Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-20-2016, 04:47 AM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=Ticker;1689413]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post

so are you saying that you would take your distributions at the beginning of the year as a lump sum? I would think that a monthly distribution would be preferable. allowing time for those assets to grow throughout the year.
or go down through the year .
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 06:57 PM   #182
Recycles dryer sheets

Every now and then instead of the retirement preparedness measure wheel I get a line graph indicating what my anticipated monthly spend could potentially be in an under performing market and in an average market. For some reason I can't make this chart show up on purpose.

Anyone else get this monthly spend chart?
tdv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:34 AM   #183
Recycles dryer sheets

New change to the tool. Fidelity reduced the healthcare inflation assumption from 7% to 5.5%. My retirement preparedness score went from 104 to 111 on this change.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:15 AM   #184
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdv2 View Post
New change to the tool. Fidelity reduced the healthcare inflation assumption from 7% to 5.5%. My retirement preparedness score went from 104 to 111 on this change.
Do you know when this occurred? TIA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:20 AM   #185
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

my retirement preparedness score went from 111 to 125 from when I checked last week.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:20 AM   #186
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Do you know when this occurred? TIA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Change just happened overnight.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:45 AM   #187

Quote:
Wow, did they give a reason anywhere as to why?

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:57 AM   #188
Give me a forum ...

while we are seeing increases they have been getting smaller then they were nationally . most of the savings has been because the plans today have higher co-pays , deductibles and out of pockets . over the years we went from 250 bucks to 2500 in deductible .

we are headed back towards where we were decades ago when you had major medical and paid for everything else
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:25 AM   #189

Quote:
Where did you get this? I was just on the site and see no change in health care assumptions from 7% under Methodology. Perhaps you meant changes to LTC cost assumptions:

Quote:
The Tool makes the following inflation assumptions and does not allow you to change these inflation rates.

Health Care Costs: The default inflation rate of health care costs is 7%. This figure is based on a study by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) (an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services) estimating growth in health care costs between 2001 and 2011.

Long-Term-Care Costs: The default inflation rate of long-term-care costs is 5.5% modeled in the what-if scenarios. This figure is based on a study by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services) estimating growth in long-term-care costs between 2001 and 2011.

Long-Term-Care Insurance Premiums: The default inflation rate of long-term-care insurance premiums entered in the Budget Worksheet is 0%. This figure is based on the assumption that your insurance premiums are fixed and level.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:31 AM   #190

This is what pops up when I go to the retirement preparedness tool -

"A quick update

Reminder: The Fidelity Planning & Guidance Center is provided for your education only. You shouldn't use what you learn here as the primary basis for investment or tax-planning decisions.

Recent updates
To help provide a more accurate analysis, Fidelity constantly evaluates the assumptions we use, as well as new retirement research.

Lower health care inflation rate: Based on new economic projections, we’ve lowered the annual inflation rate we apply to health care expenses from 7% to 5.5%. As a result, you may see that your retirement analysis has improved.

Longer lifespans: Research now shows Americans are living longer. As a result, you may want to update your retirement goal's Time Horizon to reflect today's longer lifespans."
Old 06-14-2016, 09:40 AM   #191

125 in an under performing market and plugging in a 25% reduction in SS in 2035 - I think we will be okay even under the previous 7% when it showed only a 111 score.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #192

obviously they haven't updated their methodology page yet to reflect the changes they have highlighted in the updates.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:44 AM   #193

Thanks. I always ignore and click right through that initial pop-up (guess I won't in the future!). Rather sloppy of them not to have made corresponding changes in the methodology section.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:03 AM   #194
Full time employment: Posting here.

After seeing tdv2's post, I logged in and I see the change. The result is that my small margin of safety has morphed into a huge margin of safety. I did also see the reference to everybody living longer but for now I will leave the planned ages of 92/94 for us.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:35 PM   #195
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC-1982 View Post
After seeing tdv2's post, I logged in and I see the change. The result is that my small margin of safety has morphed into a huge margin of safety. I did also see the reference to everybody living longer but for now I will leave the planned ages of 92/94 for us.
I left my planning age alone as well. Since I'm only 52 now I don't think adding another year or two will make too big a difference anyway.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #196
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice, increased my RIP score also.

On another note, I've entered in an entry under 'Additional Income Sources' for my pension and don't see a way to add in COLA increases. Any suggestions?
dand76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by dand76 View Post
Nice, increased my RIP score also.

On another note, I've entered in an entry under 'Additional Income Sources' for my pension and don't see a way to add in COLA increases. Any suggestions?
When you set up you pension in RIP, there is a box to click to indicate if it is a cola or non cola payment.
Find the Income section in your RIP and location your pension, click edit and make the adjustment. You should be good.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:34 PM   #198
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
When you set up you pension in RIP, there is a box to click to indicate if it is a cola or non cola payment.
Find the Income section in your RIP and location your pension, click edit and make the adjustment. You should be good.
Nwsteve
Thanks for the response but just not seeing a box mentioning COLA. There's a check box that that says 'Adjust to future dollars' which the description says is:
--------------
"Checking this box makes it so that this income source is valued at the time you expect to receive it for the purposes of your retirement analysis, accounting for inflation and the number of years until you reach the age at which you expect to begin receiving it. Otherwise, your analysis will reflect this income source valued in today's dollars."
--------------
This seems to just increase the value by some inflation amount up until the date I start receiving payments from the pension.

I was hoping for a place where I could enter in a COLA percentage, such as 1.5%, that my estimated increase will be.

My 'Income type' is Joint and Survivor Pension'. I checked all the other Income types and didn't see anything about COLA.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding or, as my wife just reminded me, it's time for us to go for our annual eye exams.
dand76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:25 PM   #199

When you log in, it does give you the notice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FidelityAnnouncement.JPG (69.5 KB, 19 views)
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:54 PM   #200
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dand76 View Post
There's a check box that that says 'Adjust to future dollars'

This seems to just increase the value by some inflation amount up until the date I start receiving payments from the pension.
From what I have seen, the 'Adjust to future dollars' option does cause income to adjust with inflation throughout retirement. Selecting this shows income flat across the Retirement Analysis bar chart when viewed in today's dollars (retaining its value over time by keeping pace with inflation), or increasing when viewed in future dollars. Unselecting the option shows the income decreasing when viewed in today's dollars (becoming less valuable) or flat when viewed in future dollars. You can change the view of the Retirement Analysis chart using the settings gear.
Done is offline   Reply With Quote