Financial Samurai Can't Afford FIRE Anymore

Even mr money mustache used creative accounting classifying his travel expenses as business saying he traveled to speak. But when he went to visit family in Canada that wasn’t business. That and a few other things raised his yearly spending from 25 to 40k. I also wonder if it contributed to his divorce. He used to post his yearly spending but quit a few years ago.

+1. I don't see his thrice weekly posts indicating he is going back to work. If he does it will be with a contract and an equity kicker, most likely in an advisory capacity. His passive income from investments is augmented handsomely by income from his blog. He is killing it. He and his wife are currently bidding on a larger home in SF with a view, slightly better than the view that they have now in Pacific Heights. They recently sold a home that they had been renting out for a huge profit. They also own a home in Lake Tahoe. Alternately they are keeping their eyes on ocean view property in Hawaii as an alternative to living in SF. His parents, retired State Dept dignataries, live in HI as well, thus their interest in relocating to HI.

Wow...thanks for the insight. I have read a few of his blog entries, but with limited time I don't spend much time on it when I can be doing something else more productive. But, it's eye opening in that he really has little business trying to "guide" the average Joe. He lives in La La Land, for sure.

Would it be attractive to hire a guy in 2020 who has a publicly announced goal of retiring in 2022?

Would it be attractive to hire a guy in 2020 who has a publicly announced goal of retiring in 2022?

Yea, that's what I was thinking. Hasn't worked, aside from his blog, for the last 7 years, to boot. And I don't think he looking for an entry level position.

lol It is always a problem of high cost areas, and in particular California, that FIRE is not achievable without a lot of income. I mean really California has a 13.5% state income tax and in some areas a 12.5% sales tax. Add in exorbitant property taxes and it becomes unmanageable. I love SF but could never live there. I am a native Californian and I realized early I could never retire there. The same for many other high cost areas like NYC, Boston, DC etc. When we retired we were living in NoVa in the DC area. I also had a house in Hilton Head which was rented at a negative (what I got out of my second divorce). After Katrina our Hurricane insurance shot us up to $7k a year for insurance and our property tax was an additional $6k. So, I was paying through the nose for someone else to enjoy our house. It was obvious this was not going to meet our needs for retirement with an annual cost of $13k a year just for the privilege of living on Hilton Head Island. So, we dumped that. We could afford to live out in the Shenandoah Valley but SWMBO was not to pleased with that idea. I also had 65 acres up in the mountains in NC which I had planned to retire to but it was 1 hour from any shopping so again SWMBO was not pleased with this either. I sold those properties as well as our rentals in NoVa and we moved to Europe where she is very happy.

We decided that foreign travel was important so moved to Central Europe for that reason. We chose a country that has low cost living, low crime, high work ethics, zero property tax, and good food quality. Is it perfect? No, but I haven't found anywhere else better. But, you can live well on $2k a month if you own your home outright. We make at least 5 trips a year some close in so we can drive and others further out like China or Thailand. We go to Moscow usually once a year as well for family or meet up in Israel instead or they all come here to Hungary which is a lovely place. Speaking of travel this guy was doing a lot of travel. In my experience if you like to travel comfortably and enjoy good food the cost is going to average around $10k a week. No matter how we do it the cost averages out the same. So, 20 trips is roughly $200k so his problems are obvious and the result is no big surprise.

From the CNBC article

But I had been with my firm for a consecutive 11 years; I was sick of the the long hours, the office politics, the pointless meetings and the never-ending stress (which only got worse after the 2008 financial crisis).

I don't know about his industry but I'd rather hire somebody else. Maybe with a boat payment in addition to the mortgage. :)

lol It is always a problem of high cost areas, and in particular California, that FIRE is not achievable without a lot of income. I mean really California has a 13.5% state income tax and in some areas a 12.5% sales tax. Add in exorbitant property taxes and it becomes unmanageable. I love SF but could never live there. I am a native Californian and I realized early I could never retire there. The same for many other high cost areas like NYC, Boston, DC etc. When we retired we were living in NoVa in the DC area. I also had a house in Hilton Head which was rented at a negative (what I got out of my second divorce). After Katrina our Hurricane insurance shot us up to $7k a year for insurance and our property tax was an additional $6k. So, I was paying through the nose for someone else to enjoy our house. It was obvious this was not going to meet our needs for retirement with an annual cost of $13k a year just for the privilege of living on Hilton Head Island. So, we dumped that. We could afford to live out in the Shenandoah Valley but SWMBO was not to pleased with that idea. I also had 65 acres up in the mountains in NC which I had planned to retire to but it was 1 hour from any shopping so again SWMBO was not pleased with this either. I sold those properties as well as our rentals in NoVa and we moved to Europe where she is very happy.

