Join Early Retirement Today

Financial Magazines
Old 01-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Financial Magazines

I was just curious of what is the favorite of the 5 financial magazines: Forbes Fortune, Smart Money, Money and Kiplinger’s. Or if you would like introduce another. I seem to bounce back and forth.

Runnerr
runnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Financial Magazines
Old 01-17-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Field and Stream, Food and Wine, Sunset, Sporting News and for my wife, Oprah's magazine "O".

Seriously, I get better investing advice from those, except the Oprah one, than any other ones i've seen.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Economist. Treat yourself.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:18 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

MoneySense (Canadian) and Money. The only gripe I have about MoneySense is that it's only issued every two months
Old 01-17-2006, 02:48 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I susbscrbe to Kipliger's. I suspect I would get more out of it if I were more of a mutual fund investor, but it is readable and entertaining.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Better Investing

is easily the best of all those mentioned for investing purposes.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Better Investing

is easily the best of all those mentioned for investing purposes.
agreed, but it is mostly for investment clubs and it used to be a lot better.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:18 PM   #8

The Economist, hands down. All the rest are mostly filler material written to fill up the space between the ads.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:36 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

HMMM
I like - free - preferibly six month's to a year old - so I can get a good laugh at their advice(usually). Varies depending on the office I'm visiting - doc, dentist, eyes - even the tire store or barbershop.

heh heh heh heh

Long ago ?10+ yrs?? - it was Forbes.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:44 PM   #10

I like the free ones. You can read some financial magazines for free in their archives sections. I do that with a lot of magazines.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:50 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Last night on a Cramer repeat, the madman himself was bad-mouthing buy-and-hold...

Topic for the show: how to speculate...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:20 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
The Economist. Treat yourself.
Good intelligent writing unlike most American magazines.
Bad politics though - they hate my favorite President and they show it by their biased writing!
And not much financial information - it is general news magazine
dlhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:21 PM   #13

1) Kiplingers (by far, and it's cheap $12-15/year)

2) Money
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:44 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I occasionally buy a mag if something catches my eye while wandering through Barnes and Noble...

On the web, I read CNN/Money, The Economist, Forbes, Business Week, Marketwatch, CNBC, Yahoo Finance, and others that escape me...

And, of course, e-r org, raddr pages, and retireearly... 8)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:27 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Forbes is the only decent one IMHO....BizWeek is a lefty joke, Fortune isn't much better. Money is a good contrary indicator....Kiplinger isn't the best of the rest.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by david-in-SC
Good intelligent writing unlike most American magazines.
Bad politics though - they hate my favorite President and they show it by their biased writing!
And not much financial information - it is general news magazine
I've always thought they were rather impartial and balanced politically (and I'm on the right!). They do the best job of any major media source of maintaining a neutral stance in their writing. Sometimes they criticize Bush (or other world leaders) but their criticism is presented factually and serves to to inform the reader instead of propagandize and persuade the reader of how incompetent the target of criticism is.

If the financial information you seek is Hot $tock picks or Hot Mutual Fund$ then the economist is definitely the wrong resource. But check it out if you are interested in the global economy and markets and business world.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:57 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Funny, i always thought The Economist's politics were a little right of center, but also felt their comments were presented factually, with actual data, very little spin, and like justin felt that any criticism was well warranted.

Huh...factual information with verifiable supporting data and minimum spin...what an alien concept...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #18

I have had a subscription for 25+ years including whilst living in the UK and now the US. In the UK The Economist is very much a 'right'/conservative magazine. In the US they would be considered conservative in that they favor business development. For example they strongly favor free trade and have done so for 150 years now. But they will happily tear apart stupid conservative politicians, which is refreshing.

For economic data see the back of their magazine. Lots of data.

One thing they developed that I think simplifies an analysis of exchange rates is the Big Mac Index" which compares the cost of a Big Mac in most countries. Tells you almost immediately and most accurately whose currency is mispriced. (But not, unfortunately, when the inevitable correction will occur.)
Old 01-18-2006, 10:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
Funny, i always thought The Economist's politics were a little right of center, but also felt their comments were presented factually, with actual data, very little spin, and like justin felt that any criticism was well warranted.

Huh...factual information with verifiable supporting data and minimum spin...what an alien concept...
Maybe a touch right of center, in that they assume their reader accepts "economics" as the framework in which the world works. To that extent, many of their articles are implicitly or explicitly economics-based (or touch on economic aspects of the underlying story). As opposed to the typical left (or right!) leaning magazine that ignores economic realities in favor of editorialization.

When I first discovered the Economist, it was like a breath of fresh air. No need to figure out what their political take is on things in order to interpret their articles and get at what the truth probably is.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:53 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Now, if it didnt take me a month to finally get around to finishing each issue... :P