Join Early Retirement Today

Finally Contributing to Stable Value Fund
Old 04-14-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Finally Contributing to Stable Value Fund

I have a little more than 2 years before I retire at age 50. Will be doing substantially equal payments from my 401k as part of my income.

Currently the funds are invested in 90% stocks and the rest in bonds. I have never contributed to the stable value fund.

Today I changed future contributions to be 100% stable value fund. So over the next couple years the stable value fund should have about $60,000 (includes matching funds).

The overall allocation when the SEPP begin will be 83% stocks/9% Bonds/8% Stable Value.

Just wanted to run this by all you smart folks for comments since this is new to me (and make sure I am not too far off the straight and narrow path).

Edit: The above will be about half our income the other half will come from pensions, house sale, etc.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

You know the mantra around here: Everyone's situation is different.

For a while there, I was splitting my nonstock portion between the total bond fund and the stable value fund in my 401(k). It seemed a good idea at the time. But when the stable value fund return dropped considerably and the long-promised higher interest rates didn't materialize, I gave up on that approach. So much for my tweaking. I now plan to just stick to 60/40.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm using a stable value fund as the 3rd tier for a cash-like repository as an emergency fund.

The other tiers (years 1 and 2) are money-market fund/CDs and I-bonds.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:24 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

What interest rate is your stable value fund paying? If it's less than the inflation rate, then you're money is guaranteed to loose value. If I were in your situation, I would have 60% go towards stocks and 40% towards the stable value fund.
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've got about 40% of my k money in a stable value fund - it's been getting somewhere between 2 and 5% over the years (closer to 2% now) and it has a duration of almost zero - I like it - all my new money (since 2007) goes into an allocation of about 65/15/20