Filing State Taxes Online

jazz4cash

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
How do others file their state taxes and how well does it work?

I live in MD and we have a free online process called iFile. I enter my data manually after completing my 1040 using HRBlock. I submitted my state return on Sat afternoon and my refund is in my account at 6AM on Weds. I think it’s great.

I filled out our PA with TurboTax, but have to mail the forms. DH is part of an LLC (family farm in OR) that issues a federal form K-1, but no PA version of the K-1. Therefore the whole return must be mailed.

I filled out the non-resident OR income tax using the fillable pdf, then printed and mailed.

I've been using OLT the past few years to file both my fed and state (AZ) taxes at the same time, has worked well for me. Most of the time I owe money, it usually takes less than a week for the withdrawal to hit.

New York's free fillable pdf forms can be completed pretty easily because the main form (IR-201) does the calculations automatically. I still print them out and mail them in. (For 2019, I couldn't e-file even if I wanted to because my income was over their maximum for free e-file.)

I printed out the VA state taxes from Turbo Tax and have like 15 pages to send in. I owe $$ from Roth conversions last year so I'm waiting till 1 May or so and send in a paper check. Yes, I found an old book of checks for this purpose. Didn't check this year, but previously VA required lots of data entry to file on-line and then charged you a fee to pay with a credit card. Since I get frustrated with the VA cut already I can't pay even the few dollars more for the honor of sending them $$.

Illinois did not have the forms available yet to file online when I think I checked yesterday. No expected date of readiness either, just an offer to email me when it happens.

Turbo tax does the state calculations with the package I buy (premiere I think) but charges additional for the online filing. I have printed and filed paper, but the state lost my daughters return when we did that (they cashed her check) and they delayed paying refunds a few months in the past.

So together the state and turbotax seem to collude to strongly suggest if not require ditital filing. Thank goodness no Illinois bureaucrat has even been jailed for corruption and taking a bribe....

Illinois did not have the forms available yet to file online when I think I checked yesterday. No expected date of readiness either, just an offer to email me when it happens.

Turbo tax does the state calculations with the package I buy (premiere I think) but charges additional for the online filing. I have printed and filed paper, but the state lost my daughters return when we did that (they cashed her check) and they delayed paying refunds a few months in the past.

So together the state and turbotax seem to collude to strongly suggest if not require ditital filing. Thank goodness no Illinois bureaucrat has even been jailed for corruption and taking a bribe....

I used TT too. My version included 1free federal e-file but no state free file. I e-filed my federal return. I also printed out the IL tax and used it to file online. IL online tax filing was open for business a week ago. You might try filing instead of trying to download the forms.

I used TT too. My version included 1free federal e-file but no state free file. I e-filed my federal return. I also printed out the IL tax and used it to file online. IL online tax filing was open for business a week ago. You might try filing instead of trying to download the forms.

+1

In IL this is what I do , I find it helpful to have the printed H&R taxcut State return available, when doing the IL State online return, to make sure I don't miss anything.

IL online does do the return in an odd way (to me), but at least it's odd consistently year to year.

I print out & snail mail as the paper/ink/postage is well less than TT's $19.95 charge for electronic filing. As we have to attach Fed return, postage was $3.

I have found Virginia’s State Fillable Forms to be easy enough to use that I’ve not found the need to pay extra for the state version of commercial software. I have to enter data from my 1040 manually, but since the state form is fairly simple that’s not a big deal. I, too, don’t want to pay a dime extra to pay by credit card so I print it out and mail a paper check.

Our governor has extended our due date by a month to June 1, but interest will still be due starting from the usual due date of May 1 unless the Legislature passes a bill.

I use TaxAct ($70). Filed electronically on 4 March after K-1 came in. MD refund came in 10 March, Fed refund came in 17 March.:D

I use TT and print and file on paper, always. I may use the "free" e-file for MILs return which I am preparing, particularly since she is in independent living and they are locked down.

I use H&R Block software to do the returns, then print out and file by mail, with a paper check for payment. I sent them in two weeks ago.

Another freebie with the iFile is that if you owe, you can file early and delay payment via direct debit on the due date. I haven't checked to see if they are changing the deadline, but I think they will be forced to follow IRS.

How do others file their state taxes and how well does it work?

I live in MD and we have a free online process called iFile. I enter my data manually after completing my 1040 using HRBlock. I submitted my state return on Sat afternoon and my refund is in my account at 6AM on Weds. I think it’s great.
i file illinois online via TurboTax.

I'm in Colorado. I use turbo-tax to prepare the state taxes, but use the colorado tax site to submit the return. I have to enter the data manually, but it is quick, easy and free to file.

Back
Top Bottom