Join Early Retirement Today

Fidelity Replacement Cards with Elan
Old 06-13-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Fidelity Replacement Cards with Elan

I'm assuming there are others here that have both the Fidelity Amex with 2% Rewards and the Visa with 1.5% Rewards. I logged into my Fidelity account and it looks like I'm getting 2 new replacement Visa cards. One with 2% Rewards that replaces the old Amex and second Visa with 1.5% Rewards for the old Fidelity Visa. This second Visa accrues at 1.5% up to the first $15,000 and then 2% thereafter. The two Rewards accounts are separate so that means I need to use the 1.5% Visa until I get to the 5000pt threshold for cashing out before I switch over exclusively to using the 2% Rewards Visa card. I wish they had combined the two accounts into just one 2% Fidelity Rewards Visa. It would have made the transition so much easier.
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I believe the amex 2% was replaced by a visa 2% Any way I have both the visa 2% and the visa 1.5%, I stopped using the 1.5% when they came out with the 2%. I was notified they are sending a new card for the 1.5%. Will not be using it. Won't even activate it.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm getting both cards as well. I also intend to shift exclusively to the 2% now that it's a Visa vs. the former AmEx. A bit off-topic, but somewhat related. Now that I'm newly RE I was expecting to step through some of my accumulated dormant credit cards and actually cancel a few. I understand the implications in regards to wanting to retain oldest trade-lines, as well as the potential it has to increase my utilization ratios, and ultimately drop my credit score ever so slightly - but my score has plenty of room to drop and still be excellent so the financial de-cluttering to me has value. It also might make me more open to chasing some new credit card sign-up bonuses that I've been passing on. I never previously had any problems qualifying for CC's, but I had 6 figure income and perfect payment histories. What has been people's experience getting new CC's shifting from 6 digit salary to lower (5-digit) post employment income levels?
FireFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:49 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I also saw my new VISA numbers (the last four) when I logged into Fidelity today, and I saw the credit limit which was ~$1K less for some reason. It was an oddball number too, like $20,007.99. How weird is that!

I got notice that my Fidelty AMEX card would quit working on July 22nd.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:12 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I also saw my new VISA numbers (the last four) when I logged into Fidelity today, and I saw the credit limit which was ~$1K less for some reason. It was an oddball number too, like $20,007.99. How weird is that!

Strange. Could that have been some sore of "available credit limit"?

USAA just changed my MC to a Visa, and they started booking my cc transactions under the new Visa number at least one week before mailing it to me, I didn't activate for another week but that didn't stop them. I use it for automatic billing, the old card is now cancelled, but I noticed today I forgot to update one account - but they're accepting the charge anyway.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Strange. Could that have been some sore of "available credit limit"?

USAA just changed my MC to a Visa, and they started booking my cc transactions under the new Visa number at least one week before mailing it to me, I didn't activate for another week but that didn't stop them. I use it for automatic billing, the old card is now cancelled, but I noticed today I forgot to update one account - but they're accepting the charge anyway.
Who knows! Don't have any other cards with Citi, so I don't get running into such a limit.

I happened to retrieve a set of credit reports recently, and noticed my credit utilization is 6%. Maybe they think that's too low? Who knows!

I had actually raised my Fidelity AMEX credit limit from $16K to $21K a few months ago in anticipation of this switch. It's a card we use heavily. $20K limit will be fine - it's just odd!
Old 06-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #7

When I logged into Fidelity this morning I also saw that my new Visa card is already on the account, showing the last four. I was even able to go in and set things up, like autopay, email alerts, etc.

The credit limit is exactly the same as the Amex card. I also got a letter in the mail today reminding me that any automatic payments made from the old Amex card would only be honored until July 21.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFool View Post
I never previously had any problems qualifying for CC's, but I had 6 figure income and perfect payment histories. What has been people's experience getting new CC's shifting from 6 digit salary to lower (5-digit) post employment income levels?
I've applied for several and haven't had a problem. I most recently applied for a Citicard AAdvantage card last night and got approved w/ $10000 credit limit no problem (got DW the same card a month ago too). I don't even think they asked what I did for a living, just what my income was (I usually say $40k or $50k which is roughly what my AGI is each year).

