Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Early in life my wildest dream was to be FI. I didn't have visions of extravagant living (yachts, horses, mansions, etc), just a middle class lifestyle with my own home. And that's what I've got.
I figured that out too. When I was working and I'd mention retiring early people usually give me something like "OH! Mr Millionaire, doesn't have to work." " You gonna have Jeeves the butler handle things?"

I was quite happy with my rather modest life in those days. eg Decent apartment. Practical car. No fashion sense. No expensive hobbies. I figured if I could just keep things as they were ....BUT SKIP THE WORK PART.... I didn't need to be "rich" just to retire.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Most of the folks that post here are financially successful because they lived below their means (LBYM) and invested in a balanced portfolio over a long period of time at Vanguard or other DIY investment company.

It's a simple formula, but difficult for some to follow over the long term.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I didn't have visions of extravagant living (yachts, horses, mansions, etc), just a middle class lifestyle with my own home. And that's what I've got.
A very astute observation. For those who have a long-term focus these things are impediments to reaching their vision of FIRE. For those who focus only on the short-term and keeping up with the Joneses these things are the vision and FIRE likely doesn't enter their minds until it's too late.

A long-term focus and the capacity for delayed gratification is paramount to reaching financial success for those who must work for it.
NoMoreJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

It is nice to see the common trait among those who reached FI is the LBYM. That is one thing that is under your control and living so is wisdom in action. The other thing that is nice to see on this thread is none of these folks are dreaming yachts etc. just a simple life. They have their priorities right!!
free2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

KCRW Presents: Lorde : NPR
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2020 View Post
It is nice to see the common trait among those who reached FI is the LBYM. That is one thing that is under your control and living so is wisdom in action. The other thing that is nice to see on this thread is none of these folks are dreaming yachts etc. just a simple life. They have their priorities right!!
Although I embrace the LBYM lifestyle as much as most folks here, I have no problem admitting that my wildest dreams in the past have included yachts, etc. I find it odd that some have never had dreams of financial success greater than they currently enjoy.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I find it odd that some have never had dreams of financial success greater than they currently enjoy.
I didn't say that. I had visions of a fancier house, car and travel. But I have the plebeian version so that's OK.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I didn't say that. I had visions of a fancier house, car and travel. But I have the plebeian version so that's OK.
Sorry if I misinterpreted what you and others are posting. Nothing wrong with the plebeian version. Personally I think it's ok to dream, or have had dreams, of greater financial success as long as one LBYM's.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I never could have imagined years ago my net worth would be what it is today.

I still get light headed when I see how well our plan is working thus far.

As for wildest dreams...I have them, but it's not about money.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

By the time I was 35, I decided I wanted to be able to say "***** it" if I wanted to and wasn't having fun anymore. So vacations were local, cars were used, restaurants were chains, and savings were important. I was also lucky enough to be scared out if the market before the big crash and was sitting 100% in cash when things fell thru the floor (strictly luck!)

That all enabled me at 57 to walk when the company I was with was taken over by Megacorp and things became just miserable.

Beyond my wildest dreams? Maybe if those dreams were when I was 34, living in a mobile home, with a bunch of credit card debt. By the time I was 35, it became a goal.
jflynn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Being the child of immigrants, FI was beyond in my wildest dreams... growing up my dreams were more like "survive to 18 and get to college so I can get out of this city for a while" . I was just hoping for a slightly better life than my parents did, and for most of my life I measured my dream were more that and so so much an FI target.

Despite all the math stating so, part of me still finds it hard to believe that I am FI, so it still seems a little like a wild dream.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

As for wildest dreams...I have them, but it's not about money.

Ditto.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I have posted the song "Via con me" (1981) by the suave Paolo Conte for the still romantic at heart. Perhaps it's worth repeating here.

I do not speak Italian; the following translation was found on the Web.