We decided that foreign travel was important so moved to Central Europe for that reason. We chose a country that has low cost living, low crime, high work ethics, zero property tax, and good food quality. Is it perfect? No, but I haven't found anywhere else better. But, you can live well on $2k a month if you own your home outright. We make at least 5 trips a year some close in so we can drive and others further out like China or Thailand. We go to Moscow usually once a year as well for family or meet up in Israel instead or they all come here to Hungary which is a lovely place. Speaking of travel this guy was doing a lot of travel. In my experience if you like to travel comfortably and enjoy good food the cost is going to average around $10k a week. No matter how we do it the cost averages out the same. So, 20 trips is roughly $200k so his problems are obvious and the result is no big surprise.

Property taxes are limited to 1% property value in California. They were locked in in 1978 with Prop 13, with limited increases. That is the main reason state income tax is so high. California income tax is a progressive tax, just like federal. For most it’s probably 8-9%, which is a lot. Marginal rates don’t hit until $400K income for a single.

His kid is 2 years old and he’s complaining about the S.F. school lottery system, which he hasn’t participated in yet.

Two stay-at-home parents do not need to send their kids to preschool. We sent our some to part-time preschool for socialization and language development.

His biggest problem is living in a city that is very expensive and not very child friendly. We moved to an area with top notch schools, lots of activities in theater and arts, several good colleges, a day trip away from NYC, Philly, Baltimore, and DC, horse ranches, a ski resort we can see from our bedroom window, and within 10 miles from the Appalachian trail.

He’s a fool if he thinks he has to send his kid to preschool. My home-schooled niece finished college in 3 years. I know other home-schooled kids whose parents take that job seriously and are quite advanced in their studies.

When I read about the preschool cost, as well as his ridiculous assertion that the school lottery leaves kids locked out of public schools, I realized that he thinks he’s a smart guy, but it comes across as ignorant.

His biggest problem is after the luster of ER wore off, he lost his sense of meaning in his life. Even with a child. Not a blog I would follow.

lol It is always a problem of high cost areas, and in particular California, that FIRE is not achievable without a lot of income. I mean really California has a 13.5% state income tax and in some areas a 12.5% sales tax. Add in exorbitant property taxes and it becomes unmanageable. I love SF but could never live there. I am a native Californian and I realized early I could never retire there.
Not exactly. I live in SF Bay Area and never made more than 60k a year. Actually I think I live quite well but only travel abroad 4×a year. And still live on only 50k a year. Gotta love Prop 13! Enabled me to FIRE at 52

After reading the CNBC article linked in the OP, I am struck by three things.

One, his plan to to “unretire” only through 2022, then retire once again. Two, he intends on shifting from treating his blog as a hobby to “monetizing it”, but still considers that retirement (sounds more like work to me).

Most of all, though, he was only “retired” for 7 years, and over than period the sp500 was up more than 2.5 times, yet his financial plan failed. And his new plan is to make money by working in finance and running a blog that gives financial advice?

+1

Old micro, we have never spent 10k/week on a trip and I bet many others can say the same.

Old micro, we have never spent 10k/week on a trip and I bet many others can say the same.

Same here.
Most I ever spent in a week was 6k for 2, but also haven't been to any real exotic destinations.

Yes that floored me too. I want to travel with them!
We have a lot of good fun, good food and good hotels on a fraction of that.

Curious, I wonder if being extremely frugal contributed to the divorce. The most we ever spent was 8k for 2 weeks in Italy. We are going to Europe for a month in August and I have half the hotels booked and averages are 100/night. I am thinking we can probably do the entire trip for 10k consider our flight only cost 580 each.

We usually budget $1000/day all in for our vacations.

We went pretty high end to Fiji and Australia for 2 weeks for about $15k total. I think we could’ve gotten to $10k/week by flying first class I suppose. But that was a honeymoon and we weren’t sparing expenses.

I was financially able to retire - but not prepared. So after almost a year of not working, and going nuts, I went back to work. A little over 1 year later, I was fine walking away (My job was being moved to another state so I wasn't leaving the company in a lurch).
Since everything is paid off, in a pinch, I can live just fine on $1,000/month. But since my retirement check is more than twice that, not even counting savings, that'll never happen.

I think it's a pretty safe bet to say we haven't yet spent 10k for a week's vacation. Never say never, but it's not a goal at this point.

Alright. He 'needs' 309k a year:confused: No. I live in the same area for much less. GS1 lives in the same zip code for 10% of that. But neither of these truths would help him sell his blog

Maybe. But all my friends who have had kids tell me the cost from birth to 21 is somewhere in the 500K range....college costs alone are insane....A kid is a big expense, I don't think that can be denied...

I doubt the average cost to raise a child is $500K. I'm sure it's possible to spend that much, but it's also possible to spend a lot lot less.

For example, my daughter is currently 28. The cost to raise her was: Daycare: $50K; College: $100K; All other costs: $100K. For a total of $250K. Some people won't have daycare and others may have college at near zero (local JC, local state university with tuition and books paid for with Pell Grants). I suppose the easiest way to run up the cost is go private school from K through 12.

Back
Top Bottom