Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2017, 11:04 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Cant fault you with your logic....But damnit I am getting old now, and I deserve one new car before I die!

Come on Mulligan, you can part with some of that money and buy a new car!!!


I have a friend who I convinced to buy a new car back in 1985... at the time he said he did not think he deserved a new car ....

Funny thing... he just bought his third new car a month ago A Toyota Camry that is really nice... so, 3 new cars in over 30 years is not going to break the bank....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I feel I have earned a New Car every 3 years, whether I need it or not. As a younger man I was always a car guy probably had over 200 different cars in my lifetime, from Old British sports cars Like Lotus' (about 10 differ ones of these), MGA, MGB, MGC, TR4, TR4a, TR6, Spitfire, Vitesse in my later more affluent years, Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin, BMW, Merc, Corvettes, Camaros and a lot of others too.

I am just not into the sports cars anymore like I used to be. I would like an Aston Martin Vantage, but that is totally impractical at my age and would just sit on a pedestal in the Garage most of the time, I may as well just get a Toy one and put it on a shelf in my study.

So I stick with getting a new one every 3 years and could not care less what it costs or whether it is a good or bad investment.

I have never spent $40k on travel though in any give year.

Just WOW.....

But, doing the math that makes you over 600 year old
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:10 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Florida's First Coast
Posts: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Just WOW.....

But, doing the math that makes you over 600 year old
Of course not all those were new, and not every 3 years, I had a few at the same time in my younger Days... LOL.
__________________
"Never Argue With a Fool, Onlookers May Not Be Able To Tell the Difference." - Mark Twain
ShokWaveRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 504
I think people don't always look at/evaluate safety in car financials. My current car cost $24.5k new in 2013 and included ABS, traction/stability control, tensioning seat belts, quarter offset impact protection, and side curtain airbags compared to the 2001 truck I was replacing. I feel much safer and know I have much better control to avoid incidents in the first place. Just because you can get/drive something 10 years old or more doesn't always mean it's the best decision. For that reason I don't have interest in owning cars past 10 years old no matter the economics. But I also bought a cheap car because I considered the time value of money.
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:36 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.mask View Post
I think people don't always look at/evaluate safety in car financials. My current car cost $24.5k new in 2013 and included ABS, traction/stability control, tensioning seat belts, quarter offset impact protection, and side curtain airbags compared to the 2001 truck I was replacing. I feel much safer and know I have much better control to avoid incidents in the first place. Just because you can get/drive something 10 years old or more doesn't always mean it's the best decision. For that reason I don't have interest in owning cars past 10 years old no matter the economics. But I also bought a cheap car because I considered the time value of money.
Can't argue your point of view. Rather than pass on my older vehicles (2005s) to my sons to try and get a few more years out of them (and cheaper insurance), I deliberately wished to get vehicles with at least curtain airbags for there use. Gotta find the balance between frugality and other criteria.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.mask View Post
I think people don't always look at/evaluate safety in car financials. My current car cost $24.5k new in 2013 and included ABS, traction/stability control, tensioning seat belts, quarter offset impact protection, and side curtain airbags compared to the 2001 truck I was replacing. I feel much safer and know I have much better control to avoid incidents in the first place. Just because you can get/drive something 10 years old or more doesn't always mean it's the best decision. For that reason I don't have interest in owning cars past 10 years old no matter the economics. But I also bought a cheap car because I considered the time value of money.

Not all the new bells and whistles are in every car... and from what I can see to get them you have to buy the top of the line and put in expensive technology packages...

Sure, I would not want to be driving around in my '95 Monte Carlo now, but my '04 Acura had as good of safety as some cars produced now (but, I totaled it so I do not have it anymore)...

And you can say what you said about almost any technology.... IOW, a newer computer is better than an older one... same for cell phone, TV, even some appliances... but that does not mean you get rid of the old for a few extra features unless the benefit is worth the extra cost... sometimes it is, but not always...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:10 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
GTFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
So, a new car for $20K to $21K after discount... on auto trader a 2014 with 13K miles for $19K, one with 53K miles for $16K... so, 53K miles is only $6 K cheaper... since that is about 1/3rd of the car I would want it to be closer to $12K to $13K....
Plenty of 2-3 year old Sonatas here for $13k with 36k miles or so, I see them in the paper all the time. That is my point, you're not eating 40-50% depreciation on less-popular cars.

I think all of us can agree that Toyondas etc. are better buys new in many areas but non-Japanese makes are much cheaper off-lease here in the ATL. Plenty of them around for 40% or so off of new price with less than 40k miles so lots of life left. Your area might not be as good for these.

I think people are way too hung up on Japanese brands, personally. There's not the huge gap in reliability or quality that there used to be.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:24 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
Plenty of 2-3 year old Sonatas here for $13k with 36k miles or so, I see them in the paper all the time. That is my point, you're not eating 40-50% depreciation on less-popular cars.

I think all of us can agree that Toyondas etc. are better buys new in many areas but non-Japanese makes are much cheaper off-lease here in the ATL. Plenty of them around for 40% or so off of new price with less than 40k miles so lots of life left. Your area might not be as good for these.

I think people are way too hung up on Japanese brands, personally. There's not the huge gap in reliability or quality that there used to be.

I was talking about the same level of car... the limited... you can buy the lower level cheaper new or used... the ratio is similar... I just looked and some are less than $12K...


Where I live there are MANY trucks... there are times when I am driving and look at 9 vehicles around me and they are all trucks... so I am only 10% of the traffic in a car.... then again, my DW has an SUV so we fit in...

The reliability of the cars are similar for the first 4 to 5 years and then they start to diverge... a 10 to 15 YO Toyota or Honda is much better than any domestic... from what I read by a lot...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:24 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Koolau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Leeward Oahu
Posts: 6,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The reliability of the cars are similar for the first 4 to 5 years and then they start to diverge... a 10 to 15 YO Toyota or Honda is much better than any domestic... from what I read by a lot...
I can confirm this (anecdotally) from personal experience. My 17 year old Buick has half the miles of my 18 year old Honda. The Buick is the bulk of my maintenance budget. YMMV
__________________
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:30 AM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
GTFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,113
It's all anecdotal.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Western NC
Posts: 2,885
Not really.

Consumer Reports compiles actual owner reports which identify trouble areas on different models.

There's also a website that judges long-term reliability based on owner surveys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
It's all anecdotal.
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4 year free car financing krldrummerboy FIRE and Money 6 02-21-2017 03:01 PM
Raw Land Financing bbuzzard FIRE and Money 15 11-29-2006 11:06 AM
New car, old car, same car? cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 74 06-15-2006 04:27 PM
A little too creative financing? farmerEd Other topics 0 03-20-2006 04:34 PM
Financing a car/car buying advice usc_et Young Dreamers 14 11-01-2005 11:59 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:26 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.