Via con me / Away with me

Via, via, vieni via di qui / Away, away, get away with me
Niente più ti lega a questi luoghi / Nothing more binds you to these places
Neanche questi fiori azzurri / Not even these blue flowers
Via, via, neache questo tempo grigio / Let's get away, not even this grey time
Pieno di musiche e di uomini che ti son piaciuti / Full of musics and people that you liked

It’s wonderful, it’s wonderful, it’s wonderful
Good luck my babe, it’s wonderful,
It’s wonderful, it’s wonderful, I dream of you…
Chips, chips, du-du-du-du-du

Via, via, vieni via con me / Away, away, get away with me
Entra in questo anore buio / Enter this dark love,
Non perderti per niente al mondo / don't get lost for anything in the world
Via, via, non perderti per niente al mondo / Away, away, don't get lost for anything in the world
Lo spettacolo d’arte varia di uno innamorato di te / The art spectacle differs depending on someone who is in love with you

It’s wonderful, it’s wonderful…

Via, via, vieni via con me / Away, away, get away with me
entra in questo amore buio pieno di uomini / Enter this dark love full of people
Cia, via, entra e fatti un bagno caldo / Away, away, enter and take a warm bath
C’è un accappatoio azzurro, fuori piove un mondo freddo / There's a blue bath gown (nearby), it rains a cold world outside

It’s wonderful, it’s wonderful…

NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:

+1

No one in my extended family had ever stayed on beyond age 16 at school, let alone gone to college, got a degree and earned enough to actually buy a house. I think I exceeded my parents' wildest dreams, even before I'd moved to America and paid for them to fly out and visit a few times.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I try to remind myself daily that being financially independent is not the same thing as being "independent." Being able to support myself in an American middle class lifestyle through passive investing is a great thing! I love it! But I am totally dependent on the continuity and stability of our society and economy.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Being the child of immigrants, FI was beyond in my wildest dreams... growing up my dreams were more like "survive to 18 and get to college so I can get out of this city for a while" . I was just hoping for a slightly better life than my parents did, and for most of my life I measured my dream were more that and so so much an FI target.

Despite all the math stating so, part of me still finds it hard to believe that I am FI, so it still seems a little like a wild dream.
+1

Being a first generation immigrant myself, I feel so lucky and blessed to be FI. Started with a negative net worth of $25000, loans to put myself thru college 25 years ago, it seemed like we were most of the time focused on paying bills. Did save to the max allowed in my 401K's, learned to live on the rest, LBYM, never charged anything to the CC that I could not pay at the EOM. Long story short, it seems like my sense of FI snuck up on us, just like that. I'd like to take credit for the FI but know I'm damn lucky relative to many others. It sure is nice to not worry about Finances but a nice family, great friends makes for much more than FI.
free2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

An excellent video about wealth.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:50 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Although I embrace the LBYM lifestyle as much as most folks here, I have no problem admitting that my wildest dreams in the past have included yachts, etc. I find it odd that some have never had dreams of financial success greater than they currently enjoy.
Sure, yachts and private jets are nice daydreams but I choose decades ago to work in law enforcement. No one goes into that line of work to get rich. Owning a yacht was never a goal.

All I wanted was a middle class lifestyle - decent but not grand home - reliable car and enough money so I could afford a brake job and didn't have to be out in the driveway in the snow doing it like when I was growing up. I have that and then some so I'm happy.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:58 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

I had very simple dreams, having stepped up to the plate with a couple of strikes, and feel like I hit a home run with how life unfolded vs my siblings. So yes, beyond my modest wildest dreams.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

So who is the guy famous for the quote "enough"?

ER'd 20 yrs now, LBYM has got me to the point where I use four dryer sheets(old forum joke) full strength to get the pet lint off my Pendleton shirts.

AND at age 70 I married a girl with her own 401k, pension and house.

A 50 year overnight success.

heh heh heh - but I do miss the 'cheap SOB' days once in a while.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote