Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2018, 07:44 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
+1

It's a ripoff. There was valid a reason for it in 1993. Those physical packages were replaced with reusable bits long ago.
The transaction fee is due to Vanguard not having a No Transaction Fee arrangement with Fidelity as some other higher ER mutual fund companies have. Vanguard doesn't want to push the extra costs of dealing with external brokerages onto their direct clients. It's Vanguard's choice.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2018, 07:58 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The transaction fee is due to Vanguard not having a No Transaction Fee arrangement with Fidelity as some other higher ER mutual fund companies have. Vanguard doesn't want to push the extra costs of dealing with external brokerages onto their direct clients. It's Vanguard's choice.
Indeed, it is a choice. At this point in time the cost is less than a rounding error, but it's a choice.

I understand the Vanguard mentality, they're easily the most cost effective fund organization I've ever been in. Perhaps they're not for everyone but they're the best at what they do for the 80% that fit their model.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:05 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Indeed, it is a choice. At this point in time the cost is less than a rounding error, but it's a choice.

I understand the Vanguard mentality, they're easily the most cost effective fund organization I've ever been in. Perhaps they're not for everyone but they're the best at what they do for the 80% that fit their model.
The transaction fee for buying a Vanguard Investor class fund through Fidelity is $75. No charge for selling. No access to Admiral class shares either.

That $75 fee is a little too large to consider it a rounding error in comparison to the ultra low ERs of index funds. Maybe if you bought all at once and never rebalanced - but that is not typically how people operate.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:31 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

FIDO dropping costs again

Like several here, I have assets with both firms. Each offers certain advantages the other lacks. One disadvantage to Fido, for me anyway, is their ongoing lack of index balanced funds other than FFNOX (Fidelity Four-in-One, 85/15 AA the last I looked) and their target date funds (the index series, that is). Nothing along the lines of Vanguard's Life-Strategy family or Wellesley/Wellington for instance. (Ok, I realize W/W are managed.) And yes, I know...folks can "build" their own from Fido's index funds. But not everyone wants to for various reasons.
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:41 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The transaction fee for buying a Vanguard Investor class fund through Fidelity is $75. No charge for selling. No access to Admiral class shares either.

That $75 fee is a little too large to consider it a rounding error in comparison to the ultra low ERs of index funds. Maybe if you bought all at once and never rebalanced - but that is not typically how people operate.
Sorry we're not talking about the same thing in regard to rounding. The fee that should be passed on is about .002 cents. The fact they charge $75 is a business decision on the part of the fund company.

At one time the fee made sense. After certain technology was developed, it is a ripoff(think I'm repeating myself).
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:44 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sorry we're not talking about the same thing in regard to rounding. The fee that should be passed on is about .002 cents. The fact they charge $75 is a business decision on the part of the fund company.

At one time the fee made sense. After certain technology was developed, it is a ripoff(think I'm repeating myself).
Vanguard clearly wants you to buy their funds directly.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:13 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Vanguard clearly wants you to buy their funds directly.

I buy ETF’s rather than funds so wasn’t aware of this. The VG ETF’s cost $4.95 to buy. That’s the rounding error I was referring to.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:08 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
...Best of both worlds is VG funds or ETF’s within a Fido account. All the perks of Fido’s superior service with the lower costs/marginally better performance of VG products.
Quote:
High transaction fees messes that up.
In fairness, Scuba said "VG funds or ETFs." Your statement is only true for mutual funds.

We own Vanguard and iShares ETFs at Fidelity. Best of both worlds, as Scuba said. They are all ultra-low ER index funds. I make 2-3 trades per year on average, usually for some combination of rebalancing, tax loss harvesting, and HSA contribution. iShares ETFs trade for free, while Vanguard is $4.95. So my average annual commission cost is about the same as a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Very small price for access to the excellent tools and service that Fidelity offers.