Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Finder's fee for a suitable job?
Old 01-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Finder's fee for a suitable job?

Is it wrong that I'm strongly considering this?

My wife has been looking for a job here for a few months -- not a ridiculously good job, just $20K with mediocre medical benefits would be fine -- and it seems like even what she's totally qualified for is getting NO response; no call back for an interview, let alone a job offer.

I'm getting desperate. I'm considering a local advertisement offering a $1000 finder's fee for the person who is first to provide a lead that leads to getting her a suitable job. At this point I'm at my wit's end and wondering what else to do. (I don't think we have any professional "headhunters" to work with here.)

It seems like other than that, if you're not kin to a business owner or a hiring manager, you have little chance in a small town for a halfway decent job. The only thing I can think of that might overcome that is a showing of the green.

Can someone talk me off the ledge? On one hand it seems like a terrible idea, one of desperation and worse. But on the other hand, nothing else seems to be working and maybe this could reveal the "hidden job market" that isn't ever advertised or posted.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have you tried putting an ad in the local paper or on Craigslist advertising that she's looking for whatever type of job she's looking for? I did find a job that way years ago. And it would cost less than paying a finders fee.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
Have you tried putting an ad in the local paper or on Craigslist advertising that she's looking for whatever type of job she's looking for? I did find a job that way years ago. And it would cost less than paying a finders fee.
I thought about it, but Craigslist is pretty concentrated on the big city and its suburbs, and we're 70+ miles away from the city.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 01-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why not try it. People from your area probably ready Craigslist too. Besides, it's free. You can always go to the next step of putting an ad in a newspaper before trying to hire a headhunter type.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
Why not try it. People from your area probably ready Craigslist too. Besides, it's free. You can always go to the next step of putting an ad in a newspaper before trying to hire a headhunter type.
The money given up is the least of my concerns. I'd rather give it up today and know she has a job starting next week than wait an indeterminate amount of time praying no pink slip comes my way which ruins us. To me that is cheap peace of mind relative to what could happen down the road.

I just worry about the tackiness factor that could work to our disadvantage. It's not the money that worries me. I just feel like this might be the only way to reveal the "hidden job market" in a small town.

But yeah, I guess it wouldn't hurt to put something in. Commuting ~30 miles to adjacent towns is fine, but for that level of expected pay a 150 mile round trip every day is out of the question. Of course, we may have to move at some point if nothing comes up, and this would be a LOT cheaper than moving.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

My wife has been looking for a job here for a few months -- not a ridiculously good job, just $20K with mediocre medical benefits would be fine -- and it seems like even what she's totally qualified for is getting NO response; no call back for an interview, let alone a job offer.

I'm getting desperate. I'm considering a local advertisement offering a $1000 finder's fee for the person who is first to provide a lead that leads to getting her a suitable job. At this point I'm at my wit's end and wondering what else to do. (I don't think we have any professional "headhunters" to work with here.)

It seems like other than that, if you're not kin to a business owner or a hiring manager, you have little chance in a small town for a halfway decent job. The only thing I can think of that might overcome that is a showing of the green.

Can someone talk me off the ledge? On one hand it seems like a terrible idea, one of desperation and worse. But on the other hand, nothing else seems to be working and maybe this could reveal the "hidden job market" that isn't ever advertised or posted.
Didn't work too well for the Illinois Gov. - but the guy looks like he may get seated.

You are only kidding. Right?

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My wife has been looking for a job here for a few months -- not a ridiculously good job, just $20K with mediocre medical benefits would be fine --
Now I could be totally wrong, because I am pretty far out of touch with the job market these days.... but with medical benefits skyrocketing in price and becoming so far out of sight for the average American, isn't it becoming less and less likely to find a low paying job in which medical benefits are included? Sure, I would imagine you can still find medical benefits in a job that pays $45K, but $20K? From what I understand, those that offer medical benefits for such low pay are so uncommon that we all know their names - - Starbucks, Home Depot, and so on.

I wonder if perhaps you may be sending her out on a nearly impossible quest. Jobs at that low pay rate with medical benefits probably ARE going to the boss's daughter in law, and so on. But then, what do I know? I haven't looked for a job for a long time.

I don't know about a finder's fee. I think that may be sending your wife the message that "although I can find a job, you are so inferior that nobody would hire you unless I pay them to do it". When in fact, it may not be her so much as the type of job she is searching for, that is at fault.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Now I could be totally wrong, because I am pretty far out of touch with the job market these days.... but with medical benefits skyrocketing in price and becoming so far out of sight for the average American, isn't it becoming less and less likely to find a low paying job in which medical benefits are included? Sure, I would imagine you can still find medical benefits in a job that pays $45K, but $20K?
I'd have to agree with you on that .
$6.55 is minimum wage it would take about $10/hr to earn 20K/year - That is a tough wage area - a lot of competition for jobs - depending upon the part of the country.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

C'mon there are jobs, but there are also lots of people looking for jobs. Without posting her resume' I can't imagine that we can really help. Things like when was the last time she worked and what did she do would be helpful. She can probably work in a gas station or convenience store, a burger flipper, a busboy, retail clerk, grocery store clerk, etc to start with. Anyways, what are her qualifications that make it hard to find a job?

Of course, employers know when you don't really need a job and that you will quit after 2 weeks or less, so why would they want to hire you in that case?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

It is tough getting back into the job market. I applied for a part time law job in an area I am interested in moving to. I am more than qualified as it is in my area of expertise. I didn't even get a call back. Odds are it is age or "over experience" discrimination.

How small is your town? Is she doing personal visits? Calling up business owners and talking to them not just about working for them but for anyone else?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
It is tough getting back into the job market. I applied for a part time law job in an area I am interested in moving to. I am more than qualified as it is in my area of expertise. I didn't even get a call back. Odds are it is age or "over experience" discrimination.

How small is your town? Is she doing personal visits? Calling up business owners and talking to them not just about working for them but for anyone else?
I'm convinced that age discrimination is alive and well in the USA.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Um, an outsider in a small town? She might consider volunteer work until she is accepted. I've seen it happen very quickly in other contexts. For instance, a friend was a member of an art organization for many years, every year she submitted a painting to show, every year her painting was rejected until she started volunteering. In fact they showed a painting that had been turned down for a previous show. BTW, her volunteer work consisted of helping hang the pictures for the shows and doing some greeting.

It's a tough one, Ziggy.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I second Joe's suggestion she try volunteering as a way to get a foot in the door. Although it may take more time than you would like, it is an excellent way to get some doors to open and lead to job opportunities. I grew up in a small town and know it can be difficult if you move there and are an "outsider".
Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Actually, she has been pretty active in volunteer work in the community and surrounding areas for the last couple of years. (One of them led to what really left us feeling burned and hung out to dry last year.) She's chaired a couple of volunteer organizations and is the regional volunteer coordinator for a fund raising effort by the ACS.

The thing is, I still get the feeling even in this lousy economy there is a considerable "hidden" job market -- stuff that's never advertised, that people "inside" the business know, and they privately may tell friends and family that it's open. We need a way to crack that hidden market so we can know about the openings that may be coming up.

It might be part being overqualified (mostly looking for admin/clerical/retail supervisory work in a place where only about 15% of the population has a four-year degree), it may be a matter of being an "outsider" or not in the right families long-established in the community, it may be a matter of using "big city" search tactics in smaller towns (not just here, but communities within 30-35 miles of us in all directions).

And to address an earlier reply, in a small town like this one the entry-level "career" oriented jobs (full time with benefits) DO start in the $9-12 per hour range. Thus a $20-25K full-time, career-oriented job is not unusual here. In the cities there wouldn't be much like that, but out here where labor is "cheap," it's about typical. Many entry level full-time state and county jobs for people with degrees may not even pay $2000 a month.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Ziggy , Has she considered local hospitals or medical buildings ? They have lots of clerical positions and they usually offer health benefits .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post

Several years ago I applied for a position that I had eleven years experience in and it was a highly specialized field so not a lot of experienced people . I was also never called back . Age discrimination is alive & well .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

When DW and I moved to the itty bitty town a few years ago, we knew that here there is a line of locals waiting for relatives to die in their jobs. Outsiders have a snowballs chance in hell for any sort of paying w*rk.
That is just the way it is, and has been for the last hundred or so years.
Volunteers though, are constantly sought after.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

What is here experience and in what field. I am sure we could help you if we had some more info......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
When DW and I moved to the itty bitty town a few years ago, we knew that here there is a line of locals waiting for relatives to die in their jobs. Outsiders have a snowballs chance in hell for any sort of paying w*rk.
That is just the way it is, and has been for the last hundred or so years.
Volunteers though, are constantly sought after.
Been there, done that...and can you believe I was turned down for volunteer work at a local senior center, unless I was willing to just answer phones. I wanted to be with people - reading, playing cards, writing a letter on my laptop for them if vision impaired, what not.
I wasn't that desperate to volunteer there.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Are you networking? Sounds like it, since she is volunteering everywhere.

If she is overqualified, then change her resume to make her look adequately qualified. Don't list college education. Make past experience seem less important than it really is. Do the opposite of embellishing the resume.

She needs to come off as someone who wants to work in that particular job and is willing to be devoted to it, and not quit in 6 months. They probably assume an older lady with good education and experience wouldn't stay long in a position that pays more in line with what a 20-something would expect.

If I was hiring someone for an entry level "pink collar" position at $20-25k a year, I'd be looking at a less experienced person that would probably be younger and more reliant on the job and the income instead of someone with much more experience and options available, that might quit at a moment's notice.

I wonder if they fear your wife may quit if you change jobs as well.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote