Join Early Retirement Today

Filing State Taxes Online
Old 03-25-2020, 05:11 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Filing State Taxes Online

How do others file their state taxes and how well does it work?

I live in MD and we have a free online process called iFile. I enter my data manually after completing my 1040 using HRBlock. I submitted my state return on Sat afternoon and my refund is in my account at 6AM on Weds. I think itís great.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2020, 07:04 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I filled out our PA with TurboTax, but have to mail the forms. DH is part of an LLC (family farm in OR) that issues a federal form K-1, but no PA version of the K-1. Therefore the whole return must be mailed.

I filled out the non-resident OR income tax using the fillable pdf, then printed and mailed.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:13 AM   #3

I've been using OLT the past few years to file both my fed and state (AZ) taxes at the same time, has worked well for me. Most of the time I owe money, it usually takes less than a week for the withdrawal to hit.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:21 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

New York's free fillable pdf forms can be completed pretty easily because the main form (IR-201) does the calculations automatically. I still print them out and mail them in. (For 2019, I couldn't e-file even if I wanted to because my income was over their maximum for free e-file.)
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:28 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I printed out the VA state taxes from Turbo Tax and have like 15 pages to send in. I owe $$ from Roth conversions last year so I'm waiting till 1 May or so and send in a paper check. Yes, I found an old book of checks for this purpose. Didn't check this year, but previously VA required lots of data entry to file on-line and then charged you a fee to pay with a credit card. Since I get frustrated with the VA cut already I can't pay even the few dollars more for the honor of sending them $$.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:35 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Illinois did not have the forms available yet to file online when I think I checked yesterday. No expected date of readiness either, just an offer to email me when it happens.

Turbo tax does the state calculations with the package I buy (premiere I think) but charges additional for the online filing. I have printed and filed paper, but the state lost my daughters return when we did that (they cashed her check) and they delayed paying refunds a few months in the past.

So together the state and turbotax seem to collude to strongly suggest if not require ditital filing. Thank goodness no Illinois bureaucrat has even been jailed for corruption and taking a bribe....
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready-4-ER-at-14 View Post
Illinois did not have the forms available yet to file online when I think I checked yesterday. No expected date of readiness either, just an offer to email me when it happens.

Turbo tax does the state calculations with the package I buy (premiere I think) but charges additional for the online filing. I have printed and filed paper, but the state lost my daughters return when we did that (they cashed her check) and they delayed paying refunds a few months in the past.

So together the state and turbotax seem to collude to strongly suggest if not require ditital filing. Thank goodness no Illinois bureaucrat has even been jailed for corruption and taking a bribe....

I used TT too. My version included 1free federal e-file but no state free file. I e-filed my federal return. I also printed out the IL tax and used it to file online. IL online tax filing was open for business a week ago. You might try filing instead of trying to download the forms.
CRLLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:04 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
I used TT too. My version included 1free federal e-file but no state free file. I e-filed my federal return. I also printed out the IL tax and used it to file online. IL online tax filing was open for business a week ago. You might try filing instead of trying to download the forms.
+1

In IL this is what I do , I find it helpful to have the printed H&R taxcut State return available, when doing the IL State online return, to make sure I don't miss anything.

IL online does do the return in an odd way (to me), but at least it's odd consistently year to year.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:04 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I found a link with a summary of what is available for various states. I know most of you know what is available in your home state, but I think many, many MD residents don't know about iFile or how fast they issue refunds. I expected a delay this year because the state is on lockdown, but it was just as fast as always.

https://www.mymoneyblog.com/free-onl...50-states.html
Old 03-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #10

I print out & snail mail as the paper/ink/postage is well less than TT's $19.95 charge for electronic filing. As we have to attach Fed return, postage was $3.
gerntz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #11

I have found Virginia’s State Fillable Forms to be easy enough to use that I’ve not found the need to pay extra for the state version of commercial software. I have to enter data from my 1040 manually, but since the state form is fairly simple that’s not a big deal. I, too, don’t want to pay a dime extra to pay by credit card so I print it out and mail a paper check.

Our governor has extended our due date by a month to June 1, but interest will still be due starting from the usual due date of May 1 unless the Legislature passes a bill.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:42 AM   #12

I use TaxAct ($70). Filed electronically on 4 March after K-1 came in. MD refund came in 10 March, Fed refund came in 17 March.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:43 AM   #13

I use TT and print and file on paper, always. I may use the "free" e-file for MILs return which I am preparing, particularly since she is in independent living and they are locked down.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:50 AM   #14
Administrator

I use H&R Block software to do the returns, then print out and file by mail, with a paper check for payment. I sent them in two weeks ago.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:55 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Another freebie with the iFile is that if you owe, you can file early and delay payment via direct debit on the due date. I haven't checked to see if they are changing the deadline, but I think they will be forced to follow IRS.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
How do others file their state taxes and how well does it work?

I live in MD and we have a free online process called iFile. I enter my data manually after completing my 1040 using HRBlock. I submitted my state return on Sat afternoon and my refund is in my account at 6AM on Weds. I think itís great.
i file illinois online via TurboTax.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:49 PM   #17

I'm in Colorado. I use turbo-tax to prepare the state taxes, but use the colorado tax site to submit the return. I have to enter the data manually, but it is quick, easy and free to file.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote