Join Early Retirement Today

Fidelity S&P 500 Index Fund Recommendation
Old 04-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Fidelity S&P 500 Index Fund Recommendation

I am going to discontinue my Fidelity Portfolio Advisory Service for my IRA, what is a good Index fund to put the IRA into at Fidelity? I am 54.
murphearlyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Um, well, there's the Fidelity 500 Index Fund...low ER open-ended mutual fund. That's a pretty open-ended question, though.

In my Fid accts I balance between FXAIX (S&P 500) and FXNAX (bond index).
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
A correct answer would depend upon knowing lots more information. As what would be good for you could be terrible for another person.

So read my answer, then read some books on investing for the long term.

Basically over your entire investment portfolio you can get by with 3 funds
All US stocks 50% (example: FSKAX is Fidelity total Market index fund)

All foreign 15%
All bonds 35%

I'll leave it up to you to find the others, and to adjust the percentages to what you are comfortable with.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:39 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I like the FZROX - Total Market fund with zero fees as my majority portion of my equity exposure. The FXAIX - S&P 500 as mentioned above is another choice which has 1.5 bps fund fees.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:56 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Agree with other posters. S&P 500 is a sector fund. People can get by with it because it is 80% of the US market cap, but it misses mid-cap, small-cap, and REITs. No reason to buy any sector(s) if you can buy them all.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #6

If you prefer an ETF comparable version of FXAIX (S&P 500), then you can get IVV at Fidelity too.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:22 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphearlyretirement View Post
I am going to discontinue my Fidelity Portfolio Advisory Service for my IRA, what is a good Index fund to put the IRA into at Fidelity? I am 54.
Good decision. As you can see in your other thread, it appears that this is the correct choice.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Agree with other posters. S&P 500 is a sector fund. People can get by with it because it is 80% of the US market cap, but it misses mid-cap, small-cap, and REITs. No reason to buy any sector(s) if you can buy them all.
I disagree. I don't see an S&P fund fund as a sector fund. It has multiple sectors. It also is a large cap, not all cap fund. But the OP wanted a S&P500 fund
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I would buy Fidelity Total Market index instead of just the S&P500 index. And are you going for 100% equity allocation in your IRA or do you want bonds as well? Fidelity US bond index fund can fulfill that role.

How many years before you need to draw on your IRA for retirement income?
Old 04-21-2019, 04:29 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
I disagree. I don't see an S&P fund fund as a sector fund. It has multiple sectors. It also is a large cap, not all cap fund. But the OP wanted a S&P500 fund
Well, US Large Cap is considered to be a sector by, among others, S&P, Bloomberg, and Morningstar.

There are are lots of ways to slice the market pie into sectors, size and geography are common ones.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Well, US Large Cap is considered to be a sector by, among others, S&P, Bloomberg, and Morningstar.

There are are lots of ways to slice the market pie into sectors, size and geography are common ones.
OK. I looked at morning star and IVV come use as a core S&P fund. XLI comes up as a sector fund. I search is IVV a sector fund and don't see confirmation. Can you direct me to where this info is?

To me this seems to be like saying VO is a sector which it is not. It invests in a style box which contains many sectors.
I may be missing it, but I looked at morningstar and blumburg and did not find confirmation that they are sector funds. Can you direct me to that info?
Old 04-21-2019, 05:10 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
OK. I looked at morning star and IVV come use as a core S&P fund. XLI comes up as a sector fund. I search is IVV a sector fund and don't see confirmation. Can you direct me to where this info is?

