Rowe Price because they were particularly helpful in transferring assets out of the grip of a mutual fund company that had frozen my retirement account for inexplicable reasons, preventing me from accessing my own money for over a year. Now in retirement, I donít wish to have all my financial eggs in one basket because as MRG stated, sometimes stuff happens. So I will always have at least 2 fund companies, especially since I have no other source of income.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:33 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by VungTau View Post
Fid is my preferred choice and kinda decided to move that direction for these reasons:

[...]

So my question is: Does anyone have any ideas about why keeping the VG account open would make sense? Am I missing anything important about VG?

I have access to all VG Index funds via Fid and I don't do anything with VG other than check the balance regularly and get my 1099.
I have some potential biases: I've worked for two of the big three firms (in IT), and have had the majority of my invested funds in the third for almost 30 years. I am intentionally cagey in revealing whom I've worked for, and should I find myself wanting to go back to full-time work I'm fairly likely to end up back at one or the other of them.

My personal investment philosophy seems to mesh the best with Vanguard's fund offerings, but their site has been the least intuitive to use, and multiple times I've had trouble getting my money back out when I bought a house and as I'm starting retirement withdrawals. They have annoyed me in other ways, too, but these ways may be particular to very few people and not widely relevant. I suspect having a credit union instead of a bank is causing some of the headaches in fund transfers. I am particularly annoyed and even offended at VG's apparent push to make every account a brokerage account, although I'm don't even know if you can get fund-only non-brokerage accounts at the others anymore.

Fidelity has always seemed to have the most intuitive site; it just takes me less time to figure stuff out there. Their general push towards active management and managed services doesn't mesh with my philosophy, but come to think of it they aren't all that pushy. I recently tried to get money out for the first time and ran into challenges with the online tools, and I haven't bothered to reach out to their customer service even though they're consistently praised for that.

I've had the least trouble with Schwab; everything just works for me, although the site's intuitive-ness falls between VG and Fid. Their corporate philosophy seems to be "your choice": they have active management, managed services, and RIA referrals and tools, but as a company the don't seem too fussed about whether you manage yourself or use them or a 3rd-party advisor; they're just thrilled to have the AUM.

My favorite all-time fund is was Wellington. Someone above said you could get it at Fidelity, but I didn't think that was true. I certainly can't get it at Schwab. (I still have active accounts at all three.) I can get Wellesley, though.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:46 PM   #28

As I've said many times before I use both. Fido for service and better online tools and VG for the next best option. I will never put all my eggs in one basket.
Old 07-24-2020, 05:13 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

IIRC a 90s/aol. coulcocism in online vernacular acknowledged an overwhelming position of "Get both!"
Good Luck!
Old 07-24-2020, 05:29 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Have had Vanguard for almost years and Fidelity for a couple years. Neither are outstanding IME.

Many rave about Fido's website and tools but I don't get it... they are ok but nothing to rave about.

Fido's cash/MM offerings are very mediocre.... Vanguard's are better IME.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:38 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Fidelity for me - 100%. Their private client customer service has been outstanding for me. These days most customer service departments are a joke (thinking health insurance company and cable). That said, my SIL who doesn't qualify for the higher service level, does not like FIDO after I recommended her to them. I used VG a while back when their fees were so much lower than everyone else, but that has mostly gone away.
Old 07-24-2020, 05:46 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Never had a Vanguard account. I have been with Fido for over 25 years and have never had a bad experience.
Old 07-24-2020, 05:49 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Fidelity
Old 07-24-2020, 07:21 PM   #34

Have both now. Trying to figure out whether maintaining either vanguard flagship level is worth anything at all for us.

Like the free international atm at Fido (also schwab). Considering consolidating at Fido and Schwab to make things easier (local offices) for DW (and our sons) in the likely event I die first.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:24 AM   #35

Fidelity or Vanguard

This thread is about Fido and VG but others have mentioned their Schwab experiences, too.

I started investing in my 20s at Schwab and had good service experiences. After settling on an index fund strategy, I looked around one day and realized, a) I own nothing but VG funds, and b) Who is paying for all these fancy downtown offices? Answer: Probably me in ways that I canít see.

One day a Schwab advisor called me out of the blue to say I was making a big mistake being in index funds and he could do better. Thatís when I moved everything to Vanguard and havenít looked back. It was about $700K at the time, which generated a concerned call from a manager and an honest answer from me.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:00 AM   #36

Vanguard.

It's unique in that it doesn't have to answer to shareholders. I have Fidelity too and getting things done is 95% the same between the two.
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:00 AM   #37
gone traveling

Fidelity account can be configured with Hardware Secure ID. Two-Factor Authentication. Hence I vote for Fidelity.

But you have buy your own Hardware Key. They don't sell/provide it. So I would rather go to Schwab or E*Trade . They give it to you at no cost.
TechLead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittri2000 View Post
Have our holdings in Vanguard and T. Rowe Price. Never had a problem with either.

TRP is nice! I like their free access to WSJ, Turbo Tax and Morningstar too!
VungTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:05 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechLead View Post
Fidelity account can be configured with Hardware Secure ID. Two-Factor Authentication. Hence I vote for Fidelity.

But you have buy your own Hardware Key. They don't sell/provide it. So I would rather go to Schwab or E*Trade . They give it to you at no cost.
I use the Symantec VIP Access app on my phone for that. No cost and just as secure (AFAIK).
Old 07-25-2020, 08:05 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Unless you are holding large portions of your port in VG Admiral Shares and want their lower ERs, I would move everything to Fidelity. You can certainly purchase or house regular VG fund shares at Fidelity.