Finding Good post-ER Health Insurance

NYC Guy

Dryer sheet wannabe
I checked ehealthinsurance.com and found a full-boat plan for a family of 3 for about 900 a month in my state. I wanted to research high-deductible policies (say with a 10k deductible a year) just to insure us against medical catastrophes, not against normal medical expenses. Has anyone researched this? I can pay for regular visits, normal prescription drugs (but what about chemo or something like that?), and dentistry etc. I only want a plan that will cover very large amounts of hospital bills if something really bad should happen. Also, has anyone looked into international health insurance? Thanks

Check out BC/BS high deductible PPO with HSA.

For Intl- call Petersen's at 800-345-8816- Lloyd's Correspondent- or MultiNational Underwriters at 800-605-2282

How do I contact them for information? Just call BC/BS and buy direct? Sorry to be so dense, I've always worked for large companies.

Look into Golden Rule.  We are in CT and have a high deductible policy for 2 adults, age 44 and 45, for $193 per month - $5,000 deductible, no prescription coverage.   But they'll turn you down if you are overweight.

If you buy directly from Golden Rule instead of buying through ehealthinsurance.com, you'll pay less (no middleman).

We buy meds, some from Canada (save about 40% over U.S. prices), others we buy through my union plan and save about 20%.  We both are on high cholesterol meds, say Lipitor 20 mg; we clear it with the doc and get Lipitor 40 mg and split them - that saves a lot.

Golden Rule was recommended by a doctor we know - he said docs and hospitals like it - they pay fast.

Sparky - Does no prescription coverage also apply to chemo or cancer drugs, or just to regular medications like antibiotics or Lipitor? Also, if one doesn't have a union plan, how would one cut down the cost of buying the drugs? Do some pharmacies negotiate, for example? Thx.

I have looked for high deductable insurance in NY but found none.
At least I will have Cobra starting for 18 months starting in September. Still not very cheap. The 1st 12 months for PPO 500 ded will cost me $524/month for me alone.

MJ said:
I have looked for high deductable insurance in NY but found not.
At least I will have Cobra starting for 18 months starting in September. Still not very cheap. The 1st 12 months for PPO 500 ded will cost me $524/month for me alone.

Ouch, that hurts. I thought hubby and I paid quite a bit when both of us were in between jobs at $200/month for family coverage (included prescription and dental). But, I guess that's the Canadian in me talking...I'm used to cheap healthcare premiums :p

Sparky said:
We both are on high cholesterol meds, say Lipitor 20 mg; we clear it with the doc and get Lipitor 40 mg and split them - that saves a lot.

It may save you some money, but Lipitor 40 is not scored for splitting, so you're going to get uneven splits and chipping.  You might be better off saving money by buying online from Canada.

Calgary_Girl said:
Ouch, that hurts. I thought hubby and I paid quite a bit when both of us were in between jobs at $200/month for family coverage (included prescription and dental). But, I guess that's the Canadian in me talking...I'm used to cheap healthcare premiums :p

Fantastic and thats CN$ too.
That's why I am considering moving from the East coast possibly to NM where the climate and health insurance will be a lot more agreeable to me.
In NM, I can get a BC/BS PPO with $2000 ded and $20 co-pay for $178.

I looked into this (hi-deductible policies) a LOT when I er'ed...and found what you can buy, and what it costs, varies tremendously by state.

In my state, Mass, your options are extrememly limited. I think NY is similar. In over-regulated states like this the state govt doesn't even want you to be able sell hi-deductible policies (the fear being that then employers will dump all their employee's into one to save money), but it frustrating for people like me that actually wanted to buy one.

In my general area, Maine and Virginia where the two places where I could get a $10K deductible BC/BS policy for about $200/month for the whole familiy...I even did the math and determined it would actually be cheaper to buy a cheap house in maine, declare it my primary residence, make the mortgage payments and still come out ahead from the $1000/month I was paying here.

retire@40 said:
It may save you some money, but Lipitor 40 is not scored for splitting, so you're going to get uneven splits and chipping.  You might be better off saving money by buying online from Canada.

Nahhh... you can just get one of these at any drugstore for a couple of bucks:

3160-a.jpg

oaxaca said:
Nahhh... you can just get one of these at any drugstore for a couple of bucks:
That's a regular pill cutter... you're better off cutting the pill with a sharp knife.

I recently have been prescribed Lovastatin which has lowered my numbers significantly. I suggested to the doctor that I drop to 20mg from 40mg dose. He agreed to the experiment, but told me cut the pills in half instead of changing the prescription (it is due for a refill). I mentioned that I had read that you shouldn't cut the pills because of time release integrity or something. His assistant checked specifically with the pharmacist and the conclusion was - cut the pills in half.
Is the lipitor pill oddly shaped? - because I bought a pill cutter like the one pictured above, and I'd be hard pressed to cut the pills anywhere near as exact as it does.

