Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

FILL IN THE BLANKS.....if your not yet ER'ed
Old 08-23-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

FILL IN THE BLANKS.....if your not yet ER'ed

Short and simple....
What are your Lifestyle and Financial GOALS in order to reach FIRED (in today's dollar)?

1. I (We) wish to have $______/yr after tax to live on to support my (our) lifestyle in retirement.

AND

2. I (We) want to live in a primary residence worth __________, preferably in the city, town, of ____________.

for those who want more:
3. I (We) want to live in a secondary residence worth _________, preferably in the city, town of ____________.

To start, me (us) :

1. $75K - 100K/yr
2. $1M - 1.5M, Vancouver, BC Canada
3. $500K - 750K, Southern California (in the winter)

No discouraging comments please.....just want to hear your FIRE LIFESTYLE WISHES and GOALS.
nicolette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

125k St Louis
NA
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolette View Post
Short and simple....
What are your Lifestyle and Financial GOALS in order to reach FIRED (in today's dollar)?

1. I (We) wish to have $______/yr after tax to live on to support my (our) lifestyle in retirement.

AND

2. I (We) want to live in a primary residence worth __________, preferably in the city, town, of ____________.

for those who want more:
3. I (We) want to live in a secondary residence worth _________, preferably in the city, town of ____________.

To start, me (us) :

1. $75K - 100K/yr

No discouraging comments please.....just want to hear your FIRE LIFESTYLE WISHES and GOALS.
--
1. I'm there, but a little worried about the value of tomorrow's dollars.
2. I'm there, but may move to cheaper place five years down the road.
3. N/A
See my previous posts for details.

Hello, Nicolette, and welcome!
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:16 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

1. 65K
2. 200K, current residence overlooking the Niagara River, NY
3. rent 3 months in winter at various warm climate places in US.
hogtied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:29 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

1) 30K
2) 150K, somewhere in the south
3) N/A...that would entail cleaning and keeping up two homes! I would travel but rent.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:21 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
1) 30K
2) 150K, somewhere in the south
3) N/A...that would entail cleaning and keeping up two homes! I would travel but rent.
I'm already there with similar numbers.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:23 AM   #7

1) 100-110k
2) 1-1.2M Central Valley CA
3) Don't want it if it means extra years of work, 350k if the markets are kind enough to allow it (intermountain west)
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:25 AM   #8

1) 65K
2) 275K, St. Louis burbs.
3) Maybe a boat or RV.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:34 AM   #9

1) 40k
2) $ value of house doesn't matter - want to live in the area I live right now because everyone else I know in the world is right here - central NJ, USA - living elsewhere would be cheaper but I wouldn't know anyone.
3) N/A
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:08 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

$80-$100K before taxes
$300-$400K, tbd where, but medium or low COL, near big water, summers not too hot
May keep the boat (plan is the boat and associated expenses goes when we quit working), but no second home.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:32 AM   #11

Someone telling me not to write something discouraging in his/her first post makes me want to, well, write something discouraging!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2008, 08:02 AM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

25k (once mortgage is gone)
150k in GA or 100k in TN
N/A
makincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:16 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Hello, Nicolette. Thank you for your first post on the ER forum.

Might I suggest that you post in the "Hi, I Am" forum to tell us a little about yourself, and get to know us a little through your other posts before asking for our personal financial information? Some forum members have indicated to the Moderation Team that they are wondering about your motives, and I really don't have anything to tell them. Thank you!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

1) $70-80K / year (fondly we do hope)
2) will continue to live in our $700K house in Bethesda MD
3) no second house -- our luxuriation will be travel
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #15
Administrator

Hi there, welcome to the forum, please tell us about yourself.

FWIW, our plans are:

1. $75K - 90K/yr
2&3. plan to rent and stay mobile
Old 08-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Short and simple....

AND

for those who want more:

To start, me (us) :

1. $75K - 100K/yr

Sounds like a typical Marketing survey to me.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:34 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Sounds like a typical Marketing survey to me.
The Moderation Team has had some inquiries as to the motives of this first and (at present) only post of nicolette. This is why we have asked her to introduce herself in the "Hi, I am..." forum.

I know I am looking forward to learning more about her and her motives, and hopefully strike up some discussions with her.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi again....okay I'll post in Hi, I am forum. But to let everyone know, this is NO survey. I have been reading lots here and have found posts very inspiring and useful. We want to ER but from experience, it is much better having a lifestyle similar to when you're working (just without the work). For us this means being in a beautiful city with LOTS of amenities nearby. Small towns where there is cheaper housing is okay, but for us this is giving up alot as there are not enough amenities to keep us stimulated for the numerous years in retirement......LOTS of choices in restaurants, theatre, movies, sports venues, night life, etc. A population of approx 1-2M would be ideal. And in order to live in the city, particularly on the west coast, it takes more $. For us, the tradeoff is worth working until we get there. Having said this though, I definitely want to ER!!!!

I mentioned not to write any discouraging comments because we've really thought about what we want in retirement and didn't want anyone trying to persuade otherwise.
nicolette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #19

"I mentioned not to write any discouraging comments because we've really thought about what we want in retirement and didn't want anyone trying to persuade otherwise."

That is like telling a kid not to do something
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hi again....okay I'll post in Hi, I am forum. But to let everyone know, this is NO survey. I have been reading lots here and have found posts very inspiring and useful. We want to ER but from experience, it is much better having a lifestyle similar to when you're working (just without the work). For us this means being in a beautiful city with LOTS of amenities nearby. Small towns where there is cheaper housing is okay, but for us this is giving up alot as there are not enough amenities to keep us stimulated for the numerous years in retirement......LOTS of choices in restaurants, theatre, movies, sports venues, night life, etc. A population of approx 1-2M would be ideal. And in order to live in the city, particularly on the west coast, it takes more $. For us, the tradeoff is worth working until we get there. Having said this though, I definitely want to ER!!!!

I mentioned not to write any discouraging comments because we've really thought about what we want in retirement and didn't want anyone trying to persuade otherwise.
Hi, nicolette.

I think that for some (many?) of us, having "a lifestyle similar to when you're working" is not all that appealing. I know that personally, my location is mainly due to the fact that the job is here; many years ago I came here for the job, in other words.

Retirement gives us choices and options that we didn't have before.