Fidelity Retirement Analysis Tool

Fidelity was getting some heat on Reddit for hiding the Retirement Planner. What used to be one click from Full View, now takes me 5 or 6 clicks. That's what Fidelity calls an "upgrade".

Fidelity was getting some heat on Reddit for hiding the Retirement Planner. What used to be one click from Full View, now takes me 5 or 6 clicks. That's what Fidelity calls an "upgrade".

Do you have a link to the reddit discussion and the steps to get to the Retirement Planner tool from Full View?

I didn't see it on my front page either yesterday. Pisses me off. Not the first time they changed it.
I tried going to Planning and Guidance where then one can see the calculator. It then goes to the Planning Summary which was referenced above. I don't have detailed goals, so can't get the score or the asset based portion of the calculator.
However in my brother's goal summary, it can be accessed from there.
Absolutely rediculous. Will call them now.

Okay 1 hour on the line with Fidelity. Needed to speak with a 5th person who truly works with the tool.
He doesn't know why it was taken off the front summary page and will get back to me. I indicated there are many frustrated users.
So the current path to get there is as follows:
Summary Page - use the "Planning & Advice" dropdown with the "Retirement" choice.
"I'm ready to live my retirement" (middle of page) click "Learn how to plan"
"Retirement Income Planning" (top of page) "Create your plan" choice
This should take you to the tool.

Update - Fidelity is beta testing (yet again) the E Money tool and that is why it was put on the summary page as a substitute. I do not like this tool and it doesn't work for me and I told him as such.
There are no current plans to do away with the Retirement calculator tool. Just more of a pain to access it.

Also, note that you can print out a PDF report of your analysis, which shows how much you should have in RMDs, SS, and how much you'll need to withdraw to reach your budget # in each year.

And thanks for the detail, Dtail! I may call myself next week just because the more of us complain, the more they're likely to notice.

Last edited:
I think it’s pretty stupid to hide the Retirement Analysis Tool, considering I see it advertised on TV on a regular basis.

I’ve been using this tool for the past 10 years - 5 years before I retired and 5 years afterward. I usually run the tool every 6 months, review and save the results.

I reviewed the plan from 5 1/2 years ago to the plan I ran 4 months ago and see how the RMD values have really dropped reflecting the RothIRA conversions. After 5 years retired, the ending yearly values match up fairly well the the Average Return model (50%).

Okay 1 hour on the line with Fidelity. Needed to speak with a 5th person who truly works with the tool.
He doesn't know why it was taken off the front summary page and will get back to me. I indicated there are many frustrated users.
So the current path to get there is as follows:
Summary Page - use the "Planning & Advice" dropdown with the "Retirement" choice.
"I'm ready to live my retirement" (middle of page) click "Learn how to plan"
"Retirement Income Planning" (top of page) "Create your plan" choice
This should take you to the tool.

Update - Fidelity is beta testing (yet again) the E Money tool and that is why it was put on the summary page as a substitute. I do not like this tool and it doesn't work for me and I told him as such.
There are no current plans to do away with the Retirement calculator tool. Just more of a pain to access it.

Thank you so much.

I think it’s pretty stupid to hide the Retirement Analysis Tool, considering I see it advertised on TV on a regular basis.

I’ve been using this tool for the past 10 years - 5 years before I retired and 5 years afterward. I usually run the tool every 6 months, review and save the results.

I reviewed the plan from 5 1/2 years ago to the plan I ran 4 months ago and see how the RMD values have really dropped reflecting the RothIRA conversions. After 5 years retired, the ending yearly values match up fairly well the the Average Return model (50%).

Agree. The rep added that Fidelity has spent lots of cash on the E Money tool and they want their higher end clients to use it more.
It is just not a great tool and they probably just don't wish to admit it.

Related to your point above, do you think conceptually that the retirement score should change depending on the model used? i.e. the "Average Return" model should have a higher score, not just a higher ending asset balance?

Once your retire, the score disappears from the tool. I think the score is helpful pre-retirement, as it’s a guide to set your retirement budget. After retirement, it’s not really needed as long as your plan funds never go to zero.

Once your retire, the score disappears from the tool. I think the score is helpful pre-retirement, as it’s a guide to set your retirement budget. After retirement, it’s not really needed as long as your plan funds never go to zero.

Yes realize that. I still like using the score by pushing out my "retirement" year by 1 year. than the current year This concept is no different than those using the Firecalc calculator as a retire again and again concept.

My question above was conceptual.

It looks fairly normal to me on the home page EXCEPT it says "You may have $XXXXX monthly income" but it used to say "You may have $XXXXXX at the end of your plan". it is in a box labled "Goals" in the right column. I recall these boxes were reconfigurable but when I played with changing the layout it just felt like a waste of time.

I really worry that Fidelity will add too many tools and features causing the whole thing to be unreliable with constant updates and fixes or just impossible to navigate. Maybe it's already there.

Edit: I noticed the "Customize" button on the right side of the page above the info boxes. If you click it you can add or remove info boxes. If you delete an info box it just means you must navigate through the normal menu to access that info. Maybe that is why some users are not seeing the link.

Last edited:
The link to the Fidelity tool has been restored to my front page. Perhaps enough squeaky wheels...

Back
Top Bottom