I'm a big fan of the CC sign up bonus game and the AAdvantage card is #4 for us in 2016.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:54 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

What's happening to the Fidelity AMEX card? Is it going away?
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:54 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I never previously had any problems qualifying for CC's, but I had 6 figure income and perfect payment histories. What has been people's experience getting new CC's shifting from 6 digit salary to lower (5-digit) post employment income levels?
No problem even though I declare myself as retired, specify investment income if asked, and my income is self-reported. I can always back it up with the prior year tax return, but that has never been requested. My income didn't drop compared to my working years. But there is no way for the credit bureaus to know what my income is.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:55 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
What's happening to the Fidelity AMEX card? Is it going away?
Yes it is!

You will get a VISA later this month or early next month.

Are you missing some important mail?
Old 06-13-2016, 05:31 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It also might make me more open to chasing some new credit card sign-up bonuses that I've been passing on. I never previously had any problems qualifying for CC's, but I had 6 figure income and perfect payment histories. What has been people's experience getting new CC's shifting from 6 digit salary to lower (5-digit) post employment income levels?
No problem either getting new or raising limits within reason. I learned that I should have gotten approved for a home equity loan before I retired. Still got one just not as much as I would have liked to.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:45 PM   #13

News to me too although I'm too quick on the shred button . I wonder if there are some nice offers out for replacement AmEx cards as I'm sure they want to keep me as a customer...I've spent a small fortune in the last year as we've remodeled the house.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:51 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
..What has been people's experience getting new CC's shifting from 6 digit salary to lower (5-digit) post employment income levels?
My income can vary quite a bit from one year to the next so I did an experiment one year and put a really low income on a credit card application and it was turned down. If it's a card I want then I enter a more realistic number for income and I have never been turned down since. It turns out there is no income verification for credit cards or even for new car loans for that matter. When I bought a new car last summer the salesperson told me there would be no income verification. The approval would be based on my credit score.
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:58 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Just walked to pick up the mail, nice package with two new cards. I'm so happy to be rid of the morons at FIA!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:12 PM   #16

I had one Fidelity MasterCard and one Fidelity Visa, both 1.5% cash back but via different programs. I had a problem connecting the first one to my account, got the second one working, and then fixed the problem with the first card (couldn't connect to a trust account). Looks like both changed into Visa cards. I'm only seeing info for 2% cash back for both cards, so hopefully that means I won't have to get a new card for that.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:56 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
News to me too although I'm too quick on the shred button . I wonder if there are some nice offers out for replacement AmEx cards as I'm sure they want to keep me as a customer...I've spent a small fortune in the last year as we've remodeled the house.
Not special (exclusive) offers, but you may be preapproved for the Amex Blue Cash card.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:59 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Just walked to pick up the mail, nice package with two new cards. I'm so happy to be rid of the morons at FIA!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
I'm also hoping for improvement over FIA. Apple Pay is supported. I'm waiting to see if they have the email alerts I like to get, these alerts were noticeably missing from FIA.

Hmm - I think I can find that out now since I was able to access my online account.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Yes it is!

You will get a VISA later this month or early next month.

Are you missing some important mail?

Not that I'm aware of. I already have the Fidelity Elan Visa card, so I'm assuming I won't be getting another one. Why are they eliminating their AMEX card? Did they just end their deal with FIA?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:32 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Not that I'm aware of. I already have the Fidelity Elan Visa card, so I'm assuming I won't be getting another one. Why are they eliminating their AMEX card? Did they just end their deal with FIA?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Yes, they are ending their relationship with FIA.

They started offering the Elan card in Jan of this year I think. This change only affects folks with cards issued by FIA card services.