Join Early Retirement Today

Finally made it - Two comma club
Old 04-20-2016, 04:17 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Pretty big day here in the YeahNo household. Of course I can't share this with many people in "real life" so wanted to share it here. It has been a long road to get here. I've owned a manufacturing business for 10 years and have continuously lived below our means, worked my ass off for 8 of those years, kept lifestyle inflation at bay as much as possible, and just tried to do everything by the book. I've had a goal for awhile to hit it by 35 and I just barely did that (turn 35 this year).

While our business is worth much more than 1m on paper, I've always had a goal to reach 1m completely separate from our business assets as who knows if we'd ever realize the business worth (from a sale standpoint).

I am so thankful that David Bach visited one of my college courses and gave me his book, Automatic Millionaire. That is the beginning of a 15 year transition from broke college student to millionaire.

As others have stated, reaching the two comma is a some what muted celebration -- nonetheless I would definitely say just a bit more uncertainty and stress has been lifted off my shoulders.

Anyways....PRETTY SWEET!
YeahNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 04:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahNo View Post
I've owned a manufacturing business for 10 years and ... worked my ass off for 8 of those years
There's the problem right there. Those two years of coasting are a bad sign that you're not cut out for this. Shame on you!

Seriously though, that's wonderful! Take rightful pride in this huge milestone and treat yourself to a great dinner or whatever you consider a suitable treat. Congratulations!!!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:26 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good for you! Have a cocktail and a nice supper -

I was a millionaire twice, once before the crash of 2007 and then again after the recovery. Yup, I did nothing and it all came back and then some.

Congrats.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:55 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Woot! Woot! At 35! Congrats.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:16 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Many people are members of that club but only a few hit it at age 35. All your hard work and sacrifices have paid off. You should be proud of yourself!
littleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:24 PM   #6

Congrats !! Hard work and sacrifice have paid off. As one small business owner to another, I hope you are quietly proud of yourself and this milestone.

I chronicled the same milestone here (almost eight years ago I think) FYI, it took me about 6 years to double it. You'll do it faster no doubt !
Old 04-20-2016, 06:50 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the club.

Enjoy the moment, as the next comma will only be in our dreams.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:13 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Deleted

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-20-2016, 09:22 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you everyone! It is great to hear the encouragement. It's pretty unfortunate that one has to go through the journey without being able to tell anyone about it except for your wife. Feels great to be able to release it even if it is anonymously.

Hopefully the rule of thumb stays true and I'm able to hit the next million in 1/2 the time
Old 04-20-2016, 09:36 PM   #10

Congratulations! You have achieved this at a young age so I imagine you will continue to be prosperous. Welcome to the two comma club!
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:45 PM   #11

Congrats on the million at 35, but you must have given up on some things or sacrificed a lot. I hope you didn't give up too much of the fun stuff.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:31 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Congrats on the million at 35, but you must have given up on some things or sacrificed a lot. I hope you didn't give up too much of the fun stuff.
I honestly feel like I haven't. The first 3-4 years was of course stressful with the business, but it was a really exciting time and we were growing like crazy so the crazy hours didn't seem as long. My marriage definitely had some delayed repercussions from those long hours for a few years but I think overall it has helped my wife and I grow as a couple and individually.

We very much subscribe to the YMOYL (your money or your life) thought process. Essentially cut out all the fat and spend on targeted "high value" items. We've made some big purchases but those purchases have greatly increased our social life and/or adventures together. Also prior to purchasing I did a ton of research and they were bought right.

Another HUGE thing is that neither my wife or I go shopping....as in the sport of "shopping". She is just as frugal, if not more, than I am. This has helped us out immensely. I couldn't imagine going through this journey and having a spouse who was a spendthrift. It would certainly slow down the accumulation.

Starting young helped as well. Prior to starting the business, I worked for a large corporation for 3 years. This was my first job out of college. I still remember calling HR right away during my first week and telling them I wanted to max out my 401k as soon as I could. It was around $1k/month at the time which was a ton for a fresh grad that was making a ~40k salary.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:49 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

YeahNo, Congratulations on achieving the 2 comma club milestone at a young 35!
Best wishes to you as you continue your journey on to the next one.
Cheers.
Rickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:08 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Welcome to the club.

Enjoy the moment, as the next comma will only be in our dreams.
That's what DH told me - a thousand times more difficult!
Old 04-21-2016, 01:19 AM   #15

Congrats!
FI feels so good, even if not connected to ER.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:24 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations! It's awesome that you've done so by 35. My goal at that age was $100K. I didn't make it. In fact, it took me another 10 years. But once I hit that it only took another 9 years to reach the two comma club.

So I think it's certainly possible you could make the three comma club in another 15-20 years and still be young enough to enjoy it for a very long time.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
Congratulations! It's awesome that you've done so by 35. My goal at that age was $100K. I didn't make it. In fact, it took me another 10 years. But once I hit that it only took another 9 years to reach the two comma club.

So I think it's certainly possible you could make the three comma club in another 15-20 years and still be young enough to enjoy it for a very long time.

A billion? Talk about serious OMY.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:29 AM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

OMC...
Old 04-21-2016, 07:53 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats. very impressive at age 35. Perhaps a third comma is out of the realm of possibility for 99.9999% but adding another zero may be quite possible for you!
woodguy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodguy00 View Post
Congrats. very impressive at age 35. Perhaps a third comma is out of the realm of possibility for 99.9999% but adding another zero may be quite possible for you!
The eight digit club !