That article is accurate.

Autopsies on heart attack victims showed 50% had perfectly beautiful cholesterol numbers.

(New research shows not ALL LDL ("bad" cholesterol) is bad- another story.)

C-Reactive Protein (CRP) and Homocysteine levels are MUCH better predictors of heart problems/death than cholesterol- fish oil (not the crap you buy in stores- pharmaceutical grade) helps both of these levels drop.

Statins- if you must take them- wipe out your heart's CoQ10 leading to hypertension- 200mg/day CoQ10 will help avoid hypertension safely (I use Jarrow).

Fish oil will protect against the side effects of statins if you must take statins- stopped my severe arm/hand muscle cramps/contractions FAST (10 g day).

P.S. I take coumadin (warfarin) and my UCSF Anti Coag MD has NO problem with my taking fish oil- although if I have signs of bleeding- that will change.

I've tried several fish oils- got the best results at www.DrDavesBest.com

I'm not paid in any way- I just think he's got thre best stuff.

NYC Guy and MJ,
I live in NY State also, and don't think they have 'given' us any high deductible plans yet for individuals. (I still have Oxford from my former employer -- 5 years later -- one of the better deals I've negotiated).

Let me know if you do find one. I figure it's a matter of time...

Maybe we should be writing Albany.

Looks like going without health coverage isn't going to be an option if you live in TaxaMassachusetts...

REW

Mandatory health insurance at issue
Massachusetts proposal stirs interest but details scant

By Kristen Gerencher, MarketWatch
Last Update: 1:01 PM ET June 23, 2005

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- A proposal from the governor of Massachusetts that would penalize that state's uninsured residents financially if they didn't buy their own health coverage is meeting with cautious optimism among insurers that may be affected.

Governor Mitt Romney said Monday the proposal encompasses several health-care initiatives aimed at reducing the estimated $1 billion that taxpayers pay each year to care for the 460,000 residents, or 7% of the state's population, who don't have health insurance.

The plan, known as an individual mandate, would require uninsured residents who don't qualify for any of the state's low-income programs to buy an individual policy or agree to pay out of their own pockets for medical care they may receive. Those who don't comply would risk tax penalties and wage garnishment.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...461-4322-870A-F23643B091FC}&siteid=mktw&dist=

REWahoo! said:
Looks like going without health coverage isn't going to be an option if you live in TaxaMassachusetts...

This seems like a very good idea to me. It will have to be combined with some sort of community rating-maybe age and sex only for example. Most ERs who don't have group insurance would probably be helped by this sort of plan.

Sen Breaux of LA, no one's dirty lib, proposed a similar regime nationally.

Interesting that even Aetna is behind it. In fact it appears that they proposed it before the governor did.

haha

HaHa said:
This seems like a very good idea to me. It will have to be combined with some sort of community rating-maybe age and sex only for example.

I'd go for the "sex only" option. Wonder how often it is required? ;)

REW

Yeah, probably age and sex should not be put in the same sentence.

Ha

Art said:
That article is accurate.

Autopsies on heart attack victims showed 50% had perfectly beautiful cholesterol numbers.

(New research shows not ALL LDL ("bad" cholesterol) is bad- another story.)

C-Reactive Protein (CRP) and Homocysteine levels are MUCH better predictors of heart problems/death than cholesterol- fish oil (not the crap you buy in stores- pharmaceutical grade) helps both of these levels drop.

Statins- if you must take them- wipe out your heart's CoQ10 leading to hypertension- 200mg/day CoQ10 will help avoid hypertension safely (I use Jarrow).

Fish oil will protect against the side effects of statins if you must take statins- stopped my severe arm/hand muscle cramps/contractions FAST (10 g day).

P.S. I take coumadin (warfarin) and my UCSF Anti Coag MD has NO problem with my taking fish oil- although if I have signs of bleeding- that will change.

I've tried several fish oils- got the best results at www.DrDavesBest.com

I'm not paid in any way- I just think he's got thre best stuff.

Well........this is good to know! I was suppose to go see my doc tomorrow for a cholesterol check and renew my prescription, but I think I will cancel now. Save the doc and drug copay!  :LOL:

DOG50 said:
Well........this is good to know! I was suppose to go see my doc tomorrow for a cholesterol check and renew my prescription, but I think I will cancel now. Save the doc and drug copay!  :LOL:

I assume you're kidding- but just in case: I am not an MD. What I post is based on peer-reviewed research, and in some cases, my own experience- but never discontinue meds without prior med. authorization. But there's no harm in gretting started on fish oil and CoQ10 if you're on statins- just keep your MD advised.

Mmmm hmmm...eat pills, jump through hoops, let doctors poke holes in you, die anyway. Probably from the pills or the hole poking :p

Back
Top Bottom