Final Return for deceased

RetireBy90

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Dear mom (DM?) passed last year and as here executor I have to file a final tax return. I'm sure others have done this already and looking for any insights you can provide. I do have mom's license so I can provide license info for E-File. She had income of about $13K and SS of abut $5K. Seems her SS won't be taxed due to low income. Her tax withheld is more than due so a refund will be due.

Found these links:
Filing the Final Return(s) of a Deceased Person

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/smal...ling-the-final-returns-of-a-deceased-taxpayer

Form 1310 Statement of Person Claiming Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1310.pdf

Turbo Tax has form 1310 so that shouldn't be a problem with E-File.

Couple questions I still have
1) Can I just use TT to E-File and enter her license info when submitting ?
2) Seems I can just have the refund deposited to my account and then distribute it to her heirs as will directs ?

Thanks for any insights and questions I have not proposed.

Sounds good. This is exactly what I did with my dads final return.

I should note that I never fill out the drivers license information as it's voluntary for the few states that I have to file. But, if you have the info, then I guess go ahead.

Make sure to mail in the document (letter from probate court, court order, etc.) saying you are the executor, as detailed in the IRS instructions. I failed to do that and IRS sat on the refund and didn’t bother to tell me why until I finally met with them in person.

Make sure to mail in the document (letter from probate court, court order, etc.) saying you are the executor, as detailed in the IRS instructions. I failed to do that and IRS sat on the refund and didn’t bother to tell me why until I finally met with them in person.

In my situation, there was a will but no probate, so nobody was court appointed. So, I selected Box C in Section I and filled out Section II.

In my situation, there was a will but no probate, so nobody was court appointed. So, I selected Box C in Section I and filled out Section II.

Did you also have to mail in or E-File with tax program ?
Thanks

Thanks PatrickA5, that is my plan then, even though your response was post 666 :)

Back
Top Bottom