Filling Income Brackets to Avoid IRMAA

The only thing I get confused about is the 5 year rule after you are already 59 1/2. I think you can withdraw contributions tax free, but you have to wait 5 years before you withdraw earnings within the account tax free. I guess they just go by balance? Don’t know.

If you are over 59.5, but your oldest Roth was opened less than 5 years ago, you can still withdraw, free of tax and penalty, all of your contributions and conversions. Only your earnings would be taxed, but there is no penalty.

The way they determine "contributions, conversions and earnings" is that your withdrawals are ordered. Your first withdrawals are deemed to count against contributions. After your withdrawals exceed your contributions over the years, they are deemed to count against conversions. After that is exhausted, finally, you are deemed to be withdrawing earnings. Very unlikely, IMHO, that one would encounter the tax after 59.5.

Attachments

• rothdisttibution.jpg
    rothdisttibution.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
If your old Roth is older than 5 years, you can forget about any 5 year rule. Even if you open a new Roth and put the money in it, o ruse the old Roth.

And if you are over 59.5.

I am under 59.5 and my oldest Roth is over 5 years old. However, I must still track the 5 year rule related to conversions.

Trust me. They've already thought of this.:(

Yea, adding "tax free" income like Roth withdrawals to MAGI calculations would be a sneaky/great way to increase stealth taxes* like IRMAA, SS taxation levels, and NIIT. They already add back "tax exempt" items like muni bond interest, so not a big leap.

*a term from retirement guru Bob Carlson.

Yea, adding "tax free" income like Roth withdrawals to MAGI calculations would be a sneaky/great way to increase stealth taxes* like IRMAA, SS taxation levels, and NIIT. They already add back "tax exempt" items like muni bond interest, so not a big leap.

*a term from retirement guru Bob Carlson.

IRMAA isn’t a tax, it’s a reduction of a subsidy.

IRMAA isn’t a tax, it’s a reduction of a subsidy.

IRMAA calculation is derived from IRS Form 1040, you know, a tax return. And the amount is based on your tax return MAGI and your tax filing status - single, MFJ, MSF. You can kid yourself all you want but it is part of our tax system - the very definition of a stealth tax. It is unfortunate that Congress has entwined health care with the income tax system, but it is a fact.

IRMAA calculation is derived from IRS Form 1040, you know, a tax return. And the amount is based on your tax return MAGI and your tax filing status - single, MFJ, MSF. You can kid yourself all you want but it is part of our tax system - the very definition of a stealth tax. It is unfortunate that Congress has entwined health care with the income tax system, but it is a fact.

You show how it is calculated, not what it is. IRMAA is a percentage of the Medicare premium. To sum, tax data is used to determine how much the subsidy should be reduced. That last part is hyperbole. Let’s move on and stop the thread hijack.

lawman,

Two lines of thoughts: first, congratulations on wanting to do your homework now to minimize your IMRAA impact later. I don’t begrudge you that at all.

Second, when I last evaluated 2022 IRMAA tiers for MFJ, the jump in costs into the second tier were roughly $1,500. Which was also roughly a 1% increase in effective tax rate. But it’s also a rounding error for dining out costs for many people at that income level. So is that $1,500 worth the work to avoid it?

Best regards,
Chris

Try Analysis with Income Strategy

I have been using Income Strategy to figure all this stuff out for me. It's cheep $20 per month and will do like 50,000 different strategy tests in a single run to tell you the best way forward for you. It's worth the $20 per month. The reason I keep it going is that the best strategy changes slightly over time. But at least give it a one month trial. It figures out all the issues of different tax status accounts and distributions, SS, Medicare, different tax scenarios. There is no way you or any advisor can actually figure this out without software. Every case is very different with too many factors to consider. Etc.

lawman,

Two lines of thoughts: first, congratulations on wanting to do your homework now to minimize your IMRAA impact later. I don’t begrudge you that at all.

Second, when I last evaluated 2022 IRMAA tiers for MFJ, the jump in costs into the second tier were roughly $1,500. Which was also roughly a 1% increase in effective tax rate. But it’s also a rounding error for dining out costs for many people at that income level. So is that $1,500 worth the work to avoid it?

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris, clearing the 2nd to 3rd IRMAA hurdle by $1 would have increased a Medicare premium by $1,460/person for 2022. For a married couple that would be $2900+. In my opinion that is something to avoid.
Even if it takes me 10 hours to figure out how to avoid our IRMAA, my payback rate is $290+ per hour - tax free!

BubbaChris, clearing the 2nd to 3rd IRMAA hurdle by $1 would have increased a Medicare premium by $1,460/person for 2022. For a married couple that would be $2900+. In my opinion that is something to avoid.
Even if it takes me 10 hours to figure out how to avoid our IRMAA, my payback rate is $290+ per hour - tax free!

Thanks for the reminder that I should slow down when reviewing analysis I did months ago. With doubling the impact for MFJ, that’s still a 2% hit to effective tax rate. This assumes you end up well over the threshold for that next tier.

We’re still in the mode of managing MAGI for ACA credits, which are close to 10x the impact when compared to IRMAA.

Best regards,
Chris

In our case it’s generally IRMAA levels now (for 1 year) versus higher ongoing taxes in the future which could easily swamp the one year IRMAA sacrifice.

That takes a lot of work to figure out every year for us as our income is very unpredictable.

We pay IRMAA every year, it’s just a question of which tier. Just one of us on Medicare at this point.

For 2022 our taxable income dropped quite a lot and 2024 would have been the first year with no IRMAA. However, I took the opportunity to sell a couple of funds that tend to have higher distributions while the markets were down. So that put us in the first IRMAA category for 2024, still lower than any year so far. And reduces distributions generated by our taxable investments in the future.

Last edited:
...clearing the 2nd to 3rd IRMAA hurdle by $1 would have increased a Medicare premium by $1,460/person for 2022. For a married couple that would be $2900+. In my opinion that is something to avoid.
Yes, going over any IRMAA cliff by $1 is something to avoid.

Whether it is Worth pushing through...IRMAA cliffs (i.e., going well beyond $1 over) is a different question.

Yes, going over any IRMAA cliff by $1 is something to avoid.

Whether it is Worth pushing through...IRMAA cliffs (i.e., going well beyond $1 over) is a different question.
We perform Roth conversions to fill the gap to the next (expected) IRMAA hurdle. It takes some work to track this, but the hourly wages for the work are good.
I expect nothing but higher tax rates in the future with the huge and growing Federal Deficit so Roth conversions are timely at this point.

Back
Top Bottom