Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

FIRE Calc vs TRowe Calc
Old 06-12-2006, 07:26 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

FIRE Calc vs TRowe Calc

I was playing around with the both the FIRE calc and the TRowe calc and noticed that the TRowe calc seems to give much more conservative results. On average I seem to be getting a 3.5% withdrawl rate (100% success) using the FIRE calc but only a 2.8% WR using TRowe. The methodologies seem similar as do the expected rates of return. I know small differences add up to a lot over time but as anyone looked at this before? Anyone know what the big difference is between the two calcs?

Thx
lbymfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: FIRE Calc vs TRowe Calc
Old 06-12-2006, 07:30 AM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

TRowe calc link:* http://www3.troweprice.com/ric/RIC/
lbymfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:37 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbymfire
I was playing around with the both the FIRE calc and the TRowe calc and noticed that the TRowe calc seems to give much more conservative results.... Anyone know what the big difference is between the two calcs?
My guess would be the primary difference is the motivation of the designers.

Dory has no dog in the fight; TRowe wants to encourage people to invest more, for a longer period, and with them.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

among other things, more extreme situations are possible when simulated* than those which have been observed in the FIRECALC history, hence a lower SWR. (this does not suggest a deficiency for either.)* TRP also automatically adjusts (down) the equity exposure over time, which would/could/might also reduce the SWR.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:28 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Using TRP calculator with a 35 year run out, I can withdraw 13% more per month by using a 25/40/35 allocation over a 40/40/20 split. That seems a bit odd.*
Old 06-12-2006, 10:23 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Primary difference is that the trowe price calculator uses monte carlo simulations, which are usually either more conservative or less conservative than reality, due to the lack of any market movement correlations from year to year.

Firecalc uses actual historical serial data, with the mysterious correlations intact.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Primary difference is that the trowe price calculator uses monte carlo simulations, which are usually either more conservative or less conservative than reality, due to the lack of any market movement correlations from year to year.

Firecalc uses actual historical serial data, with the mysterious correlations intact.
yep, that's why I always like to test using both MC, rolling historical, and boostrap just to see the difference between the three

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:55 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I just spent a few minutes looking at how my portfolio survived the depression era and the 64-84 period. I would have made it through those.

Then I looked at what changes I'd have to make to my investing strategy to survive something much worse than that, and it was dramatically different and excessive. Taking that "fail safe" strategy and seeing how well it did during average to good times showed that I would be leaving significant money on the table by trying to insure against a worst than worse scenario.

There are plenty of scary things going on that could lead to "worse than the worst", but there have always been plenty of scary things going on and we made it through those.

With that in mind, further simulation/calculation/modelling seemed at best an interesting intellectual exercise of not much importance.

I also always remember that I dont have to outrun the bear, just be faster than the rest of its potential meals. Having my portfolio drop 50-80% in value wont matter much if i'm still in the top 1-5% of wealth holders.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Does TRP take in to consideration Social Security, as I believe Fire does? Can someone explain?
runnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:16 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
My guess would be the primary difference is the motivation of the designers.

Dory has no dog in the fight; TRowe wants to encourage people to invest more, for a longer period, and with them.

BINGO!!!! TRP (and the rest of the 'financial industry') wants you to work forever! and keep putting money into their funds so they can profit.
PS - The employees at TRP probably use 'Firecalc' when figuring their own FIRE program!
EDIT - I just visited the TRP site and played with their calculator - IMHO the TRP program is a piece of junk compared to FIRECALC - don't waste your time!!
Old 06-12-2006, 10:43 PM   #11

I gave up on the T Rowe Price calculator years ago.* It's brutal.* With a Monte Carlo sim, besides the sequence issues, someone had to setup the bounds on the returns used, both positive and negative.* And what was used to set those bounds?* Who knows?* And if we did know what the bounds were, would we agree with them?* What would we use as a standard?* Questions, questions...

As for I-Orp, I gave up on it almost as soon as I found it.* Good withdrawal planning to minimize taxes, but that's it.* The user has to put in returns rate.* How would we do that?* In that case, its not much better than your own spreadsheet.* Actually, mine's better!*
Old 06-13-2006, 06:17 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I used to use TRP until I found this group and Dory's Firecalc. But the impresssion I had with TRP is that 90% was considered a very high level of safety (presumably because it models a-historical runs). With Firecalc we are all looking for 100% survival against all historical precedents.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:52 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

see "Selecting a program retirement planning" under "free publications" at http://www.analyzenow.com for a short complaint about monte carlo simulations.
rmark is offline   Reply With Quote