To me this seems to be like saying VO is a sector which it is not. It invests in a style box which contains many sectors.
I may be missing it, but I looked at morningstar and blumburg and did not find confirmation that they are sector funds. Can you direct me to that info?
Sorry. Life is too short to argue about something like this. You don't consider US Large Cap to be a sector? Fine.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:42 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Only investopedia can solve this.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:30 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphearlyretirement View Post
I have FXAIX as my IRA's stock fund. There was a merger into this fund from FUSVX which was another S&P500 fund. I also have an investment grade bond fund in my IRA.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:58 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I like the FZROX - Total Market fund with zero fees as my majority portion of my equity exposure. The FXAIX - S&P 500 as mentioned above is another choice which has 1.5 bps fund fees.
Never pay Wall Street! Brand new FNILX Zero Fee Large Cap saves $300 every year on a one million dollar portfolio over the .03% I also pay at Schwab. Will be moving some more accounts to Fidelity. FREE and FIREd at last.

in case you haven't been following very recent developments in this land of new "freedom", here are the other two completely free funds at fidelity FYI:

FZROX broad market
FZIPX. Mid and Small Cap
54andchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:12 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Standard and Poors defines their S&P 500 thing like this:
Quote:
The S&P 500® is widely regarded as the best single gauge of large-cap U.S. equities. There is over USD 9.9 trillion indexed or benchmarked to the index, with indexed assets comprising approximately USD 3.4 trillion of this total. The index includes 500 leading companies and captures approximately 80% coverage of available market capitalization.
ref: https://us.spindices.com/indices/equity/sp-500

For that reason, I'll continue to call the index an index, and the sub-categories of the index, "sectors." I couldn't find any references which call the S&P 500 a "sector."
Old 04-22-2019, 04:16 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54andchange View Post
Never pay Wall Street! Brand new FNILX Zero Fee Large Cap saves $300 every year on a one million dollar portfolio over the .03% I also pay at Schwab. Will be moving some more accounts to Fidelity. FREE and FIREd at last.

in case you haven't been following very recent developments in this land of new "freedom", here are the other two completely free funds at fidelity FYI:

FZROX broad market
FZIPX. Mid and Small Cap
Zero is a nice rate. I wonder if they will go to negative bps someday, and pay you to stash your future on their computers?

If Bogle were alive, would he transfer his wealth to FZROX?
Old 04-22-2019, 06:59 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54andchange View Post

FZROX broad market
FZIPX. Mid and Small Cap
Umm, FZROX is clearly mentioned in my post.....
Old 04-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Umm, FZROX is clearly mentioned in my post.....
Go look at his actual post! He even quoted you! So I would say he noticed.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #20

Quote:
There is an entire sub-sector in the S&P500 for REITS, Certainly is an included sector
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/re...ost-2018-03-28

Company Name Ticker Entrance Date
S&P 500
Some of the companies are:
AIMCO AIV 3/13/2003
Alexandria Real Estate Equities ARE 3/20/2017
American Tower Corp. AMT 11/16/2007
AvalonBay Communities AVB 1/9/2007
Boston Properties BXP 3/31/2006
Crown Castle International CCI 3/14/2012
Digital Realty Trust DLR 5/17/2016
Duke Realty Corporation DRE 7/26/2017
Equinix, Inc. EQIX
Equity Residential EQR 11/1/2001
Essex Property Trust ESS 4/1/2014
Extra Space Storage EXR 1/15/2016
Federal Realty Investment Trust FRT 1/29/2016
HCP, Inc. HCP 3/31/2008
Host Hotels & Resorts HST 3/19/2007
Iron Mountain IRM 1/5/2009
Kimco Realty Corporation KIM 4/3/2006
Macerich MAC 5/8/2013
Mid-America Apartment Communities, Inc. MAA 12/1/2016
Prologis PLD 7/16/2003
Public Storage, Inc. PSA 8/18/2005
Realty Income Corporation O 4/6/2015
Regency Centers REG 3/2/2017
SBA Communications Corp. SBAC 9/1/2017
Simon Property Group SPG 6/25/2002
SL Green Realty Corp. SLG 12/23/2008
UDR UDR 3/4/2016
Ventas, Inc. VTR 3/4/2009
Vornado Realty Trust VNO 8/11/2005
Welltower, Inc. HCN 1/30/2009
Weyerhaeuser WY 3/31/1964
There is of course several ETF's that actually mimic the S&P500 REIT sector and Invesco has a ETF that uses equal weight, which is different from the marketcap approach.

EWRE
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote