Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
One of the problems with paying cash is that on some deals you actually get a better price IF you finance... the last two cars I have purchased I have saved $2,000 total financing..
That was our experience too with the last car we bought. When the 1st payment was due I paid off the loan but I'm betting that doesn't happen often.

BTW, they didn't even ask about income verification - just the credit score was apparently enough.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2017, 12:05 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulvazell View Post
I don't remember the last time I bought a new car. We always buy low mileage used with some remaining factory warranty. Let someone else take the depreciation hit...

I know everybody says to buy used and not take the depreciation hit... but when I look at the cars I am willing to buy there IS no hit...

My last purchase was a Honda Pilot... I got a brand new one for less than what some dealers were selling a year old one with 12K miles....

When you look at Toyotas and Hondas the depreciation seems to suggest that the car is good for 150K to 200K miles... (which they probably are)... so a 3 year old car that has 36K miles is selling for 75% of a new one...

I would rather buy a new one and not worry that the car had a problem that was hidden...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It was no hit for us either. But my husband doesn't like luxury German cars. I think I spend about $1k-$2k per year per car.
I worry about buying a lemon, it will take so much energy and effort, stress is something I would like to avoid.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:38 PM   #24

Quote:
I know everybody says to buy used and not take the depreciation hit... but when I look at the cars I am willing to buy there IS no hit...

My last purchase was a Honda Pilot... I got a brand new one for less than what some dealers were selling a year old one with 12K miles....

When you look at Toyotas and Hondas the depreciation seems to suggest that the car is good for 150K to 200K miles... (which they probably are)... so a 3 year old car that has 36K miles is selling for 75% of a new one...

I would rather buy a new one and not worry that the car had a problem that was hidden...
A lot of folks say buy 2-3 year old used cars, not 1 year old. That's the sweet spot for off-lease deals. And more importantly, buy cars that are not popular at the time. BIG savings there no matter if you buy new/used or when you buy them. Recent new car example last month was Sonata Limiteds which could be had at $9k or so off of list because Hyundai wanted to clear inventory.

In the used market here there's a ton of Nissan Leafs for cheap, less than $10k for 2-3 year old cars that went for $20k+ new even with tax incentives. Almost all of these are off-lease and have less than 30k miles. Yeah it's an electric with limited range but those cars are hard to beat for local use. Could drive it at least 5-6 years until the battery degradation gets bad and come out ahead, it's a throwaway car with basically no maintenance. Super cheap to buy and drive because nobody wants them used and electricity is cheaper than gas.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:28 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I have never bought a new vehicle. I am 3 years into another used vehicle that is 8 years old. My last used car purchase I owned it 11 years. I am at the point now where I keep cars a long time. So next vehicle I buy will be a new one as I will keep it ten years. My thinking has gone to your way of thinking. Heck if interest rates are sub 2%, I might just get a 6 year loan and make payments instead of raiding my stash to pay it.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I have never bought a new vehicle. I am 3 years into another used vehicle that is 8 years old. My last used car purchase I owned it 11 years. I am at the point now where I keep cars a long time. So next vehicle I buy will be a new one as I will keep it ten years. My thinking has gone to your way of thinking. Heck if interest rates are sub 2%, I might just get a 6 year loan and make payments instead of raiding my stash to pay it.
We typically buy something 2-3 years old, with low mileage, say 25K. We also finance for 4 years but keep the car for 8 years and stagger the notes so that as one is paid off, the other is then replaced. That way we only ever have one car note and there is always a "newish" car in the stable for road trips. Each of our cars we keep for 8 years and they are typically 10 years old when we sell them. That program has worked great for us the last 30 years...
ulvazell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:46 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
A lot of folks say buy 2-3 year old used cars, not 1 year old. That's the sweet spot for off-lease deals. And more importantly, buy cars that are not popular at the time. BIG savings there no matter if you buy new/used or when you buy them. Recent new car example last month was Sonata Limiteds which could be had at $9k or so off of list because Hyundai wanted to clear inventory.

In the used market here there's a ton of Nissan Leafs for cheap, less than $10k for 2-3 year old cars that went for $20k+ new even with tax incentives. Almost all of these are off-lease and have less than 30k miles. Yeah it's an electric with limited range but those cars are hard to beat for local use. Could drive it at least 5-6 years until the battery degradation gets bad and come out ahead, it's a throwaway car with basically no maintenance. Super cheap to buy and drive because nobody wants them used and electricity is cheaper than gas.

Sure, lots of Leafs but that is because nobody wants them... supply and demand....

And you made my point on new cars... I would buy a Hyundai (I have 2) for $7K to $9K less than sticker... a slightly used one has not depreciated enough....

So, a new car for $20K to $21K after discount... on auto trader a 2014 with 13K miles for $19K, one with 53K miles for $16K... so, 53K miles is only $6 K cheaper... since that is about 1/3rd of the car I would want it to be closer to $12K to $13K....

Toyotas and Hondas can be even worse....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:06 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulvazell View Post
We typically buy something 2-3 years old, with low mileage, say 25K. We also finance for 4 years but keep the car for 8 years and stagger the notes so that as one is paid off, the other is then replaced. That way we only ever have one car note and there is always a "newish" car in the stable for road trips. Each of our cars we keep for 8 years and they are typically 10 years old when we sell them. That program has worked great for us the last 30 years...

Cant fault you with your logic....But damnit I am getting old now, and I deserve one new car before I die!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Totally Understand
Old 06-04-2017, 07:10 PM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Totally Understand

Quote:
Cant fault you with your logic....But damnit I am getting old now, and I deserve one new car before I die!
ulvazell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:35 PM   #30

If you think you are going to get 10 %.then if you own a house take out a monster home equity loan at maybe 4 % and its the same thing on a bigger scale. Me personally, i dont do this . I also dont open up accounts all over the city to get the $200-$300 opening new account bonus. I dont think its a strategy to really make serious money, There is another website called money mustache man or something, they would love your car idea.i have read posts by those people that they only take showers a few times a week to save on the hot water bill. I dont subscribe to that idea either.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:52 AM   #31

Quote:

And a nice one at that.
I'm 58 and I'll probably keep my 2014 Camry till 2022 or 62 yrs old. If I keep the future cars for 8 years each that means I'll probably only buy 3 more cars in my life, at 62, 70, and 78. Might as well make them nice ones.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:01 AM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
I totally agree!
I had the cash and did put down $50k , but the remainder is earning 7% vs 1.9% finance charge. the $20k depreciation hit doesn't bother me at all for this car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0430171332b.jpg (698.1 KB, 38 views)
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:47 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
We have leased a car ever since we have been retired. Works out well.
Me too. Been leasing for over 25 years.

AND....I also finance the down payment and all other 'fees' into the lease payment.

IOW, I'm paying more monthly but rather than put down $4-5K in deposit, fees etc I'm making 6-8% with it in the market. I essentially put down about $800 at signing (for minor charges and other incidentals)
Old 06-05-2017, 05:41 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
More than one personally but certainly a +1.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:48 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Me too. Been leasing for over 25 years.

AND....I also finance the down payment and all other 'fees' into the lease payment.

IOW, I'm paying more monthly but rather than put down $4-5K in deposit, fees etc I'm making 6-8% with it in the market. I essentially put down about $800 at signing (for minor charges and other incidentals)
I look at it a slightly different way. I have way too much money (Yes, I know, 6 x annual expenses + some) in Money Market earning a pittance. This makes me feel safe. So I figure paying the lease off in one go is really paying myself the interest I am not getting in MM.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:58 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
If you think you are going to get 10 %.then if you own a house take out a monster home equity loan at maybe 4 % and its the same thing on a bigger scale. ....
I think there is a slight difference between actively going out and seeking leverage as you suggest above and just taking advantage of low interest offers for things that you plan to buy anyway. We refinanced just before retiring... more to lower our interest rate and to raise cash to invest though since were were refinancing anyway it made sense to take some cash out. When we bought a new car a year and a half ago we took advantage of the manufacturer's 1.9% financing. When we bought our new truck, the rates were not as favorable so we did finance and took the financing bonus, make a couple months payments and then paid off the loan. On both our mortgage and the car loan, we have made much more than what we paid in interest.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:04 AM   #37

they didn't ask me about a job at all. they checked my credit score and I was good to go. this was about 4 years ago though. I got a 0.9% deal so I took it.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:20 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...But damnit I am getting old now, and I deserve one new car before I die!
This is an important point. Most of us here, myself included, view cars more as an economic purchase rather that as a purchase for pleasure.

So, I buy my somewhat depreciated cars and take pleasure in beating the system But last year we spent over $40K on travel. Economically stupid? Probably. But did it give us a lot of pleasure? Absolutely. So for someone else, maybe @Mulligan, is it wrong to look at a car this way?

Different strokes for different folks.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:30 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I feel I have earned a New Car every 3 years, whether I need it or not. As a younger man I was always a car guy probably had over 200 different cars in my lifetime, from Old British sports cars Like Lotus' (about 10 differ ones of these), MGA, MGB, MGC, TR4, TR4a, TR6, Spitfire, Vitesse in my later more affluent years, Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin, BMW, Merc, Corvettes, Camaros and a lot of others too.

I am just not into the sports cars anymore like I used to be. I would like an Aston Martin Vantage, but that is totally impractical at my age and would just sit on a pedestal in the Garage most of the time, I may as well just get a Toy one and put it on a shelf in my study.

So I stick with getting a new one every 3 years and could not care less what it costs or whether it is a good or bad investment.

I have never spent $40k on travel though in any give year.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
This is an important point. Most of us here, myself included, view cars more as an economic purchase rather that as a purchase for pleasure.

So, I buy my somewhat depreciated cars and take pleasure in beating the system But last year we spent over $40K on travel. Economically stupid? Probably. But did it give us a lot of pleasure? Absolutely. So for someone else, maybe @Mulligan, is it wrong to look at a car this way?

Different strokes for different folks.
Interesting viewpoint. Never put it that way, but I don't consider cars as pleasure vehicles anymore. Just consider if it performs it's function well for the economic investment. That said, I don't like worrying about a car much either, whether it be mechanical issues or scratches or soil from everyday life. Part of the reason I like gently used vehicles and keep them to a little over 100K miles or 10 years.

I do agree with some earlier statements concerning some cars have very low depreciation in first few years thus buying new makes more sense, specifically Honda, Toyota, and in my area gotta include Subaru. Probably why I've never owned one of these cars. I seek out less popular but reliable models to purchase used.

BTW, I'm the guy who started a poll about two years ago to see what folks typically spend on their daily drivers and found I was an outlyer, I've never spent $20K to purchase a daily driver and even though bought three vehicles in 2016. still have not broken that barrier. For less than $40K total (including any items needed to pass PA state inspection) , purchased a:

2012 Hyundia Sante FE AWD with 40K miles
2010 Mercury Mariner AWD with 36K miles
2011 Ford Escape AWD with 63K miles.

The latter two are my sons' college cars. We live in Great Lakes snow belt area.

My daily driver, purchased in 2013 for $18K: 2011 Kia Sedona minivan, now has 40K miles.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote